PV, Cabo, Mazatlan - Ideas on what to do?

shainamarie622

Hi everyone! First, I wanna apologize because I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I have been so busy working full time/overtime, moving to a new house, taking care of 2 sick kids and packing for our cruise that I just don't have the time to sit down and actually do research before our cruise leaves on Sunday! I was just hoping I could get on here, ask the question and all you experienced cruisers could give me some input.

We are going on our first 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise this Sunday! I have never been on a cruise before so I'm so excited. We will be docking in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and Mazatlan. Does anyone have any good ideas on what we could do at these ports?

We are a family of 4: me, my husband, our 7-yr old daughter and 3-yr old son. I am typically a planner, but my husband and kids definitely are not! I usually plan the day...and things end up changing based on how we feel. It's always an adventure with my family! But I'd like to at least have a list of things we could do (and how to get there) to be somewhat prepared.

No snorkeling, scuba diving, zip lining, etc...our kids are too young for that. Sight seeing, shopping, beaches, those kinds of things are what we are more interested in. I did briefly read something about Stone Island which looked good for the kids. But can someone tell me which port that is in and how exactly I can get there? Also...are there things to do within walking distance? We don't mind taking a taxi, bus or any other public transportation also.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Shaina

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Shaina! I did this exact itinerary for my first cruise too, we sailed aboard the Ruby Princess in March of 2015, it was an amazing trip! I love the Mexican Riviera and loved it so much we are sailing there again this upcoming March on the Carnival Miracle.

I'm gonna tell you what we did in each port for our first time!

Puerto Vallarta: We took the bus to El Malecón, which is this big beautiful like boardwalk type of place where you just walk around and the beach is right there in front of you and there's shops and restaurants, it's really beautiful! We also stopped at the Cathedral and took some pictures there. I love El Malecón, so beautiful! We then headed towards the mall at "Las Galerías Vallarta" which is right in front from where the ship docks. We hung out there since it was nice and air conditioned, got a Starbucks, and enjoyed some wifi. There's plenty to do here in PV, it's such a beautiful city I hope you love it as much as I did!

Mazatlán: this is the port where Stone Island is! I believe there are some tours that take you there, not too sure exactly but I've seen excursions that take you there, I believe there's like a water taxi they have that takes you there too. In this port we took a taxi for about $10 to the Golden Zone (La Zona Dorada) and walked around and hung out at the beach. There's also restaurants and shopping and it's a very popular place in Mazatlán where all the cruise passengers go and spend the day, I really enjoyed it! There's also things to do in downtown like just walk around and admire all the architecture. It's a really beautiful city, I loved Mazatlán!

Cabo: Omg I loved Cabo, can't wait to go back again!! Here we took a water taxi to land's end/Los Arcos and just enjoyed all the scenery Cabo has to offer. Cabo is a resort town so the main thing to do there is go to the beach and there's quite a few. The water here was beautiful and crystal clear at Medano beach, it was kinda like the Caribbean. There's also shopping, bars, and restaurants all around. The kids will definitely enjoy relaxing on the beach.

Each port offers beaches, and we did a beach day at each because I am a major beach bum and I just love relaxing and swimming in the ocean!

I LOVE the Mexican Riviera, and you couldn't have picked a better first cruise, you're going to have so much fun and I hope you and your family have a great time! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Alexv500

In Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) you might want to consider a beach day and take the Las Caletas excursion offered by your ship (just about every cruise offers this excursion). It will take you across the Bay of Bandaras on a boat (about 50 min) to a privately leased beach (and facilities) which is a first class operation. Once at the beach you will have access to food, drink, beach, the water, and some excellent facilities.

Hank

I did briefly read something about Stone Island which looked good for the kids. But can someone tell me which port that is in and how exactly I can get there?

When you get off the ship in Mazatlan you'll ride a small tram thru the port to the terminal. Walk thru the terminal area out to the road. Turn left and walk a few blocks where you'll see a gravel road/path slightly off to the left. Down about a hundred yards or so is the water taxi. It's about $3pp R/T. The water taxi will take you across the harbor to a dock on the other side. Get off the water taxi, walk over a small berm and you're on the beach. Most all the restaurants are to the left, we like Lety's which is maybe a 10 minute walk down the beach. Best coconut shrimp you'll ever have.

Something else to consider, when you walk out the terminal, you'll see about 583 pulmonias lined up. Hire one for a 2hr city tour, cost $30-$40 total (negotiate price before you get in) and have the driver drop you off at the water taxi stand; THEN off to Stone Island just in time for lunch and some beach time. When you get back to the terminal there is all the trinket shopping you'll ever want.

In PV, walk out the terminal area and out to the main road. You'll see a Pemex gas station on the corner where the YELLOW taxis are line up. Tell him to take you to Hotel Rosita, this is where the Malecon starts. Should cost about $8 (agree on price before you get in). The beige colored taxis inside the port area charge about $4-6 PP, the yellow taxis are about $8 total, give or take a few bucks.

In PV, walk out the terminal area and out to the main road. You'll see a Pemex gas station on the corner where the YELLOW taxis are line up. Tell him to take you to Hotel Rosita, this is where the Malecon starts. Should cost about $8 (agree on price before you get in). The beige colored taxis inside the port area charge about $4-6 PP, the yellow taxis are about $8 total, give or take a few bucks.

We specifically did not recommend the Malecon since dragging a 3 and 7 year old more then a mile along a promanade is not always fun for the kids or parents. Without kids....it would be a great option.

Hank