Considering a trip to Thailand has anyone been with their kids?

queenL

Has anyone taken their kids to Thailand? We are contemplating a Spring trip there. It is on my bucket list and I have always wanted to go. I was told that they have issues with kidnapping local children/young women into the sex trade. Hoping to hear from some parents or visitors to Thailand.

I have not been to Thailand, but I was told the exact same types of things before taking my little girls to Egypt, Turkey and South Africa as a single mom. Most who warned me had no actual knowledge. I would post this on the ports of call page that includes Thailand and ask there (be forwarned, lots of people will say not to bring kids - but not because of safety, because they don't think kids "belong" or will enjoy these types of trips). We hired private guides in each place and my girls always had an amazing time.

All the best,

Mia

We visited prior to having children, and Thailand felt very safe. Cambodia and Vietnam were also very safe, but the poverty in Cambodia was readily apparent. There is sex trade in Thailand, but you won't get any offers if you are traveling in a couple or as a family unless you go looking for it. There are a lot of animal experiences near Chiang Mai - the Thai Elephant Conservation Center allows you to spend a whole day as a mahout, and you really get a lot of time with the animals. It was pretty hard to arrange the visit, but it was worth it.

Thanks. I didn't post on the Thailand boards for that reason. I thought I might get "leave the kids at home" or "don't take them out of school" lectures.

Heaven knows Atlanta (where we live) is a city known for sex trafficking, so I know the risks of any major city. However, I'm obliged as a good parent to assess these risks anyway. I didn't find any Dept of State Travel warnings that addressed this though.