Viking China

2tsquared

Hi Harry: Yes, it was great of Viking to continue with the cruise and tours with only 18 of us. I really have to commend them. They moved us all up to deck 5, our meals were taken at three tables near the doors so we all could eat near each other. They did not cancel anything at all and our flights, excursions and entertainment all were as advertised and as planned. One bus held all of us for the excursions.

Our Program Director, Matthew and our Tour Guide Tina were first rate and very willing to answer all questions and provide extra time to us. Could not have asked for better guides. The Chinese meals we had were very good. The American food was average to good.

The only thing we would have reduced were the number of visits to factory shops, especially the Jade factory near Beijing where the sales people were aggressive to the point of being extremely annoying. They would not let us take a step without following us. I think more balance needs to be given to more free time or time at museums than to factory shopping. Of course, a number of lunches were held at these factories so it may be a way for Viking to meet certain goverment requirements or cut costs as they are included with the tour.

Overall, it was a wonderful trip and provided memories for a lifetime. Thanks to Viking for not cutting corners with our small group.

Tina was our guide too when we did the Roof of the World. I assume you were also 'sticky rice' group,huh?

Agree with you on the factory visits. I understand that they might be necessary to keep costs down (or profits up) but it was just too much. The jade factory was particularly bad. My only other comment was that on our tour we had a total down day visiting the the dam, I guess the timing was done to get us to a late afternoon flight to Shanghai, but it was really a wasted day. The dam could be seen in half an hour. We then rushed into what turned out to be only one day in Shanghai.

Still, Viking did a pretty good job, and in fact,we're looking at the India trip with them. Maybe next year.

Oh how lucky both of you were that you were not stuck with shopaholics in your group. We had a group of four from Florida that were always the last back on the bus because they were buying too much. They ended up buying 4 more suitcases before they flew home and had come over with 2 suitcases each in the first place. The one I could have done with far less time at was the embroidery place in Shanghai, There was so much more that I would rather have seen then spending time there waiting for the shopaholics to finish making their purchases. There at least they shipped home their purchases.

We did have some shoppers but nothing out of the ordinary. Everyone was pretty good about getting back on the bus timely. There were two buses and they tried coordinating so both buses weren't in the same place at the same time. We were really lucky in that we ended up with the fun bus. We all clicked from the outset, except perhaps two of the couples that were friends and hung together.

Re the shopping, though, I wish they had given more personal time so you could go explore. We arrived early in Beijing and spent a good part of the first day at the markets on our own. Now that was fun. We did the same in Lhasa.

Agree with you that the time on our own could have been expanded during the tour. We arrived in Shanghai early and so had time to shop especially at the Fabric Market, which was THE BEST place to get clothes made. Had a cashmere overcoat, two sport coats, four shirts and four ladies' jackets made to order - excellent quality and it was so much fun bargaining and getting to know the people. Also did the antique market and spent more time in Yu Gardens than the tour allowed.

In Beijing we also took time on our own and did the markets too. And went to the Temple of Heaven, which was wonderful. And of course we did Hong Kong on our own and the Stanley market was terriric.

I do think that the tour that goes Shanghai to Beijing just has more time and is better suited to the schedule that Viking sets. That being said, the first day of the tour in Shanghai was exhausting - 8 am to 11 pm is a long day, especially for those getting over jetlag.

However, so happy we did the trip and had Tina and Matthew for our culture people. We were indeed her "sticky rice."

I've been lurking on and reading this thread for a few months now, and I'm really enjoying all your posts. Thanks! 3 friends and I will be sailing in June on the Imperial Jewels tour. I have ??'s regarding packing medication. In the past, I have divided my medications into daily dosages and packed them into tiny baggies labeled with that day's date. That way I know for certain if I have taken my meds for the day (sometimes jet lag and time changes make me more confused than usual!) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any problems with medications during airport security, or if you recommend packing meds in original containers.

I've been lurking on and reading this thread for a few months now, and I'm really enjoying all your posts. Thanks! 3 friends and I will be sailing in June on the Imperial Jewels tour. I have ??'s regarding packing medication. In the past, I have divided my medications into daily dosages and packed them into tiny baggies labeled with that day's date. That way I know for certain if I have taken my meds for the day (sometimes jet lag and time changes make me more confused than usual!) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any problems with medications during airport security, or if you recommend packing meds in original containers.

The first hurdle will be with TSA issues. Here's their website http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm .

I pack my pills in carry on in a weekly dispenser. I've never been questioned by TSA or customs about it. Just in case, I also print out my medications list from my mail order pharmacy, which includes prescription numbers. Again, I never have needed it, but if there was a question, it is back up that the meds are prescribed for me.

I'm pretty sure that all customs officers have access to the Physicians Desk Reference, that will allow the identification of various prescription pills and capsules.

ONLY take your medications in their original pill bottles! When we were on the China trip last year,a friend of ours got into China ok and then when it was time to come home, customs thought she had a bomb due to her epi pen (for bee stings)!! She had it in the original 'tube' with the RX label on the outside and a written RX from the doc. If it weren't for our guide, don't know what would of happened. They took them into a 'private room' with each piece of luggage they had, dumped it all out and searched everything. As it was, they 'wrote her and her husband up'. Also, she had one of those tiny sewing kits provided in the hotels in her carry on and got nabbed for that while trying to change planes.

ONLY take your medications in their original pill bottles! When we were on the China trip last year,a friend of ours got into China ok and then when it was time to come home, customs thought she had a bomb due to her epi pen (for bee stings)!! She had it in the original 'tube' with the RX label on the outside and a written RX from the doc. If it weren't for our guide, don't know what would of happened. They took them into a 'private room' with each piece of luggage they had, dumped it all out and searched everything. As it was, they 'wrote her and her husband up'. Also, she had one of those tiny sewing kits provided in the hotels in her carry on and got nabbed for that while trying to change planes.

I'm confused. Customs would imply re-entry into their home county, presumably the USA. I would think that Homeland Security would be familiar with the EPI pen. Was it customs, or airport security outside the USA, and if so, where?

It was customs in Shanghai. Chinese agents. It was when we were checking in for our flgihts. One thing about that trip I learned, they think everyone is a terrorist, sort of like shopping at WalMart, they think everyone is a shop lifter. What I got a kick out of was that there are no liquids allowed, so folks buy their water, etc while waiting for their flight, well, prior to boarding the plane there is another security check in checking again for no liquids. So everyone who had bought anything to drink had to get rid of it! Happened to us in Budapest also when we did the Grand European cruise with Viking.

Thanks, dpump and Jim. I have never had any problems during airport security with the way I pack my meds, but then, I have never been to China! I think I will take everything in the original bottles, and perhaps make a check mark in a pocket calender or diary when I take my pills.

Shannon

Take along your weekly dispenser and put your meds in them once you are in China.

Be sure and pack your meds and anything else of value in your carry on. In China, there is a high probability your luggage will be gone through. I took along locks (TSA approved), used them and had no issues.

I've never had any issues w/TSA (and I travel alot) until China! Learned to just 'go with the flow' over there.

Thanks, dpump, that's what I will do with my meds.

I always "lock" my checked luggage with small zip-ties. Easy to get into when we get to our hotel, (I pack a nail clipper in an unlocked side pocket of the checked bag) and if the tie is broken, I know that my bag was searched.

I am planning on using my ATM card while in China. I've heard (probably on this board) that PINs in China must use 6 digits rather than 4. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Shannon

I am planning on using my ATM card while in China. I've heard (probably on this board) that PINs in China must use 6 digits rather than 4. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Shannon

4 digits worked for me.

Never used my debit card, in fact, only used my CC once, and that was at Starbucks in Shanghai. If you read through the posts, there is info on the #'s needed. Our guide was really good about telling us where it was safe to use your credit card and where not to.

I got my yuan at the exchange at SeaTac prior to leaving for the trip, worked out great.

Thanks, dpump, that's what I will do with my meds.

I always "lock" my checked luggage with small zip-ties. Easy to get into when we get to our hotel, (I pack a nail clipper in an unlocked side pocket of the checked bag) and if the tie is broken, I know that my bag was searched.

Thanks,

Shannon

Shannon, always best to let your credit card issuers know when and where you will be if out of the country. While at it, they can tell you how to use the card at atms.

FYI, We brought and used hundreds of US single dollar bills for tips, water and street souvenirs - without any difficulty. Never had anyone refuse them!

Also, remember that mainland China and Hong Kong use different currency.

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...
I've posted photos of the China Cultural Delights Viking Cruise Nov. 19 to Dec. 4 Shanghai to Beijing. This also includes photos of Hong Kong, which we visited three days before the tour.

Please click this link to view:

http://www2.snapfish.com/shareereg/p=126311230765848838/l=443900719/g=157015786/cobrandOid=1000131/COBRAND_NAME=comcast/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB/testflag=Yes/pns/share/p=126311230765848838/l=443900719/g=157015786/cobrandOid=1000131/COBRAND_NAME=comcast/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

Thanks for sharing your photos. They were just beautiful. Really loved the "people" pics. Was wondering what cabin category yours was? Did Viking provide the flowers?

Thanks.

Hi glad you liked the photos. The cabin turned out to be serendipity. Because there were only 18 of us on the ship, we all got upgraded to the 5th deck. Our room was a suite and was lovely. It had a large bathroom with two sinks, and a lot of storage. Viking did indeed provide the lovely flower arrangement and a bottle of champage. We felt very lucky. We had booked a regular cabin. The only comments anyone had about the 5th deck, by the way, was that the deck chairs were set out at 6:30 am each and every morning so you could hear that happening. Otherwise, it was great.

Hi glad you liked the photos. The cabin turned out to be serendipity. Because there were only 18 of us on the ship, we all got upgraded to the 5th deck. Our room was a suite and was lovely. It had a large bathroom with two sinks, and a lot of storage. Viking did indeed provide the lovely flower arrangement and a bottle of champage. We felt very lucky. We had booked a regular cabin. The only comments anyone had about the 5th deck, by the way, was that the deck chairs were set out at 6:30 am each and every morning so you could hear that happening. Otherwise, it was great.

You also can hear the runners/walkers on the deck. They are supposed to stop at 10P but they don't. They also get started pretty early in the AM.

If I had it to do again, I'd get a less expensive room, give up the flowers and trade it for the quiet.

The rooms are the same size and they all have balconies....one of the nice things about Viking.

Felicia

Was wondering what cabin category yours was?

Thanks.

Hi We were on Viking Century Sun in cabin 408 last year and had to move after 2 days. The cabin was directly under the entrance to the bar on the deck above and the floor was loose! When we asked to be moved they knew about the problem - so can't understand why they didn't fix it or, if that wasn't possible, give us another cabin anyway :rolleyes:.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are going on our first cruise...the Viking River cruise onthe Yangtze in china, in July. (we are educators so no other season is an option.) What is the appropriate attire, especially for evenings in the hotel and on the ship, for men? Is a coat and tie appropriate?

A coat and tie is tooooo much. If your husband really wants to wear them, that would be ok, but it's so hot in July that I seriously doubt that he'll want to. This type of cruise is not a formal one by any means. You probably shouldn't wear shorts in the dining room for dinner, but capri or lightweight pants and a nice blouse is going to be just fine. Some women wore long shorts at dinner, but most women wore long pants or a casual skirt.

During the day, shorts are definitely appropriate, but not very short shorts, just to respect the Chinese culture. A lightweight casual top is ok. Some people wore skirts during the day so it made going to the restroom easier, but that's not really necessary. You will always have time to wait in the line for the western style restroom, and at the worst, I recall 3 people being ahead of me. I did not mind the Chinese style toilets and just pulled my shorts way in front, squatted and went. :)

You can also buy these things that are like funnel cups that fold flat that let you use the bathroom (er, I'm referring to "#1") while standing, but I never used them.

Be sure you carry toilet paper with you, because the western style toilets don't always have that, but almost always there is a Chinese attendant who will be happy to give you a square or two. (Be sure you tip her a little bit when you come out. They do an excellent job keeping the restrooms clean.)

Ok, but back to your question ---

The nights out (like for the opera or the acrobat shows) are a tad more dressy, but not formal by any means and not even coat and tie attire.

Any more questions, just holler.

Felicia

My husband and I are going on our first cruise...the Viking River cruise onthe Yangtze in china, in July. (we are educators so no other season is an option.) What is the appropriate attire, especially for evenings in the hotel and on the ship, for men? Is a coat and tie appropriate?

We were on the cruise last July and nobody wore a jacket or tie for dinner. Even the nights out in Beijing and Shanghai, were quite casual. Long pants for the men and capris or long slacks for the women make sure that you do not get odd looks from the locals. We had a couple that were quite different on the our cruise and they went in shorts regardless of where we were going. Needless to say, they got quite the looks from the locals.

Archived