Anyone did both, HAL & NCL in AK? Your thoughts.

olya1972

We have cruised on NCL half a dozen times and like the line (Breakaway, Dawn, Gem). We put deposit on Holland America Oosterdam for Alaska, May 2017 cruise. NCL is priced the same for our days for Balcony cabins (2 adults / 2 kids in one room). After reading HAL boards I am worried if this is a cruise line for us. We have been on RCCL, Celebrity and Princes and liked them all (Crown Princes being our least favorite). Originally, I assumed that HAL would be best for Alaska. Anybody who experienced BOTH HAL and NCL IN Alaska, please let me hear your thoughts. (posted same on NCL board).

We have cruised on NCL half a dozen times and like the line (Breakaway, Dawn, Gem). We put deposit on Holland America Oosterdam for Alaska, May 2017 cruise. NCL is priced the same for our days for Balcony cabins (2 adults / 2 kids in one room). After reading HAL boards I am worried if this is a cruise line for us. We have been on RCCL, Celebrity and Princes and liked them all (Crown Princes being our least favorite). Originally, I assumed that HAL would be best for Alaska. Anybody who experienced BOTH HAL and NCL IN Alaska, please let me hear your thoughts. (posted same on NCL board).

When selecting our first AK cruise, I went in with an open mind as to cruise line.

From that point of view, why don't you put the ships on the vertical axis graph & with what is important to you on the horizontal.

Then you might be able to "see" the differences.

For me, the Explore4 makes HAL unbeatable for me this year - you might not drink soda & lattes so that wouldn't matter to you. Last time I was swayed by the departure date/round trip/Glacier Bay itinerary.

Seriously in the same July 2017 time frame of my next cruise, there are people paying more on Disney for a shorter cruise that doesn't even include Glacier Bay than I am spending on a 2 week cruise with an unlimited adult beverage package. - I've done the comparisons. (This was meant to be illustrative of how what is important to some people is not important to others.)

Back to me - NCL wasn't even close to Princess or HAL. (With that said 1000's on people sail on NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, Disney, etc. to AK & love their vacations.)

Edited by TheCalicoCat

Anybody who experienced BOTH HAL and NCL IN Alaska, please let me hear your thoughts. (posted same on NCL board).
One thing to consider.... does your sailing go to Glacier Bay for glacier viewing... if not... switch!

One thing to consider.... does your sailing go to Glacier Bay for glacier viewing... if not... switch!

We have been to AK once before and that included Glacier Bay. I actually would like to see Hubbard glacier offered on current itinerary. Kids never been to AK with us. I am sure Hubbard glacier will impress them.

I can not speak to Alaska. But we have traveled on both HAL and NCL in the past. With kids in tow hands down NCL. I would definitely cruise HAL again but not with my kids.

Yes, I agree with you and would give the same advise to anyone, except in case of my kids. They never go to any kids programs and just hang out with us and do their own thing. So that is a non issue, especially in Alaska.

I can not speak to Alaska. But we have traveled on both HAL and NCL in the past. With kids in tow hands down NCL. I would definitely cruise HAL again but not with my kids.

My son has liked the club on Carnival, RCCL, & HAL....

9I would recommend going to the beginning sign up so that your kids can join the things that they want to do - organized basket ball with other kids... If they don't go to the orientation then they will not be able to join in.

We have been to Alaska 4 times with our kids, twice on NCL (the first and most recent times) and twice on HAL (the middle two occasions). Our kids actually preferred HAL. I don't think either one is "better," and we enjoyed all of these cruises. We did find the HAL quad cabins more comfortable, with a superior layout, when compared with NCL. We always stay in an inside cabin.

We selected the cruise based on the itinerary each time, not the ship itself.

I have sailed Alaska on all the major lines with the exception of Disney. Over 50 Alaska cruises. I find far more similarities than differences. My priority is off the ships. You need to figure out what YOUR preferences are?? I'm not one, to claim a "must" with Glacier Bay. I find each of the glacier sailing areas worthwhile.

I've done a lot of NCL sailings in Alaska and they do a good job. HAL, does have ship naturalists on board, which can enhance your trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting comments here... My least favorite Alaska cruise was on a HAL ship, even though we had one of the biggest suites on the ship. We just didn't enjoy the activities in the evening or the food. My niece, who was a teenager at the time, was frustrated because she wasn't allowed to go to karaoke or the gym since she was under 18, (even if she was accompanied by me). We have been on Princess, NCL, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean, be we never returned to HAL for another cruise.

I guess I can't give any other advice that wasn't already given below except to figure out what is the most important to you. Then compare the price for what you get and the itinerary.