mother daughter cruise to nassau

Gymjenn14

i am surprising my 11 year old daughter with a mother daughter cruise on jan 3rd. we will be a nassau and coco cay for 1 day each from 8am to 5pm. i have coco cay set as we will just do the beach, nature walk, and maybe the ocean play ground stuff but mostly just relax on the beach. I am struggling a bit with nassau. We are fairly experienced travelers and i typically don't book tours with the cruise lines, but do it locally but the idea that it is just my daughter and i and the reports of crime i am finding i am a little nervous about nassau. I was thinking early morning tour to blue lagoon for the animal experience (either dolphin or sea lion) and then return to the port since we did a beach day the day before. I was then hoping to see some of nassau maybe the straw market and queens staircase before getting an authentic meal and heading back to the boat. I was thinking the fish fry but am wondering if there is a better option. please let me know if it would be safe for my daughter and i to explore the straw market/fish fry/queens staircase on our own or should i look at booking two separate tours? i figure if we book a 10am experience at blue lagoon we would be back to the port by 1pm, in time for lunch and some exploring

I believe the first ferry back to port from Blue Lagoon is at 1 PM. That won't get you back until 1:30-2 (the ferry ride is about 30 minutes). I don't think you'd have time to sight see in town and get to the Fish Fry.

You could try a closer restaurant like Bahamian Cookin, which is in town: http://bahamiancookin.com/ I can't personally recommend it because I haven't eaten there but I've read good things. Look it up on Trip Advisor and see what you think.

The straw market is very near the cruise port and there will be hundreds of other tourists around so you'll be safe. Just beware of pushy salespeople. :)

Edited by CruisinCrow