Sea sickness?

XForeverYoursX

I'm worried about sea sickness. I could get the patch for $40 but not sure what the side effects are. Is bonine better than Dramamine? I don't want to be sleepy when drinking! Thank you for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Skip all of that and take Ginger Root Capsules. They really work! I couldn't cruise without them as I am very prone to seasickness.

I'm worried about sea sickness. I could get the patch for $40 but not sure what the side effects are. Is bonine better than Dramamine? I don't want to be sleepy when drinking! Thank you for any help

Had motion sickness all my life tho' better nowadays but I still can't read in a moving car.

Bonine works great (generic name Meclizine); Dramamine II (Less Drowsy) is the same stuff, not to be confused with the original Dramamine.

Main thing is to take these things before you start feeling bad.

Some can get by with ginger OK.

On my cruises have taken Bonine a few times tho' not lately. Never needed anything stronger, YMMV :)

P.S. Don't know where you live but you can buy the patch over the counter in Canada.

Edited by pspercy

You can buy generic meclizine at any pharmacy- I think we paid like $10 for a bottle of 100 chewable tabs at a Target.

With meclizine, you can also take it even after you get sea sick. I'm also very susceptible to motion sickness and it helps me.

Transdermal Scop patches are overkill IMHO. They make EXTREMELY loopy, super tired and give me the worst case of dry mouth

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I start taking 2 Bonine (generic over the counter) the night before the cruise. I may take 1 each night for a couple of nights but that is it. I've been fine. My first cruise, I didn't start taking it until after I was sick. It took about 4 hours to get over but I did take 1 every night after that. We even had rough seas that cracked the walking deck (on Grandeur) late in the cruise but I was not even queasy. I take them at night so if they cause me to be drowsy I sleep better.

Hi,

I do not know what will work well for you, or even if you need anything ..... but it is good to be prepared.

.I used scopolamine patch many years ago and had some bad side effects ( you might want to read what they are or what they could be).

Meclizine works for me and also for my wife, .... we are not the same weight so each takes a different dosage.

Check with your doc see what he/she recommends.

Edited by wieslaw

You can get meclizine for free at the guest services desk. They come in packs of two and you take one pill in the morning and one at night. They will give you enough for the whole cruise, just tell them how many packs you want. Suggest going as soon as you get on the ship as there usually isn't much of a line when you first get on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use the patch and it works great for keeping seasickness away, but it does have some side effects. To me, the side effects aren't nearly as bothersome as being seasick, but others may not agree.

They make your mouth dry, and after a few days (3-ish), they will start to give you a sore throat. Anything more than 3 days and my vision gets blurry. I have learned to remove it on day 3 to avoid the vision problem, and the sore throat and dry mouth go away within hours, but there seems to be enough medicine in my system to keep me from getting sick for the remaining 4 days. When I don't use the patch I get sick to the point of being incapacitated; throwing up, spending days in bed, it's awful.

I have heard people say they use half a patch instead, so I will try that next time. But I will absolutely be using one, because the pills and the ginger and the seasick bands have not worked for me...ever! The seasickness patch has worked 100% of the time.

Everyone's system tolerates drugs differently. The scopolamine patch has some significant side effects, but works well for many people. For me, I typically don't need more than one Bonine (meclazine) every day. I also keep Dramamine on hand (regular, not "less drowsy" version) just in case we hit rough seas and the nausea hits:eek:

Ginger capsules work amazingly well. They are not drugs, they are food. You should not get light headed or drowsy from them.

I am the poster child for motion sickness. I have tried all the pharmaceuticals and have felt all of the ill effects from them. I'm not sure which is worse.

Ginger is a hot root and some people complain about burping the taste, but most people have no ill effects. I take 3 capsules the night before travel, 3 capsules in the morning, then 2 capsules several times a day while traveling by car, bus, train and/or boat. I haven't been motion sick once while taking ginger. I have been using it for 30 years. The important thing is to start taking it before the journey begins.

Ginger root also works well, after meals, for calming an upset stomach. Meals can be much different while traveling than what is normally consumed at home.

Talk to your health care professional about using ginger and consider interactions with any medication you may take. There is a lot of information about using ginger for motion sickness available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I get very motion sick and have all of my life. I have used the patch twice and it worked perfectly both times. One trip the seas were very rough for the first 24 hours or so and I never felt the least bit sick. It made me a bit drowsy but not too bad.

The second time I used the patch I had very bad problems once I stopped using it. I would get something like vertigo, "out of it", drowsy, nausea, etc. After doing some research, I discovered withdrawal problems are not uncommon. It went on for 2 or 3 weeks and was really awful, made it very difficult to function because it could hit any time and was debilitating.

I have never used the patch again and will never use it again and now I stick with Walmart brand motion sickness pills taken routinely during the cruise and supplement with ginger candy, saltine crackers and ginger gum.

Also, you are absolutely not to drink alcohol with the patch so if you are planning on drinking, this is not an option anyway.

I don't recall how much I pay for the patch but I think it is covered by my insurance; they give me 2 at a time and it wasn't $40, I think I paid more like $15, but that could be because of the insurance coverage.

It sounds like a lot of people use the natural ginger options available and they work for them. If you've never tried it maybe you should bring the patch with you just in case, but try the ginger first. For me, the ginger didn't do anything, and as I said in my prior post, neither did the other remedies, but my motion sickness can be really severe. I have gotten vertigo for days at a time in the past, which is an inner ear problem that causes you to be dizzy to varying degrees. I have had minor dizziness for a few hours all the way up to debilitating episodes that lasted entire days. It causes a person to have to lay down flat and keep their eyes closed all day, because as soon as you open them, or lift your head and try to sit or stand, the entire room spins and makes you throw up. You can't walk because you can't tell where the floor is, and you can't see because everything is a spinning blur. Try to use the restroom and you will fall off the loo and onto the ground unless someone helps you. It is awful! Much worse than seasickness!!

However, for me, the inner ear problem also makes seasickness unbearable, I use the patch and never travel by ship anymore without it. For anyone who experiences extreme motion sickness, I would not risk playing around with the natural remedies because they are mild cures and will leave you wanting to fly home and end your vacation because they won't alleviate your seasickness at all. It does sound like some people have lasting effects from the patch that do the opposite of what it's supposed to, and that would be horrible, but if you ever get that way naturally anyway, it probably won't matter if that ends up being your side effect, because it would have happened anyway if you hadn't taken the patch. So evaluate your level of need accordingly.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Ginger capsules work amazingly well. They are not drugs, they are food. You should not get light headed or drowsy from them.

I am the poster child for motion sickness. I have tried all the pharmaceuticals and have felt all of the ill effects from them. I'm not sure which is worse.

Ginger is a hot root and some people complain about burping the taste, but most people have no ill effects. I take 3 capsules the night before travel, 3 capsules in the morning, then 2 capsules several times a day while traveling by car, bus, train and/or boat. I haven't been motion sick once while taking ginger. I have been using it for 30 years. The important thing is to start taking it before the journey begins.

Ginger root also works well, after meals, for calming an upset stomach. Meals can be much different while traveling than what is normally consumed at home.

Talk to your health care professional about using ginger and consider interactions with any medication you may take. There is a lot of information about using ginger for motion sickness available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Over the years I have tried the patch, Bonine and Dramamine and ALL 3 make me sleepy, thus missing the fun. A few years ago I learned about Sea Bracelets and would not sail without them. DH and friends also wear them when deep sea fishing. You can buy them an most drug stores.

I also recently discovered the ginger pills and ginger gum and they too work well for me. I buy them at WalMart.

I am one who can get seasick on dock so must be prepared to enjoy every minute of cruise.

Happy Sails

My hubby gets terrible sea sickness if not medicated and gets total relief from taking Bonine (Meclizine) as per package instructions. It works so well for him that last cruise he said "I haven't been sea sick at all, I don't think I need to take the Bonine anymore!" (I tried...) and of course as soon as it wore off he started turning green, had to leave the dining room without his dinner, went back to the cabin to take the meds and slept it off. :rolleyes:

That said, if this is your first time on a cruise ship you may want to have the patch on hand JUST IN CASE you're one of the few who Meclizine doesn't work for, cause wouldn't that suck (more than wasting $40 even...)

And whatever you do, don't take the original Dramamine (unless you want to sleep through your vacation.)

Hi XForeverYoursX,

The best advice is to not give you any medication advice. What may work well for one person may wreak havoc on another. None of us knows your medical history & medical background. How you may or may not tolerate a medication & the possible side effects, allergic reactions, etc. etc.. should not be decided on a message board. The best advice would be for you to speak to you doctor.

I saw a lot of blue & gray water in my 25+ years in the Navy. Fortunately I was/am not prone to motions sickness, in fact, a north atlantic storm on a small frigate was a lot of fun.

Motion sickness, sometimes referred to as sea sickness or car sickness, is a very common disturbance of the inner ear that is caused by repeated motion. Anyone can develop motion sickness, but people vary in their sensitivity to motion. Motion sickness most commonly affects children from 2 to 12 years old, pregnant women, and people who are prone to migraines. In addition to sea travel, motion sickness can develop from the movement of a car or from turbulence in an airplane.

While it may be impossible to prevent all cases of motion sickness, the following tips can help you prevent or lessen the severity of motion sickness:

Watch your consumption of foods, drinks, and alcohol before and during travel. Avoid excessive alcohol and foods or liquids that "do not agree with you" or make you feel unusually full. Heavy, spicy, or fat-rich foods may worsen motion sickness in some people.

Avoiding strong food odors may also help prevent nausea.

Try to choose a location where you will experience the least motion. On a ship, those in lower level cabins near the center of a ship generally experience less motion than passengers in higher or outer cabins.

Do not read while traveling if you are prone to motion sickness.

When traveling by boat, it can sometimes help to keep your gaze fixed on the horizon or on a fixed point.

Open a vent or source of fresh air if possible.

Isolate yourself from others who may be suffering from motion sickness. Hearing others talk about motion sickness or seeing others becoming ill can sometimes make you feel ill yourself.

The over-the-counter medication meclizine (Bonine, Antivert, Dramamine) can be a very effective preventive measure for short trips or for mild cases of motion sickness. Your doctor also may choose to prescribe medications for longer trips or if you repeatedly develop severe motion sickness. One example of a prescription medication is a patch containing scopolamine (Transderm-Scop) that often is effective in preventing motion sickness. Remember that scopolamine can cause drowsiness and has other side effects, and its use should be discussed with your physician prior to your trip.

Most prescription and OTC remedies need to be taken/applied before the ship gets underway.

Fortunately, Sue does not suffer side effects from scopolamine patches, we put one on before boarding and it usually lasts a 7 day cruise.

Dennis & Sue

$40 for the Patch? Wow

In Canada, $12 for 2

FYI: my wife gets severe motion sickness, ginger pills did squat. She swears by the patch.

But everyone is different.

I bet the $40 is for more than one. I pay $40 for 5 patches. They work great for me. The only side effect I have is dry mouth, nothing else.

Someone on here recently suggested Motion Ease. You can buy it at Walmart for less than $5. It is a liquid that you dab behind your ears a couple of times a day. The person that told me about it has severe motion sickness and had always worn the patches but she now uses Motion Ease. I am going to try it on my next cruise. Some movies and videos make me nauseous due to the way they are filmed. I tried it and watched a video and did not get sick.

I don't have motion sickness on land, but do while cruising.

I take Bonine from 1 day prior to 1 day after sailing and it really works for me.

I find that the Bonine doesn't make me tired!!

No problems even when we have rough seas last fall due to Joaquin.