QE2 July 29th 2006

kevankiki

Hi, just joined this forum today having booked up for a back to back cruise on the QE2 next July (2006) ('A Northern Odyssey' followed by 'Summer Getaway'). Having always fancied trying cruising we did a taster a year ago, it was the most awesome experience ever, and we have wanted to book a second cruise ever since! On that occasion we were supposed to spend a day on Guernsey, though we were unable to get off as the captain decided it was unsafe to run the tenders, maybe this time we'll get there? :)

It was during this cruise that I met a guy over lunch who told me about cruisecritics.com - I'm still feeling shy about posting here though and would like to get to know you all better.

This time we are dragging our 13 year old along too (actually she is as excited as we are!), therefore I would welcome any tips as to how she might make friends.

We will also be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary :D

:confused: Can someone tell me how to put a countdown thing at the bottom of my postings, I managed to find the tickerfactory.com one but can't figure out how to tag it to the bottom of this posting, I have seen there are others too.

Many thanks!

• 7 months later...

We took two grandsons aged 13 & 16 for two weeks on the QE2 and there is a Club which they joined on the first day at sea, after that we only saw them for meals and trips ashore, they had the best time ever. They were looked after and had a wonderful time, each made friends and the 'old hands' soon had the others up to speed with all the things they could do, It was not easy for them to go to the club in the first place as they thought it would not be 'cool'

and they were a bit shy, but I said go and see what you think. I was deighted that they enjoyed the holiday so much,what's more they insisted on Formal Dining every night. I am sure your daughter will enjoy herself and so will you.

hi we have just booked this cruise, would like to chat and meet up with other passengers aboard.

regards

jimgib

There will be seven of us (but only one CC'er) on this cruise.

How about meeting in the Chart Room at 6:00pm on the Sunday?

Andi

Would be great to meet up with some of you. Any chance we could make it a bit earlier than 6pm though as we are on an early seating, which IIRC is 6.15pm?

How will we know each other? :D

How about 5:30pm?

I'll bring a copy of the CC banner and leave it on the table for all to see!

Andi

• 3 weeks later...
yes 5.30\pm is also good with us, we look forward to meeting up. Just 2 of us myself and Sue my wife.

Regards

Jim

jimgib & kevankiki

Just two weeks away now - all the tickets have turned up - also a nice surprise for all of us to go from Caronia to the Princess Grill (thank you Cunard!). :D :D

If it's still OK with you let's meet at 5:30pm in the Chart Room on Sunday evening.

Andi

jimgib & kevankiki

Just two weeks away now - all the tickets have turned up - also a nice surprise for all of us to go from Caronia to the Princess Grill (thank you Cunard!). :D :D

If it's still OK with you let's meet at 5:30pm in the Chart Room on Sunday evening.

Andi

:mad: I was really hoping we'd get upgraded so that we would at least have single seating dining, my brother has been fortunate enough to be upgraded both times he has travelled, it's our 21st wedding anniversary too!

I guess upgrades only happen to other people :p

Our tickets have also arrived. Should be quiet a week for us, we were supposed to be at a friends wedding in UK the saturday before, however my youngest daughter has just told us she is getting married on the Monday before the cruise, so we are now running around sorting that out. To top it off knowing I have to go to UK I have booked in a meeting in Birmingham for the Friday.

I always thought as I got older life would slow down, it sure as hell dosent!

See you 5.30 in the chart room.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to meeting some of you on Sunday, hope to bump into you and Olly the following week Mark :)

Just taking a break from all the packing here, I've filled two suitcases so far, and we have no limits other than the size of our stateroom :D

Safe journey everyone, see you on board!

we have just arrived in Southampton. Driving in UK just gets worse, we were stuck in jam after jam. Still no problems once we cleared Oxford. Just going to have a big G & T folllowed by diner. a good nights sleep then some last min shopping in Southampton before boarding, I am assuming its 1pm to board.

Regards

Jim

we have just arrived in Southampton. Driving in UK just gets worse, we were stuck in jam after jam. Still no problems once we cleared Oxford. Just going to have a big G & T folllowed by diner. a good nights sleep then some last min shopping in Southampton before boarding, I am assuming its 1pm to board.

Regards

Jim

I'm being given a lot of stick here because I've changed the booking of our car to 10am to allow for traffic (I was advised it can take over 2 hours to get down to Southampton from here, instead of the usual 50 minutes). Last time we arrived at the dockside shortly after 1pm, had to queue for 45 minutes and subsequently didn't get on board until around 2.30 - 3pm

Now I am sure we could have got on earlier than this... but if you see a husband shouting at his missus about twiddling thumbs and no refreshments available, then you'll know that's us! :rolleyes:

To answer your question though I believe 1pm is the 'embarkation' time - I'm not sure if that means it's the time you turn up to check in or the time you get on having stood in a queue first.

good luck for your morning drive, i see you are in hampshire so u should be ok, we had a great run from oxford down.

I hope we just turn up at 1pm and get straight on I am not one to wait in line,

guess we will see how it goes

regards

jim

I hope we just turn up at 1pm and get straight on I am not one to wait in line

You don't sail until 5-00pm. I'd think that the 1-00pm would be when the check-in opens; I don't think that boarding will start until later, possibly as late as 2-00pm. Make sure you get the Grills check-in, that way you won't be standing in line but can wait in their departure lounge!

I hope that you all have a good trip:)

good luck for your morning drive, i see you are in hampshire so u should be ok, we had a great run from oxford down.

I hope we just turn up at 1pm and get straight on I am not one to wait in line,

guess we will see how it goes

regards

jim

I saw on the news last night that there is some kind of fair going on at Romsey, which caused horrendous delays on the M3 yesterday afternoon. Since this fair continues over the weekend we may be affected, at least we will be kept amused with a DVD player in the car (even if it is playing My Chemical Romance music videos :eek: )

Some of us have no choice but to wait in line, being lowly M-grade :D

• 2 weeks later...
we were in the chart room as arranged , couldnt find our group, were we the only ones? maybe we should send pics of ourselves next time .

hope you all had a great time

Jim

jimgib

My apologies - our group (seven of us) had a very long day in the Golden Lion/Restaurant/Funnel Bar/Crystal Bar and I only remembered at about 6:15 - so wasn't able (!) to catch up.

We had a great time - hope you did too!

Andhow

andhow, sorry we missed you, trip was ok, ports were interesting, we went with an open mind and wished for the best. Lets just say we wont be trying cunard again.

Maybe we will catch up one day on another cruise, good luck.

regards

jim

Archived