Mobile Phone Coverage RCI

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what (if any) phone networks in Australia have coverage on RCI ships?

We have done a few cruises on them and their material says that Vodafone (NZ) works - I got one of their phones and no coverage.

I do need to stay available while away so am thinking to get an Australian number on a network that does have coverage.

Anyone got some ideas please?

I know im on holiday etc etc, but we have our own business and I need to keep in contact back home.

*Edited* To add on P&O Australia we have coverage all the time in the islands and at sea - mainly with texts and sometimes calls.

We are going around the islands on this cruise and would like coverage also.*

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by steve1970
Missed some detail

I find it odd that you say P&O has coverage. This is because there are no towers at sea, so you would be out of range of Australian coverage.

Unless you just mean you can go on global roaming in which case you would be charged satellite rates at sea, which will be high due to their nature?

I find it odd that you say P&O has coverage. This is because there are no towers at sea, so you would be out of range of Australian coverage.

Unless you just mean you can go on global roaming in which case you would be charged satellite rates at sea, which will be high due to their nature?

P&O ships give me coverage via their network (or whatever technology they use) so I can make calls at about $1.49 per min, receive calls for $1.00 per minute, receive text messages for free and send text messages at about 50cents, charged to me through my provider.

Vodafone nz phones work on some royal ships. But the rates are expensive.

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/roaming/maritime-coverage/

I'm on account with them . Next year on my trip to Australia then on my cruise I'm sticking to only using my phone where their $5 daily roaming is available [emoji3][emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Vodafone nz phones work on some royal ships. But the rates are expensive.

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/roaming/maritime-coverage/

I'm on account with them . Next year on my trip to Australia then on my cruise I'm sticking to only using my phone where their $5 daily roaming is available [emoji3][emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's why I got a Vodafone phone - as we went on the Voyager (it's on that list). After 4 cruises taking my Vodafone phone and 2 degrees phone, I can confirm that Voyager of the Seas does not offer coverage for Vodafone or 2 Degrees.

I will try it on the Radiance of the Seas in a few weeks and let you know.

I know on P&O the Vodafone NZ and 2 Degrees work on roaming and the calls costs are not that high (stay away from data at $10mb). I'm just looking for calling and texts only for RCI.

Hopefully someone will have experience with Australian networks.