drink package/dining package just get a lot more expensive (gratuities)

jleslie48

I cruised last april and I got the ultimate drink package and the ultimate dining package for free as part of the "free at sea" promotion. I'm going to book a trip now, but I see that gratuities are added as a cost now to my bill is that true? so for instance on a 10 day cruise getting the ultimate drink package for "free" actually costs me and my wife $79*2*10*.18 == $284.40? for the dining option, its $84*2*.18 ==$30.24?

Also what is the story with the french restaurant? what costs will I occur there if I want to use my dining package there?

just checking.

Also what is the story with the french restaurant? what costs will I occur there if I want to use my dining package there?

just checking.

At the a la carte restaurants like Le Bistro you get one entree and unlimited appetizers, sides and desserts. I've heard that some servers may try to restrict you to a single one of each course, but the T&C of the SDP is pretty clear and you can have them check with the manager if that becomes an issue.

Yes, you now need to pay the 18% gratuity as that is no longer included in the promo. Still one hell of a perk.

You shouldn't incur any other costs at Le Bistro.

hard to say. the soft drink package is $150, I'd rather have that and pay for the 10 or so drinks that typically get on a cruise. I think the pre-paid gratuities and the bistro dining is the only ones I'm interested in.

hard to say. the soft drink package is $150, I'd rather have that and pay for the 10 or so drinks that typically get on a cruise. I think the pre-paid gratuities and the bistro dining is the only ones I'm interested in.

The cost differential between a guarantee cabin and an assigned one with a perk is usually around 200, so it would be better to choose your cabin and pick the UBP than roll the dice with the guarantee and pay for your own alcohol by the drink and soda package. YMMV with the difference in price if you book last minute.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Edited by SNJCruisers

If you drink it's a great deal, of you don't then it's not, take another perk.

Or apply for British citizenship. We don't pay the 18%, free is free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More than likely you pay a higher price for your cabin through NCL.UK. They are going to get you one way or another.

Possibly in some cases. But to be honest, anytime I've compared, no. We normally get a pretty good deal. What we don't get is the ability to cancel and get deposit refunded. But we don't pay the 18%.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gratuities on UBP work out to $14 per person per day. If you aren't going to each have more than 2 drinks per day it wouldn't be worth it to you. Get the free DSC instead and pay for drinks as you go.

The cost differential between a guarantee cabin and an assigned one with a perk is usually around 200, so it would be better to choose your cabin and pick the UBP than roll the dice with the guarantee and pay for your own alcohol by the drink and soda package. YMMV with the difference in price if you book last minute.

I never do the guarantee cabin anyway. good point.

DSC: Daily Service Charges

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah yes. thank you . the DSC is absolutely the best deal of bunch for starters, the question is the drink package vs the meal. I would definitely pay for the soft drink package, and that would work out to $180, the Unlimited beverage would be $284, so $104 in drinks is probably break even. The dining is worth $160 so the question is will I go over the $160 in liquor drinks. its about break even for me. The problem with figuring it out is what would I actually drink if cost was not an issue and only my enjoyment. Am I drinking because I paid for it and in my mind I "have to get my money's worth" or is it something I'm glad to have access to and not have to worry. Not an easy question to answer.

My last 12 day cruise, what I paid in gratuities for the UBP definitely was worthwhile. Unless you are like the poster above, that only drinks 10 a cruise, it is worth it. Decent Wines range from 8-14 a glass on average, and cocktail are similarly priced. The daily service charge, I cruise SOLO so it's not a bargain for me.

I bought a 3 dinner package and they added the service charge. It was a pretty good deal also. So free plus the service charge even better.

Ah yes. thank you . the DSC is absolutely the best deal of bunch for starters, the question is the drink package vs the meal. I would definitely pay for the soft drink package, and that would work out to $180, the Unlimited beverage would be $284, so $104 in drinks is probably break even. The dining is worth $160 so the question is will I go over the $160 in liquor drinks. its about break even for me. The problem with figuring it out is what would I actually drink if cost was not an issue and only my enjoyment. Am I drinking because I paid for it and in my mind I "have to get my money's worth" or is it something I'm glad to have access to and not have to worry. Not an easy question to answer.

You can get fountain drinks with the UBP

If they were included when you booked, will we have to pay them on our upcoming cruise in feb? We drink like fish and I dont really want to be tipping 18% each time!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

If they are included on your invoice as "Bev Srv Charge" then you have to pay the 18% gratuities. The only additional charges you might have are sales tax within certain jurisdictions and the (correct me if I'm wrong) 18% grat + difference between drink price and max limit.

Depending on when you booked, your gratuities may have been covered. That was a promo for a while in early 2016.

If they were included when you booked, will we have to pay them on our upcoming cruise in feb? We drink like fish and I dont really want to be tipping 18% each time!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

You'll know whether they were included or not when you pay your final invoice. Back in mid 2015 is when the 18% gratuity was added. The only additional cost would be state sales tax on embarkation day before the ship hits international waters. This would be an additional tax of less than 1.00 per drink. If you have any OBC to burn through, it can be applied to pay for it. Once in international waters, drink like a fish and enjoy the UBP. Just make sure you don't go over the 15.00 limit, otherwise you pay the difference plus the 18% on the difference. There was a price increase back in July on some basic drinks that are now over 15.00. Check the price list at the bar you're at to verify.