Feeling Ripped OFF!

septrack

We've had only one error and it was a biggie on our final night at sea. My son and daughter (adults) had a beer and wine at the sushi bar before dinner. My son wanted to go to the cabin and order room service but my daughter joined me in the dining room. When we returned to the cabin, after a show, DS said he'd checked the onboard account and saw a $256 bar bill immediately after their beer/wine bill in the sushi bar. He promised he had not bought a round for the entire bar! We could not even imagine what you could buy in a bar for that amount.

Even though I was tired and ready for bed I walked down to guest relations. She said she'd check. I didn't move from the line and said I'd wait while she checked. No, no, it won't happen for a few hours. I asked if I could expedite it by going to the sushi bar and asking the bar tender for a signed copy of the $256 ticket. No. So I had to trust that it would be done. And it WAS removed that night.

But if son hadn't been checking the account I would not otherwise have known about the erroneous charge until we were disembarking the following morning.

On another cruise the mini bar was not complete when we arrived, nor was there shampoo (it was a sky suite and did not have a wall dispenser). It was a 2 nighter and I never saw the steward to tell him we were not going to use the minibar. But we were never charged, thankfully, for the incomplete set up in the minibar. We were eventually given shampoo, however!

Someone asked if anyone had been undercharged. I think I was double credited for an MBNA credit card points/voucher but I'm not positive. A few people on our roll call also received a $50 credit we initially supposed was compensation for no captain's club amenities, late embarkation (another mini cruise) having had to wait approximately 5 hours after our plane arrived because the ship was having a coast guard inspection, and receiving a hot dog lunch instead of the buffet onboard, no champagne upon boarding etc. Then we found out that everyone on the roll call had not received it. No one really knew why the credit appeared, why some received it and others didn't. Cabin classification? Random?

Anyway, I waited to see if there would be charges added to the bill when I got home before I fessed up that I'd received a credit I didn't understand, thinking it would balance out. I could not see that there were any charges from the dates of the cruise, but my credit card statement did have an extra $86 charge for Royal Caribbean, then a small credit also for Royal Caribbean, all dated prior to the cruise, but after final payment.

Anyone have a Celebrity charge read Royal Caribbean? It was very confusing, since nothing added up, I could not balance it, so I kept the $50 credit figuring I was approximately even and it was not worth the hassle to question the $86 charge. yeeeks

I had a similar thing happen on RCI a couple of years ago. I had my copy of my itemized statement marked paid in full. Then two weeks later a $75 charge showed up on my charge card. My son had been on the same cruise with me and had a $25 charge on his. There was no explanation given in either case. I called RCI, who said they had no record of this charge and that I would have to take it up with my credit card company. I did. Long story short, it finally got resolved 3 months later, but not after RCI refusing to credit it a couple of times with no explanation:mad: It hasn't stopped my cruising with RCI, though, but it does leave a bad taste.

Wow! A total of $100. Multiply that times approximately 1000 cabins and you're talking serious money.

Wow - this seems like a common complaint. I wonder if it is a matter of routine to overcharge and then back off if it is disputed - if so, that stinks. You have no control over what happens to your towel in your stateroom. I think it is a pain to keep track of towels anyway..I much prefer a ship that lets you get them at the pool, take them to your room, take them to the beach and simply not worry about them. Too much pressure!!! ( LOL )

I had a similar thing happen on RCI a couple of years ago. I had my copy of my itemized statement marked paid in full. Then two weeks later a $75 charge showed up on my charge card. My son had been on the same cruise with me and had a $25 charge on his. There was no explanation given in either case. I called RCI, who said they had no record of this charge and that I would have to take it up with my credit card company. I did. Long story short, it finally got resolved 3 months later, but not after RCI refusing to credit it a couple of times with no explanation:mad: It hasn't stopped my cruising with RCI, though, but it does leave a bad taste.

I had this same thing happen to me. I had reviewed my final statement closely and it was correct. Two weeks later when I received my credit card bill I had two added charges....adding up to around $700. This was on Celebrity....I called and they had no record of these charges and asked me to call my credit card company. The CC company removed the charges until it is resolved. Mine is still pending as far as I know. Be sure to check your credit card statement post cruise....even if your final statement was correct.

Wow - this seems like a common complaint. I wonder if it is a matter of routine to overcharge and then back off if it is disputed - if so, that stinks. ( LOL )

I think it's easy to get a skewed view of this. There are only a handful of people saying that this happened to them, and that's out of the hundreds that read this board. Mistakes happen everywhere, and it's annoying if it happens to you, but I don't want to believe believe that any cruiseline would pad the bills as a matter of routine. They don't always seem to value repeat customers enough, but they value us more than that, I hope!:)

Lisa

Wow - this seems like a common complaint. I wonder if it is a matter of routine to overcharge and then back off if it is disputed - if so, that stinks. You have no control over what happens to your towel in your stateroom. I think it is a pain to keep track of towels anyway..I much prefer a ship that lets you get them at the pool, take them to your room, take them to the beach and simply not worry about them. Too much pressure!!! ( LOL )
then check out Radisson, Seabourn or Silverseas...and I agree.

Lisa, I don't go to all the boards, but I don't recall seeing this as a common problem (or even mentioned) on those "other" lines pointed out above.

then check out Radisson, Seabourn or Silverseas...and I agree.

Lisa, I don't go to all the boards, but I don't recall seeing this as a common problem (or even mentioned) on those "other" lines pointed out above.

I definitely see your point, and I think I would hold those lines to a slightly higher standard. Because their cruises are more expensive, I guess I expect them to have more staff members taking care of the accounts, and less overworked staff should equal fewer errors.

Lisa

Know what you mean about the little matters of principle. I was once wrongfully fined $750. Paid a lawyer $2000 to set them straight. Not only were you over charged but I bet you also felt like a crook. After all, if you wanted to pay $28 for towel you would of asked your cabin attendant for a new one. Sorry this happened. Time heals all wounds. My bet is that after a Princess cruise or two, you forget all about it.

We got off the ship on Sat morning. While we were running to the bus I realized that no one had ever delivered our final statement/bill! Too late to go back, I just figured I would call and get it when I got home. We had reviewed our account a couple of days before on the TV and all was in order. When I got home I just didn't get around to calling. After reading some of the posts on this thread I decided I'd better get busy. I called Celebrity and within a few minutes they had faxed me over my account. Everything was still in order, whew! This is the first time out of 9 cruises that I didn't get a final bill shoved under my door on the last night, wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else?

I definitely see your point, and I think I would hold those lines to a slightly higher standard. Because their cruises are more expensive, I guess I expect them to have more staff members taking care of the accounts, and less overworked staff should equal fewer errors.

Lisa

I agree with you there. But if you're in a suite on Celebrity and you start adding up all the additional charges, (tipping, paying for water, wine with dinner, paying for alternative dining, etc) the difference in price might not be as great as you think.

Silversea and Seabourn are both all inclusive. Radisson is almost, meaning you get two bottles of liquor and a bottle of champagne in your cabin, drinks and wines are no charge at dinner, and soft drinks and water are always included. In 2007 Radisson will be all inclusive.

There has, cruise dependent, been a closer than one might expect pricing between Radisson and Celebrity for a family of 4 traveling in a suite. I have cruised Celebrity often with my family (and will be doing so again next month), but twice have found that Radisson was a better deal.

I compare a Celebrity Suite with two Radisson standard suites (there are no cabins, per se) and Radisson does not allow 4 in a suite except for the top ones. After figuring in gratuities, soft drinks, bottled water, liquor (wine/drinks with dinner and in room bar, a couple of complimentary cocktail parties (not just a glass of champagne), two nights in the specialty restaurant (they are no additional charge on Radisson), and the prices are surprisingly similar. When the normal "slippage" (Wasn't that towel returned? I didn't have that drink, did I?) is added in, it is food for thought.

Obviously the math doesn't work for a couple or if you are content with a balcony cabin. Also, while the Radisson ships have overall superior standard suites, the Celebrity ships do have many facilities which Radisson doesn't have (AquaSpa, T-pool, real stage productions, etc.)

As this is isn't the real topic of this thread I won't further elaborate here, but I enjoy both lines (I did actually find Celebrity's overall service was better overall than my last Radisson cruise).

If the little errors on your bill (which are not excusable) seriously bother you and you are willing to pay the premium for the upper lines' customer service and attention (don't try to compare Celebrity to Seabourn!;) ), it may be something to consider.

Thank you Boatman. I feel that was a very good assessment. Another thing to be factored in is the lines...or lack of them on the lines I had mentioned. Silly I know, but nothing bugs me more then waiting in long lines for something on vacation.

Thank you Boatman. I feel that was a very good assessment. Another thing to be factored in is the lines...or lack of them on the lines I had mentioned. Silly I know, but nothing bugs me more then waiting in long lines for something on vacation.

You reminded me that the tours on RSSC are actually less expensive in most instances than Celebrity and they generally have far fewer people on them.

You reminded me that the tours on RSSC are actually less expensive in most instances than Celebrity and they generally have far fewer people on them.
I feel the tours are a great deal for the money on RSSC.

There has, cruise dependent, been a closer than one might expect pricing between Radisson and Celebrity for a family of 4 traveling in a suite. I have cruised Celebrity often with my family (and will be doing so again next month), but twice have found that Radisson was a better deal.

I compare a Celebrity Suite with two Radisson standard suites (there are no cabins, per se) and Radisson does not allow 4 in a suite except for the top ones. After figuring in gratuities, soft drinks, bottled water, liquor (wine/drinks with dinner and in room bar, a couple of complimentary cocktail parties (not just a glass of champagne), two nights in the specialty restaurant (they are no additional charge on Radisson), and the prices are surprisingly similar. When the normal "slippage" (Wasn't that towel returned? I didn't have that drink, did I?) is added in, it is food for thought.

Obviously the math doesn't work for a couple or if you are content with a balcony cabin. Also, while the Radisson ships have overall superior standard suites, the Celebrity ships do have many facilities which Radisson doesn't have (AquaSpa, T-pool, real stage productions, etc.)

As this is isn't the real topic of this thread I won't further elaborate here, but I enjoy both lines (I did actually find Celebrity's overall service was better overall than my last Radisson cruise).

If the little errors on your bill (which are not excusable) seriously bother you and you are willing to pay the premium for the upper lines' customer service and attention (don't try to compare Celebrity to Seabourn!;) ), it may be something to consider.

I agree with your assessment completely. I have switched to the luxury companies because of the points you mention. In the past, I have added my bill at the end of the cruise to my original cruise fare and found that I paid more, stood in too many lines, and had worse service than if I just pay for the all inclusives.

So I really end up paying less, and getting more. And I never have anyone tracking me down for towels!

I haven't switched "completely". For many people and sometimes for me I find that Celebrity still offers "the best bang for the buck" in the business. Just as I figure in the extras when choosing, I accept the extras as part of the cost, then if I am on Celebrity I just figure I am not paying for things in advance.

And I tend to avoid the lines by adjusting my schedule. I don't need to be the first off the ship or on a tender. I lunch in the Aquaspa or on my balcony rather than the buffet. I have a few dinners in the specialty restaurant (the Olympic/United States/Ocean Liners are still some of the finest dining at sea) and I enjoy Michael's Club rather than the larger lounges.

I really try not to let the little hiccups ruin my vacation. No line is perfect and overall I find that Celebrity delivers pretty darn well. As was once said to me, "Someone paying $399 expects to be greeted by the Captain and a glass of champagne, but it will never happen. Someone else walks onto Cruise X for $3,999 and doesn't expect it...it just happens."

In other words, if the expectations are kept reasonable you can have a pretty darn good cruise.

Several posters mentioned that they did not receive a final bill under their door the last morning, after getting a preliminary bill the prior afternoon. We were on Celebrity Infinity last week, and that was the case as well.

We were also overcharged. When I checked our receipts against the preliminary bill, I noticed two charges in the Cova Cafe made at about the same time. The one for which I had a receipt was a cup of tea, at about $2. The one for which I did not have a receipt was for $13. Not a big deal, but I still went down to Guest Relations the following morning (disembarkation morning) to correct it. I had recalled seeing a party of four seated nearby in the Cova Cafe that morning, and figured that our accounts had somehow gotten mixed up. I asked for an updated statement, and was asked to return for it in a couple of hours.

When I returned, the $13 credit had been applied, and so had our charges from the prior afternoon. Yet, there was one additional one we didn't recognize -- $25 from our cabin steward. So, down we went again to the line (should have checked it while still at the desk), and were told they were charges for the mini-bar. We did not use our mini-bar. This time, we waited for the updated statement showing the $25 credit. Had we not asked for the final bill, we would not have noticed until we got home. (Actually, based on the prior threads, I wonder if I will have a surprise awaiting me on my credit card bill. :) )

BTW, in our 21 cruises, final billing discrepancies have happened to us only twice, and both were on Celebrity.

Whoa....I am reading this thread for the first time....I think when I sail at the end of the month that I am going to keep a sharp eye and an open dialog with my cabin steward.....Towels, Mini-Bar charges...charges that are intiated at the pleasure of the cabin steward....Forget fighting about it when I am back on land, that person is going to tell me what he's doing before I leave the ship!

Maybe you guys didn't tip him enough???:D

It's all pretty scary, but just to clear something up, I didn't receive any bill at all. I reviewed my account 2 days before the ship docked on the TV screen. I used my card for several more purchases that day and the next. If I had not reviewed it on my own it may have been more of a priority and I may have noticed that I didn't get the final one sooner. I feel stupid to leave the ship w/o noticing but the morning the ship docks you just have so much on your mind it can happen. As far as I know I was not charged incorrectly but I will be checking it closely with my bill on the charge card. If there had been a mistake, I wouldn't have wanted to be trying to clear it up from home!

Maybe you guys didn't tip him enough???:D

that would be funny. you dont tip the guy enough(In his opinion) so he charges you for towels or the mini bar items and sells them to the other crew members or play crew poker night with them. that would be a scanddle. and don't be so quick to write it off either. after all, who would have thought the mail man would have been stealing netflix dvds from the mail??

I have to agree in that on all 3 Celeb/RCI cruises we've experienced on board account issues.

On the Connie, we both had our credit cards maxxed out courtesy of Celebrity, thereby unable to pay for things in port etc. This was because Celebrity has a policy (note HAS - i.e. STILL IN EFFECT) of re-submitting for new authorisation every night for the amount on your guest folio. The problem is that these new authorisations are re-submitted automatically by a computer (in Miami apparently), and the old authorisations are NOT cancelled out.

For US cardholders, this is not a problem as the US cards will automatically cancel off the old authorisation when the new one comes in. However for some Canadian cardholders, the authorisation will stay on your card for up to 10 working days (2 weeks) before it cancels off. Therefore, you have charge on top of charge on top of charge and over the course of the first 9 nights of our cruise we had 9 authorisations still actively pending on our credit cards.

In this particular instance, it took 4 one to one meetings with the accounting purser and 3 days to resolve during which time they had the audacity to 'suspend' our on board accounts and continue to send snotty automatically generated letters that demanded alternative payment for our 'declined' cards. Not so much as an apology let alone any on board credit or goodwill gesture for having no credit cards to use for 3 days and 2 ports and all the hassle and stress.

Moral of the story - If you are a Canadian cardholder, check with your card issuer BEFORE you sail to find out the policy on auto-authorisations and what happens if they are re-submitted and the old ones are not cancelled. If in doubt, pay by cash on board to avoid having your credit cards maxxed out.

I've also found that mini-bar charges often appear which are incorrect, and on my last cruise it took 5 visits to the pursers desk and finally the threat of a written complaint to finally resolve incorrect minibar charges.

We always view our portfolio extremely carefully over the course of the cruise now with RCCL and Celebrity (both use same billing system back in Miami). It's the one thing that really lets Celebrity down.

I have to agree in that on all 3 Celeb/RCI cruises we've experienced on board account issues.

On the Connie, we both had our credit cards maxxed out courtesy of Celebrity, thereby unable to pay for things in port etc. This was because Celebrity has a policy (note HAS - i.e. STILL IN EFFECT) of re-submitting for new authorisation every night for the amount on your guest folio. The problem is that these new authorisations are re-submitted automatically by a computer (in Miami apparently), and the old authorisations are NOT cancelled out.

For US cardholders, this is not a problem as the US cards will automatically cancel off the old authorisation when the new one comes in. However for some Canadian cardholders, the authorisation will stay on your card for up to 10 working days (2 weeks) before it cancels off. Therefore, you have charge on top of charge on top of charge and over the course of the first 9 nights of our cruise we had 9 authorisations still actively pending on our credit cards.

In this particular instance, it took 4 one to one meetings with the accounting purser and 3 days to resolve during which time they had the audacity to 'suspend' our on board accounts and continue to send snotty automatically generated letters that demanded alternative payment for our 'declined' cards. Not so much as an apology let alone any on board credit or goodwill gesture for having no credit cards to use for 3 days and 2 ports and all the hassle and stress.

Moral of the story - If you are a Canadian cardholder, check with your card issuer BEFORE you sail to find out the policy on auto-authorisations and what happens if they are re-submitted and the old ones are not cancelled. If in doubt, pay by cash on board to avoid having your credit cards maxxed out.

I've also found that mini-bar charges often appear which are incorrect, and on my last cruise it took 5 visits to the pursers desk and finally the threat of a written complaint to finally resolve incorrect minibar charges.

We always view our portfolio extremely carefully over the course of the cruise now with RCCL and Celebrity (both use same billing system back in Miami). It's the one thing that really lets Celebrity down.

Once again, I am all over these boards - and Celebrity is the only line where this seems to be a common problem. Makes you wonder.

Archived