Which Credit Card

silverhead6736

Sailing on the Queen Mary 11 round the world voyage and wondering which credit card I should use to pay my account.

I have just signed up with Halifax Clarity and used it for an extended holiday in Mallorca. I am suprised at the so few extra charges,with this card.

Therefore is this the card to use to settle my onboard account and any other expenses, tours etc.

Appreciate others comments particularly with exchange rates as they are.

Sailing on the Queen Mary 11 round the world voyage and wondering which credit card I should use to pay my account.

I have just signed up with Halifax Clarity and used it for an extended holiday in Mallorca. I am suprised at the so few extra charges,with this card.

Therefore is this the card to use to settle my onboard account and any other expenses, tours etc.

That's the one I use - I think the exchange rates are excellent. I also use Nationwide on travels abroad - mainly for cash withdrawals when necessary.

Perhaps irrelevant at the moment but I also watch the exchange rates and sometimes buy to my dollar account with the likes of UKForex or similar for withdrawal in cash.

This doesn't directly address your question, but I would recommend using different cards for settling the ship account and using ashore. On our first trip on Cunard a number of years ago, fraud alerts after using my card in port also froze my account on board ship creating an extra level of hassles to get everything put right again.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

I would suggest at least 2 cards with different banks. As usual, we stayed at Southampton the night before sailing, and our credit card was compromised somewhere that day and it was stopped. Panic, it was the only card I had at that time! Contacted the bank that evening, and they couriered a new card to the local branch next morning before we sailed.

I always use 2 credit cards Nationwide gives me very low interest rates but has a lower draw value & the other Barclaycard has higher rates but with a higher draw availability (my wife also has her cards as well ) The lower one I use on the ship & for shore side purchases the other one is always left in the safe, The reason for 2 cards is in the event of a Medical emergency abroad the 1st thing that the medic asks is Not what's the problem Its what card are you using to pay, Even thought the Insurance will pay the bill you still have to pay the bill & claim the money back later.

Edited by zider

For those in the UK, This is a new way of not getting bank charges, you do need a mobile phone though.

https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard

I have a Travelex Multicurrency Cash Passport/Supercard and I agree they are fantastic, because you can lock in when the exchange rates are good and prebuy your currency for withdrawal at any ATM in port, and you can top them up whilst yo are travelling, but I would never lodge one of these cards as a credit card on board a ship, or they will continually put a hold on your currency throughout the cruise!!:eek:

I also prepurchase USD cash currency with The Currency Club when the rates are good and lodge it on board with the intention of paying off most of my on board account to avoid fluctuations. I am waiting for the US election in a few days as I see that as a potential buying opportunity.

https://www.thecurrencyclub.co.uk/msts/

Edited by Lobbylin

Hi Silverhead6736,

I am on part of your world voyage, from Southampton to Sydney, then disembark for 5 days, before returning for the Sydney to Hong Kong segment and having never been on part of a world cruise, I am curious if the ship settles our on board account at the end of every leg, or just when you disembark?

I have a Travelex Multicurrency Cash Passport/Supercard and I agree they are fantastic, because you can lock in when the exchange rates are good and prebuy your currency for withdrawal at any ATM in port, and you can top them up whilst yo are travelling, but I would never lodge one of these cards as a credit card on board a ship, or they will continually put a hold on your currency throughout the cruise!!:eek:

I also prepurchase USD cash currency with The Currency Club when the rates are good and lodge it on board with the intention of paying off most of my on board account to avoid fluctuations. I am waiting for the US election in a few days as I see that as a potential buying opportunity.

https://www.thecurrencyclub.co.uk/msts/

Agree completely and was not implying such behaviour. In fact it tells you not to in the Q&A section, however This Supercard is different in that you link it to your credit/debit card and do not get the charges, leaving pre buy rates to the Multi currency card or similar.

Edited by Pennbank

Agree completely and was not implying such behaviour. In fact it tells you not to in the Q&A section, however This Supercard is different in that you link it to your credit/debit card and do not get the charges, leaving pre buy rates to the Multi currency card or similar.

Thanks Pennebank for the clarification - I did wonder why they brought out the Supercard vs the cash passport....now I can see the difference in that you don't know what the conversion rate will be, but equally you don't get any exchange rate fees.

You have to be so clued up to get the most from your hard earned money!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Silverhead6736,

I am on part of your world voyage, from Southampton to Sydney, then disembark for 5 days, before returning for the Sydney to Hong Kong segment and having never been on part of a world cruise, I am curious if the ship settles our on board account at the end of every leg, or just when you disembark?

Hello Lobbylin....sorry its taken a few days to get back to you. Accounts are usuallly settled at the end of each leg by the ship drawing on your nominated credit card. However you can settle when you like. Before disembark I usually get all my cash together, usually dollars, and take it down to the office and cash it in against my account.On each leg , each passenger is entitled to a bottle duty free from the shop to drink in your cabin,its a worthwhile concession. However we found on the QE rtw earlier this year that at a lot of ports you passed through a duty free shop to return to the ship, so you could buy to take aboard. Never short of a drink in the cabin. When we visited Petra from Aquba the captain laid on a chapagne reception on the quay before rejoing the ship....a nice touch.

Enjoy. Silverhead6736

Hello Lobbylin....sorry its taken a few days to get back to you. Accounts are usuallly settled at the end of each leg by the ship drawing on your nominated credit card. However you can settle when you like. Before disembark I usually get all my cash together, usually dollars, and take it down to the office and cash it in against my account.On each leg , each passenger is entitled to a bottle duty free from the shop to drink in your cabin,its a worthwhile concession. However we found on the QE rtw earlier this year that at a lot of ports you passed through a duty free shop to return to the ship, so you could buy to take aboard. Never short of a drink in the cabin. When we visited Petra from Aquba the captain laid on a chapagne reception on the quay before rejoing the ship....a nice touch.

Enjoy. Silverhead6736

Thanks Silverhead for the tips & info!

I am watching the US$ at the moment to buy a little more for the on board account, the recent Hillary FBI news is levelling the playing field, so too early to buy just yet, might get a bit more exciting lol!:eek:

Will remember to pay off our account before the end of each leg..;)

Edited by Lobbylin