Viking China

2tsquared

:confused:

I've read every post on this thread, I promise, but most of them so long ago that I can't remember everything (we booked last summer for our trip this November).

Could someone let me know about eating salads and other things that could have been washed in tap water.

I don't recall any warnings along the lines of "peel it, boil it, or forget it" like there are for other areas of the world but it seems if you can't drink the water, things like lettuce in salads might be a problem. Or maybe they don't serve salads or raw food?

Any advice about what not to eat to try to avoid digestive problems would be appreciated.

Thanks -

Leslie

(Any advice about what not to eat to try to avoid digestive problems would be appreciated.)

Not to worry. When you are on the river boat you'll have nothing to worry about. Everything served to you has been prepared properly. The salads and such, everything. The only water you need to be concerned with is your sink tap and shower. Brush your teeth with the bottled water provided each day......and don't talk while you shower...........

We're so upset at 8:00 PM tonight, Viking called & said the trip to Tibet is cancelled because of the Chinese. We're not sure if we'll go at all on 9/25/09. It was my husbands favorite!!!!!!!!! All set to roll & half packed. Any one else hear this??

Dee

(Any advice about what not to eat to try to avoid digestive problems would be appreciated.)

When I went, I 'd take a (tablet form) Pepto Bismol. No issues. An old trick from one of the doc's I work with. Yes, some (a few) had GI issues, but that can happen to anyone traveling in the US.

Like the other post, use precautions with drinking the water, brushing your teeth, etc. I also took along some Immodium, just in case. Those that had GI issues, were glad others brought it along so they could borrow some.

If you are the partner of a person with disabilities' date=' please do not hesitate to do all the difficult things by yourself - we want it that way!![/quote']

Expectations are important. I can tell you that the women on the trip I took were disappointed that they could not participate in everything and that they felt they were misled by Viking on the physical requirements of the trip.

Embarking the boat in Chongqing was an adventure for one of women and it cost her a bit of money as she could not do but a few stairs.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Not to worry. When you are on the river boat you'll have nothing to worry about. Everything served to you has been prepared properly. The salads and such, everything. The only water you need to be concerned with is your sink tap and shower. Brush your teeth with the bottled water provided each day......and don't talk while you shower...........

Yes, it's safe to eat at the places Viking has on the tour. But what you can't control are people who are ill using the buffet or digging into the communal dishes with their utensils. Be first in the buffet line and don't go back. LOL

My doctor traveled to China recently and said that about 80 percent of her group became ill, including her--mostly respiratory. She stayed away from the watermelon because of how she saw it being farmed. Don't ask.

I'm on my second round of antibiotics to counter the respiratory illness I picked up over there. I was very, very careful. Oh well.

Thanks for the advice on what to eat - and not talking in the shower! I think that's how I got my mummy tummy in Egypt; I was great about only drinking & brushing my teeth with bottled water but forgot and swished some shower water around one morning - oops.

dpump -- I was considering taking Pepto B. each day also as a preventative measure but I just read it's 2 tablets 4 times a day, so 8 tablets a day. That's a lot! Is that what you took?

Jakndee -- That really stinks about Tibet getting canceled - we're not headed there but I would be heartbroken if I were.

We're so upset at 8:00 PM tonight, Viking called & said the trip to Tibet is cancelled because of the Chinese. We're not sure if we'll go at all on 9/25/09. It was my husbands favorite!!!!!!!!! All set to roll & half packed. Any one else hear this??

Dee

Yes, just read it in this morning's paper and my first thought was about the Viking trips to Tibet & what would they do. Do you have the option to postpone your trip without any penalty? I understand your disappointment--I know I would be, too.

Jakndee

Two years ago when we went on our trip, the closed borders to Tibet also happened. No one cancelled. Yes, a disappointment, but why let it ruin your trip? I think this border closing is an often occuring issue.

thank you for your input. waiting to hear from viking on new itinerary

Dee

You know, I completely forgot about the 60th anniversary of the PRC on October 1, 2009 - it probably should have been the first thing I talked about!! It was 60 years ago on October 1, 2009 that Chairman Mao declared the founding of The People's Republic Of China. There is a MONSTROUS to-do scheduled for Tiannemen Square that day.. The group before us could not go to the Square or the Forbidden City because they were closed for rehearsals. The ones staying at the Raffles - which is a block away from the Square - were threatened with possible sniper fire if they opened their windows. We think it is because their Special Forces were rehearsing - this is the first national celebration they will be attending, and the Chinese did not anyone spying on them prematurely. We had points at the Grand Hyatt - also a block away - we used to stay two extra days in Beijing, and we heard a terrifying roaring at night that I later learned was tanks rolling around the Square. Needless to say, they do not want the Tibetans to act up during this world news event - and believe me, they DO NOT appreciate the Chinese one bit - and I am sure that is why they closed the border - so they can beef up their already terrifying military presence there without notice by the rest of the world. I would advise you to go to chinadaily.com - this is their main english paper - and read the daily paper, and register so that you can type "archives" in search, and then "national day" in the archives search. You will have to sift through a lot of junk, but you will see a few nuggets about this massive celebration. I am so sorry you have to undergo this torture - maybe you can still substitute Guillin and Hong Kong. I know this is of no help, but I got absolutely NO value from the people answering the Viking 800-number - thank god we had our travel agent get some traction on the issue of our Tibet permits, or we would not have been able to go either.

I had salad every day for lunch on the boat, and did not get sick. Hotels like the Shangri-la, Raffles, etc - top of the line, in other words - are also trustworthy.

Once again thank you for the info. We have decided to go on our great adventure any way, to much preparation to let this chance pass.

Will write when we get home 10/12/09.

Dee

I also appreciate all the info.... we arrive in Beijing Sept 29th and leave for Xian on the October 1st. I hope it's note closed while we are there!

Were you restricted on snack foods, dried fruit etc that you carry on plane and into China?

:D :D With all this talk about food, this is something cute I received from two of our fellow cruisers, Lord & Lady Meer. We were on the 5/30/2008 sailing. Click on the following link for all you wanted to know about Chinese food but were afraid to ask. :D :D

Chinese Food Song

:D :D With all this talk about food, this is something cute I received from two of our fellow cruisers, Lord & Lady Meer. We were on the 5/30/2008 sailing. Click on the following link for all you wanted to know about Chinese food but were afraid to ask. :D :D

Chinese Food Song

That is really cute... sent it to several friends!

Yes, it's safe to eat at the places Viking has on the tour. But what you can't control are people who are ill using the buffet or digging into the communal dishes with their utensils. Be first in the buffet line and don't go back. LOL

Using your own utensils in communal dishes is one of my pet hates and on a holiday with so many self-serve meals I was very pleased that no-one was guilty of this sin:D on our trip.

Hi Dale - couldn't believe you've still got the Chinese food song.:D

Brenda

Using your own utensils in communal dishes is one of my pet hates and on a holiday with so many self-serve meals I was very pleased that no-one was guilty of this sin:D on our trip.

Hi Dale - couldn't believe you've still got the Chinese food song.:D

Brenda

Great advice, but if I eat first, there will be nothing left fo anyone else.... (oink-oink)

My wife and I just returned on September 1st from an amazing cruisetour aboard the Viking Century Sun and Viking River Cruises. It was a spectacular trip to say the least. I have hundreds of photos and some videos and audio at http://www.amazingchinacruise.com for those interested. I also have audio since I produce a talkshow, which is also on that site. We did the 12 day cruisetour starting in Beijing and ending in Shanghai. Saw the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Terra Cotta army, the Three Gorges Dam and so much more. I'd highly recommend this trip for anyone interested in seeing China. My wife and I both stayed healthy throughout the whole trip because we took some key supplements. Echinacia, Glucosamine, Omeg 3, high-quality vitamins, and something called Intestiflora for our digestive tract. We didn't get sick, but some others did.

Were you restricted on snack foods, dried fruit etc that you carry on plane and into China?

The only things that the Chinese airlines were death on were fluids of any kind. I had some American snacks in my carryon and they were not even questioned. Sometimes the small bottles of hand sanitizer were confiscated, other times they went through.

What did suprise me when we returned to the US was that after you go through the screening, you cannot take on bottled water or coffee that you buy in the terminal. I always do this in the US and have never had a problem with taking it on board. They stood near the boarding gate and asked people if they had drinks or water with them--even on the return flight to the US. If you did, they confiscated them.

My wife and I just returned on September 1st from an amazing cruisetour aboard the Viking Century Sun and Viking River Cruises. It was a spectacular trip to say the least. I have hundreds of photos and some videos and audio at www.amazingchinacruise.com for those interested. I also have audio since I produce a talkshow, which is also on that site. We did the 12 day cruisetour starting in Beijing and ending in Shanghai. Saw the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Terra Cotta army, the Three Gorges Dam and so much more. I'd highly recommend this trip for anyone interested in seeing China. My wife and I both stayed healthy throughout the whole trip because we took some key supplements. Echinacia, Glucosamine, Omeg 3, high-quality vitamins, and something called Intestiflora for our digestive tract. We didn't get sick, but some others did.

Great Website with wonderful information.... getting excited

leave for China in 4 days!

Archived