How far in advance to book shore excursions?

waterlegs

Our first cruise is in May 2017. Still not decided on whether to book a private tour or through the cruise company...RCI. I have asked on my roll call if anyone wanted to share a private tour but zero response. I am clueless as to when to expect roll calls to get more active and also when I would need shore excursions booked by to get availability. Seems that private tours only save money if there is a group of at least six together. Do any quote per person and just take a mix of people? Thanks.

If the cruise company shore excursions are available read through them all and see where they go, and if you like them book. They can be canceled up to a few days before the tour. Then research local tours and if you find something that appeals put it on your roll call. I organised a tour in Puntarenas and for months only had 3 other people, then about six weeks before the cruise it got very active and we ended up with 23 pax and 2 vans. They were all folks from our roll call and we met at the meet and greet so all knew each other by the tour day and we had a blast.

If you don't want to organize a tour you can wait and see if anyone else does, but it was not a lot of work to do, just a matter of coordinating things.

The tour companies are quite flexible and often will offer a free tour for the organiser, I spread this over the whole group to save everyone a few bucks.

I far prefer small group private tours to the big bus ship tours, where you spend half your day getting on and off busses, plus the small vehicles go places the big ones can't.

Edited by rapata
typos

Except for Transatlantics or long cruises, I find most roll calls become more active around the time of final payment. (Some people may not want to commit to a private tour before that....)

Keep reading on these boards. I know I have seen mention of at least some companies for Italy tours that will set up a private tour (often on your request to do so) and will allow others to sign up at will. I have no idea how this works as I've never done it, but it must work fairly well.

I am one who prefers to look for opportunities to use local transportation and get around on my own rather than take an excursion or even a private tour. If that's something that interests you, there's plenty of info on these boards on how to do that as well for most cities.