Am i spoiled?

My first cruise I took was in 2003 on Voyager of the seas. I absolutely loved it. Now im going on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera on Vision of the seas. I’m worried that I have been spoiled by the Voyager and will not enjoy my experience as much as on Vision. Can anyone relate to this that has done something similar?

Thanks

My first cruise I took was in 2003 on Voyager of the seas. I absolutely loved it. Now im going on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera on Vision of the seas. I’m worried that I have been spoiled by the Voyager and will not enjoy my experience as much as on Vision. Can anyone relate to this that has done something similar?

Thanks

I can relate. After sailing the Star Princess, we went on the Monarch of the Seas, which is considerably smaller and older. However, what we loved about cruising was the same. Even without some of the bells and whistles of the newer ships, we didn't feel as if we were missing out. In fact, I thought it was fairly comparable in most respects.

Ask yourself what made the Voyager cruise for you. If it was the indoor shopping mall and ice skating rink, then you will be disappointed. However, if it was the cruise experience itself, the service and food that RCI provides, and an overall good time, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I, personally, am a fan of the larger ships with more entertainment, shopping, etc and wouldn't cruise on a smaller ship if I had the option. I like to have lots to do when not in port. However, my parents are the complete opposite. They like the smaller ships with less to do because they are there to relax not be entertained. While I'm there to relax, I'm also there to have a good time. Like the previous post said, you just have to figure out what's most important to you and what you like/expect on a cruise. Either way, you'll be cruising so what's not to love? :)

I've sailed both Navigator and Vision within about 6 months of each other, and I liked them both for different reasons. I loved the promenade on Navigator, but I thought that Vision felt a lot less crowded, even though it's smaller. The thing I missed most about Navigator wasn't even one of the features they advertise - it was being able to sit up on the helipad right at the bow of the ship. Your very own "I'm king of the world" moment.

The Vision is a beautiful ship. I think it'll give you a whole different view of cruising. Like IMNiles said - it feels less crowded. Still plenty of entertainment options, but it's a different feel than the Voyager class ships.

Like IMNiles, we were on the Navigator in Sept. 04 and the Vision in May 05. We loved both for the different atmospheres they had. Both had the Solarium, which I enjoyed, and a rock wall. Am not too into shopping, so did not miss the "mall" while on the Vision - too much to do anyway:D ! Did miss Johnny Rockets, I do admit, but ate way too much to complain. Go with an open mind, and you will have a great time. Also loved the Mexican Riviera ports (Vision) - they were fantastic!

Thanks

I have done both and would never cruise Voyager again. I enjoyed Vision and my favorite RCI ships are Radiance Class.

I did not like what so many do about Voyager: the sheer size, the Grande Promenade, Johnny Rockets, ice rink, etc. It attracts many families and felt too busy for me.

This is very much a matter of personal taste.

Haven't been on Vision yet (Feb) but I am consistently surprised at how nice the smaller or older ships (Rhapsody, Grandeur, Legend) are on RCI. My faves are the Radiance class, next would be the ones the size of the Vision, lastly the Voyager class. Not sure why, but that's how they rank to me!

We've not cruised on a Vision class ship, but love both the Radiance class and Voyager class. Plus, we've cruised on ships as diverse as Norwegian Coastal Voyages old Midnatsol to the original Pacific Princess to the ill-fated US Lines Patriot. I can honestly say we've never had a cruise we didn't enjoy. Yes, we love some ships more than others, but I'm certain we'd have a wonderful time on Vision (and hope to do so in the future).

Now to actually answer your question. My sister and BIL had their first cruise, with us, on Mariner last year. It was love at first cruise. They just cruised the Vision last month and had a fabulous time. Yes, they missed some of the features of the larger class, but said that the Vision was special in her own way. They loved all the glass and didn't really miss not having all the alternate dining venues--as mentioned, it's not like there won't be plenty of food on board. All in all, they said they'd cruise on a Vision class again without hesitation.

In all honesty though, none of us can know whether you will like it. Only you can decide that. I do believe that if you go in thinking that you won't like the Vision or that you'll miss the "goodies" of the larger ship or that you won't have as much fun, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If you simply consider the Vision on her own (without constant comparison) then you will probably have a blast.

Hope this helps.

beachchick

Voyager was our very first cruise and then we sailed on Vision 5 months later. It was noticably smaller but also seemed like it was easier to get to know people. Being a smaller ship we tended to see alot of the same faces throughout the week and had some great conversations - something we did not encounter while on Voyager. My main disappointment was that Vision didnt have a basketball/volleyball court but I still survived without one. There were still plenty of places to get away and relax in the sun (or the shade) on both ships.

However, I did feel more conscious of the amenities we did not have on Vision so when we went back to the Mexican Riviera we booked NCL Star to have more dining options and a bigger ship (and while we loved the big ship, we noticed that much like on Voyager, we didnt run into the same people as often and chit-chat like we did on Vision).

All 3 cruises we have been on have been great and drastically different from each other in amenities, decor, etc and while there were things we liked and disliked on each, nothing was so great that'd we'd only sail that ship again or so terrible that we'd never sail that ship again either. You should still have as much fun - it will just be different. Enjoy!

Good Morning Frank, Just my 2 cents worth, from over here in Rainy England on a Saturday morning. Although I have not sailed on the Vision, I have sailed on "The Legend of the Seas" , which is very similiar. We spent 14 days this summer cruising in the Mediterranean. And had a wonderful cruise experience. The elegance and style of the ship, combined with the warm friendly atmosphere, was brilliant. You immediately felt welcome as soon as you stepped onboard and very much at home. The staff and crew all became friends... not just passing faces... as did the fellow passengers. We were never part of the crowd..never Just A Number. The wonderful floor to ceiling glass windows filled the ship with brilliant rays of sunlight and amazing views of bright blue seas at every turn and the 7 tier atrium, with it's marble staircases and glass elevators was simply gorgeous. Everyday onboard was better than the one before. The windjammer with its' forward position overloooking the bow, its' panoramic views where we watched dolphin leaping one day during lunch, we loved. The two tiered Romeo and Juliet Dining Room..was sheer beauty and refinement and again with amazing full length windows of which I had a front row seat. Sailing in to all the ports, and especially at anchor in the French Riviera and the Algarve, was like being a movie star or one of the Rich and Famous. There I was eating my breakfast in the Windjammer ....with all the Riviera stretched out in front of me... and private yachts were circling around to see and photograph US!

Sailing on a ship of the Vision Class, which at 70,000 tons I do not consider small, is a more personal, intimate and certainly more romantic experience. It represents cruising at its' Best! The Mega Ships offer Shopping Malls, Ice Skating, Ten Restaurants,Sports decks and 3000 plus people and miles apart from one place to the next. It is a roller coaster..and an olympic event..( especially if onboard for only 7 days)... to try to see and do anything. You are racing to cover so big an area and fit so much in. What about the ports and Just enjoying the ship as a ship?

I personally "would " sail on Any Ship and All size ships for the experience and would enjoy it. So I am not spitefully criticizing the big ships..just because I have not been on one. But I prefer cruising and sea views..lots of light and bright and knowing that I am on a ship and enjoying the many ports. That is my priority and That is why we have booked again for next summer on the Legend. I was certainly not bored or short of activites.. just the opposite... I Couldn't do all that I wanted. I never got to any of the classes offered or many different daytime entertainment shows and games. Then There were the bar b ques...Chocolate buffets.. midnight sailaway parties... "the one from Villefranche was amazing"...Fireworks going off from Monaco and All the harbor lit around us as we partied on deck and danced to music under the stars ..while the Legend slipped anchor and quietly sailed away. Shows in the theatres, guest acts (The American Drifters were fabulous) Dance Bands. and just enjoying drinks in the Royal Crown Lounge right up on top of the world. It was a perfect cruise.

As has been said, the choice is the option of having a cruise experience... or a Disney come mini vegas experience..and which is more important to you. The main reviews on mega ships... nearly always refer to Johnny Rockets, Portofino, ice skating, Royal Promenade Etc. They are the features...and Great Ones! In the End.. All the RC Ships are gorgeous..so you can't go wrong whichever you choose and It would certainly be Hard to be Disappointed! ... Have a wonderful Vacation and Happy Sailing!!! carol |

Thanks

Yes you are spoiled but aren't we all... we all know the fun of cruising :p

But to answer you question.. Our first cruise was on the navigator and after that I was afraid (for the same reason you are) to pick a smaller ship so we booked our next cruise on the voyager. When we booked our third cruise we picked the adventure. All eagle/voyager class ships. But we made one "mistake" by booking almost a year in advance... this was to long for us to wait so we wanted to book an other cruise but where somewhat on a butget and decided that a smaller ship would be better than no cruise at all.

Bottom line: we loved every minute of our Majesty cruise even after being spoiled by the larger ships.

I have been on quite a few cruises on several different lines.I have never had a cruise or ship that I didn't enjoy.While the larger ships have more bells and whistles you may not use them all.My favorite so far has been the Radiance.While it didn't have everything the Voyager class does,there was so much to see and do I couldn't do it all in a week.I think everyone feels a little spoiled by their first cruise.It is new and exciting.You had such a great time it's natural to wonder if another ship would be just as much fun.Remember also while the Voyager may be a smaller ship it is by no means small.Instead of worrying about whether you will enjoy it as much start being excited about a whole new cruise experience and the new places you will visit this time.ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!!

but I thought that Vision felt a lot less crowded, even though it's smaller.

I have only been on one cruise and that was on the vision last Christmas. I have seen many posts where people say that the Vision is smaller, well I will say that the first time I saw the Vision I was blown away on how big it really is. I really don't think calling the Vision class ships small is right. I think we should call them not as large.

I loved every second of my cruise on the Vision, execpt the last second when I had to get off the ship.

I personally don't care for the Voyager class ships-- don't get me wrong.. they're amazing, beautiful vessels, however they're just too big and impersonal for my liking. You hardly see the same passengers over and over, it's hard to build a rapport with the crew, as there are just soooo many places to go, and the lack of windows really doesn't make me feel like I'm on a cruise. The Radiance calss are my favorites, but there's just something about the Vision class that I really love. They're bright, airy and have loads of glass. They're big enough to make you comfortable, and it's very easy to make friends with other passengers and crew. The ship just makes you feel at home. For a real treat, I recommend sailing the Empress, yes the cabins are very small and yes the ship does not have a lot of amenities of the newer ships, but it's the closest experience to the way cruising used to be.

To show you how different tastes can be regarding ship size, I love the big ships such as Mariner. I can't wait to sail on Freedom. But my husband, in contrast, really favors the Radiance class ships such as Jewel and Brilliance.

Well, I'd rather be on Jewel than no ship at all, but if I had my d'ruthers, I'd definitely be on the bigger ships. That said, I do think your itinerary has at least as much to do with how much you enjoy the cruise as the ship size does. Things such as port stops, number of sea days, length of cruise, weather, your health ( I just cruised with a broken toe and it did tire me) all make important differences quite apart from the ship itself.

I'm a big ship fan, but I'm a cruise fan even more. Almost any cruise is better than no cruise.

Archived