Breakaway Highlights 11/13-11/20 Haven, Spa & Vibe

Gregor4500

Sunday morning we (wife and myself both around 60) were already packed so just put last minute stuff in the carry ons, had a light breakfast, checked the port of NY webcam and drove the 30 minutes to Bethlehem PA where we caught a bus from Transbridge. We've driven several times to the port and parked right there which is really convenient and almost worth the high price tag, but I find I enjoy driving in traffic less and less. The bus was relaxing and almost fun (at least on the way there) with everybody geared up for vacation.

We booked this 2 years ago and got a really sweet deal on a spa suite. $1,764.89 pp out the door. That was with all the promos and port fees. So the only gratuities we had to pay were the cash ones. And there were quite a few of those. I used cash for all my tips. We always bring ones for the bartenders. Not all bars and not every drink but the 3 we used the most I like them to remember me. Plus we didn't have to pay the 18% on the promos so leaving a buck a drink seemed inline.

We bring fives for specialty dinning and larger bills for Butler and Concierge. This trip we also took care of the Maitre D' and Hostess at the Haven restaurant the last night.

to be continued. . .

Could you tell us who your favorite bartenders were?

Courtney in Vibe, Stefano was good in the Haven but I liked his assistant better. The other bar we frequented a lot was O'sheehans but we didn't sit at the bar. We would order drinks and sit at the railing and watch the show, or just people watch.

We arrived at the pier around 11:00 and because of the Haven we were on the ship by 11:30.

I had 2 bottles of wine in a carry on. Even though we had the UBP we like a drink in the room while getting ready for dinner or just sitting on the balcony. Also had a bottle of water in the other one I thought I might want on the bus but never opened. So they let the wine pass with no corkage fee and confiscated the water.

Also for the room we had 2 bottles of champagne, 1 for a suite and 1 for platinum, and 2 bottles of wine we brought back from our platinum dinners. We wound up bringing home the champagne and 1 bottle of wine.

We really didn't plan on buying Vibe passes or I should say I didn't. My wife wanted them all along, I was resistant until we got on the elevator to the Haven and one kid was yelling how his little sister just sharted.

We had no excursions planned, in fact we didn't plan on getting off the ship. So I rationalized the $198 as an inexpensive excursion.

thats a great price. i thought my 2499 was good. it's a first hand example how much things have gone up. cant wait to read more. kinda funny about the water, but not.

how much was the bus from bethlehem and was it waiting for you when you got back right away (unsure how bus pickup works)

thats a great price. i thought my 2499 was good. it's a first hand example how much things have gone up. cant wait to read more. kinda funny about the water, but not.

how much was the bus from bethlehem and was it waiting for you when you got back right away (unsure how bus pickup works)

The bus was around $65pp round trip. Also we paid $25 to park there. The bus was due to be there when we got back at 10:30. It was around 10 minutes late, then we had to wait till 11:30 to depart. That is the latest they will wait and a group of 4 just made it.

Vibe for us was well worth the $198. Having a bar and 2 hot tubs and rest rooms all on the sun deck was really nice. Plus no children made it even better. Anytime we spent in the sun was while in Vibe.

The Spa, we didn't use at all.

The Haven, we ate breakfast there every morning but 2 when we had the butler deliver. Most lunches and 3 dinners.

We had 2 Platinum dinners and 4 from the UDP promo. We wound up using one of the promos in Margaritaville. The Vulcano nachos for 5.99 would be enough for 4 people. But we also got conch fritters, Chicken Quesodilla and a burger. Way too much food.

We wound up not using 1 of the promo dinners, we preferred the Haven.

I think the dinner we enjoyed the most was LaCucina. There was just so much food. We both wanted the Osso Buco but you also each get an App, a soup, a salad, a pasta and desert. Where as the Platinum dinner in LaBistro you just get one starter, one entree and desert.

We also ate at Cagneys ( great Veal Chop) and Teppenaki.

We did get late night snacks at the buffet a couple times and lunch once in O'sheehans. Both good.

It seemed where ever we ate they all had trouble serving food hot.