Costa Maya vs. Progresso

devilsreject

Costa Maya has a nice resort like shopping area with a beach and pool right at the pier or you can take a short taxi ride to the nearby beach. Both are enjoyable.

Progresso is a significant bus ride to get anywhere. There are a few shops on the pier then it is a couple of miles of causeway to get from the pier to the shore. Not a good place for walking. However, it is a good jumping off place for trips to a number of great Mayan ruins including Chichen Itza. It's a long bus ride for a shot time there and it's hot but I am super glad that we did it.

I have been to Costa Maya years ago and am looking forward to progresso. From the research I have done, Costa Maya is for those vacationers that just want to shop or go to a beach on the Malecon. To be fair, you can make a ruins trip here and Chachobeen was a nice half day trip. Progresso itself is not a great "destination" for these same types of beach vacationers but excellent for travelers who wish to experience authentic Mexico and pursue Mayan history.

I am quite exited for a visit to Xu Mal - despite it being a two hour ride. And would prefer that to hanging out at the beach. So it's all what you are seeking from your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having been to both, we enjoyed both! Progresso we took the $2 double decker bus around town. It was narrated and fun. We headed to the beach. We had 6 of us and negotiated massages for all at $15 pp (best massage I've had yet!). Vendors were a little pushy but no thank you worked. We did get henna tattoos for the kids and SIL cheap. Very cheap silver and rope hammocks. Costa Maya again a beach day. Took a taxi, plopped down on the beach near the Harbor Master. Nice relaxing day with lots of places to shop in an open air market down the street.

I'm also from Mobile and have been on many cruises. Their is no comparison to make, Costa Maya is way nicer than all of the ports in the western Caribbean, that includes Cozumel, Belize & Roatan. It was developed for the cruise lines and is extremely nice. Nothing wrong with Progresso, but just not in the same class as Costa Maya

Been to Progresso once, well I've been more than once but I've been off the ship once. That was enough for me. Definitely a vote for Costa Maya from me, I choose Progresso add ons to my Coz trips because it doesn't make much of a price difference. Sometimes it's just as cheap to book the 5 day trip with Progresso as the 4 day trip without. I use it the Progresso day as a relaxing on ship day.

From the looks of it, I'm not the only one. A couple weeks ago it seemed like more people stayed on the ship in Progresso than got off. I expected to have a nearly empty ship to relax on like we use to but it was almost as crowded as a normal sea day on the lido. A lot of people must have booked with the same idea we had lol.