Sugar Train and Romney Mansion/Batik

LostAgain

I tried to do a search for recent reviews of the Sugar Train but didn't find any. I think my husband (a train nut) would love this, and my daughter and I would enjoy seeing the views. If you have done this, how was it?

Also, my daughter is a fashion design student, so I know she would want to see the batik fabrics. All three of us would enjoy the Romney Mansion and Gardens. Would we have enough time to do the Sugar Train, the mansion/gardens and batik? How would you suggest we get to Romney as I see that someone mentioned getting a taxi there is fine but finding one to get back is difficult.

We will be on the Adventure of the Seas in June and, therefore, the ship is in port 8 am to 5 pm. We like to allow plenty of time to get back on board without stress and anxiety.

Thanks in advance to all of you wonderful people who always help!

Edited by LostAgain

We were going to do the train. We decided not to just because the cost is crazy for what it is and it is only a short way by train, the rest is bus. And the train is not that great looking. The tracks are nothing like North American tracks and in my opinion did not look that safe. The areas the train ran in were not exactly picturesque either. That said, we opted to do an island tour, when you get off the ship there is an area where there are multiple tour companies offering tours. We had a four hour tour for twenty dollars each, we made quite a few stops and our guide was quite knowledgeable. We stopped at Romney manor, we asked to do the tour and he parked while we toured, for half an hour, you don't need a whole lot longer. The batik fabrics are beautiful, with many for sale and quite reasonable actually. There is an entrance fee for the tour, I think it was $5.

It was a good tour in an air conditioned vehicle. Taking a taxi to Romney manor would probably cost more than our whole tour did. Have a great time. St. Kitts is beautiful and Adventure of the Seas is a great ship, my first cruise was on that ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by 902tater

We had also considered doing the train, but the more I researched, the less appealing it became. We had pre booked a trip with Pereira Tours. It was in a modern, comfortable, small bus with a/c.

We did a comprehensive island tour and I thought the gardens of Romney Mansion were beautiful. We saw the train and were glad we decided not to do it. A couple of our dining companions had done the train and hadn't been impressed.

We did a train/boat ride combo. The train was a blast. The scenery was very nice and lush. The drinks were great and they also provided coconut cake as a snack. There was a choir that went from car to car and sang for us. I can't remember how much the excursion was but it wasn't a bad value.

My husband's eyes lit up like a little boy's at the thought of doing this train, so we will give it a try, ha ha. I missed the RCI sale on excursions but I have plenty of time to wait for another.

After the train, we will grab a taxi to Romney and the batik factory store. Since it seems like we won't be there long, we will ask the taxi to wait for us.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. It's appreciated!

• 2 months later...

We had done the train and it was fun and interesting. I am returning to St. Kitts with a different group this March (2017) on the Crown Princess and will do the train again with friends who have not been.