Viking China

2tsquared

I believe the Premium package is Catagory A or above as we are in Catagory A & have the premium package

Thanks I looked on Viking's web site and saw no mention of premium package and did a search of their site no results.:)

Thanks I looked on Viking's web site and saw no mention of premium package and did a search of their site no results.:)

Didn't even know we had it until we received our invoice - believe the only difference is upgraded hotel rooms - from what I've read the "standard" hotel rooms are quite nice.

Didn't even know we had it until we received our invoice - believe the only difference is upgraded hotel rooms - from what I've read the "standard" hotel rooms are quite nice.

As long as my bride is with me I'll be happy as a man can be. She is my "Premium Package"

Our Viking booking document states:

"Cultural Delights, (Premium Land Package #1), 6-nights Premium Accommodations:"

......and it then goes on to list the hotels, the Westin in Shanghai, the Shangri-La in Xi'an, and the Raffles in Beijing. We weren't aware that some people would be placed in one type of accommodation and some in another, depending on the cabin booked. As was mentioned in a previous post, I certainly don't remember reading anything like that in Viking's literature or fine print.....

The next line:

"Viking Century Sun, Category "A", Cabin 437,-"

.....but it doesn't tie the two together as both being "Premium." On the boat, I didn't think you got into premium stuff unless you booked a suite, i.e., that the non-suite cabins are all pretty much the same except for location.

gm what is the premium package ?

THe premium package is the higher cat. and prices and I didn't realize this either until we got our final documents and it referred to premium package on the hotel list. All the rooms on the boat are the same and therefore I wouldn't pay extra to be on a higher floor or cat. Several I met said they had booked early and the current advertised prices got below what they had paid so they called Viking and were told they could rebook only IF they took a premium package (cat.), which they did because it was still lower than what they had previouslyly paid. We didn't have a choice since we booked only 5 weeks before and got one of the last cabins & an unblievable price!!!!! Of course Viking was trying to fill the tour/boat and it was July, a very hot month! We normally stay in Marriotts and all the Viking hotels are far superior and exceeded our expectations! I was in China 21 years ago and the standards for us spoiled Americans has greatly improved. The only western toilets then were in the hotels!!! It is a fabulous trip so all enjoy!!!

If I've got all this straight, we got the "Premium Land Package" because we booked an "A" class cabin on the boat, even though the cabins on the boat don't really differ. The irony is that our reservation was one of the last available (in fact, a reservation made by somebody but not paid for), and so we had no choice other than to accept an "A" cabin or not go......which we did, because the price was still great.

If I've got all this straight, we got the "Premium Land Package" because we booked an "A" class cabin on the boat, even though the cabins on the boat don't really differ. The irony is that our reservation was one of the last available (in fact, a reservation made by somebody but not paid for), and so we had no choice other than to accept an "A" cabin or not go......which we did, because the price was still great.

Same thing happened to us, they said there was only 1 cabin left because someone didn't pay their deposit - I wonder how many people they said that to in order to sell the remaining cabins

THe premium package is the higher cat. and prices and I didn't realize this either until we got our final documents and it referred to premium package on the hotel list. All the rooms on the boat are the same and therefore I wouldn't pay extra to be on a higher floor or cat. Several I met said they had booked early and the current advertised prices got below what they had paid so they called Viking and were told they could rebook only IF they took a premium package (cat.), which they did because it was still lower than what they had previouslyly paid. We didn't have a choice since we booked only 5 weeks before and got one of the last cabins & an unblievable price!!!!! Of course Viking was trying to fill the tour/boat and it was July, a very hot month! We normally stay in Marriotts and all the Viking hotels are far superior and exceeded our expectations! I was in China 21 years ago and the standards for us spoiled Americans has greatly improved. The only western toilets then were in the hotels!!! It is a fabulous trip so all enjoy!!!

I'll just settle for the cheaper rooms!!:):cool:

I'll just settle for the cheaper rooms!!:):cool:

We did have a cat.E, one of the cheapest and that is all that was left(5 weeks before the trip). Save your money for "treasures"! We were very happy! The rooms in Beijing and Shanghai were several levels above standard, I'd call them suites! The cabins on the boat all the same, identical except for the few suites. Relax and enjoy! GM1:o

Same thing happened to us, they said there was only 1 cabin left because someone didn't pay their deposit - I wonder how many people they said that to in order to sell the remaining cabins

Same thing also happened to us last year. We were told only one cabin was left. When we boarded found out the boat was only half full. Or was it half empty?

Same thing also happened to us last year. We were told only one cabin was left. When we boarded found out the boat was only half full. Or was it half empty?

We were on 9/28 sailing and they told us we had last cabin. Several others on trip said they were told same thing. Our sailing WAS full, but they are only sailing the Century Sun, not both ships. They leased the Viking Century Sky out to another operator! We paid for higher cat so we could get $800 off air and "half price off cruise (LOL)" We got $1,795 off air and $1,264 off cruise which brought it down to same as everyone pays on other Yangtzee packages!

Is anyone taking binoculars? What about those who have already gone - is it worth taking them? I'm trying to reduce the weight of my luggage so I'd only bring them if it was really worthwhile.

We took a small pair of opera glasses... great for the cruise on small boat to see Hanging Coffins.

Hey, Sparky....

I debated bringing binoculars also and decided against it because I was bringing a big heavy camera. As previously noted, the only time I might have wanted them was to see the hanging coffins. However, I zoomed my camera up there and then looked at the pictures. I don't think there is enough to see to justify the weight. You would have to carry them every where you went to have them at just the right time - and I can't think of any other time I would have wanted them. Even along the river, by the time you go to your cabin to get them, it would be too late.

Wonderful trip....have a good time.

Thanks Lucky Granny, I'll skip the binocs. It sounds like just using the zoom on my camera will work if we want to get a closer look at the coffins. That saved me valuable space/weight for some treasures to bring home. :)

As I'm starting to pack I'm noticing almost everything I'm taking with me was made in China. Kind of funny...

Seems like any souvenirs we buy there we could most likely find here without looking too hard!

Some of the things you will buy there might be available here but the price will be much better there. The kites sold along the River were really cute...several pieces attached one after the other....and they, as well as fans, got down to 12 for $1.00. Fake Rolexes were 2 for $10, and some really pretty brocade tote bags 6 for $10. We did not buy anything of value but were able to bring back something for everyone we knew because we could get things so cheaply. Buy inexpensive items from the vendors along the river - Beijing was more expensive. Buy tee shirts very large, if you can find them, because they will shrink.

Our five-star hotels were magnificent...don't know what more we could have wanted....especially the bathrooms. We called home from our rooms, briefly, and then paid for the calls upon checkout....less than $10 a call, I think it was around $3 per minutes....but we didn't call to chat, just to check in.

It was a wonderful trip....have a good time.

I paid for a Cat ?? (the most expensive one) and what made it more expensive was that it was the highest deck of rooms. However, that ended up being less than delightful when, after a long day of touring, I was ready to dive into bed and I could hear joggers running around the track which was directly above me!

Or deck chairs being moved around.....this went late into the night. I'd call guest relations and they'd ask the joggers to stop, which they would but then they'd start up again.

How anyone could jog after the day's events is beyond me! :confused:

So I think the less expensive cabins is better all around, especially as you say, they are all the same size and have the same amenities.

Btw, I'm not saying that Viking's customer service was not good. As a matter of fact, it was spectacular. Just some of the cruisin' folks didn't care that they were bothering others.

Felicia

We did have a cat.E, one of the cheapest and that is all that was left(5 weeks before the trip). Save your money for "treasures"! We were very happy! The rooms in Beijing and Shanghai were several levels above standard, I'd call them suites! The cabins on the boat all the same, identical except for the few suites. Relax and enjoy! GM1:o

Seems like any souvenirs we buy there we could most likely find here without looking too hard!

I'd like to add a couple of thoughts on this. Sometimes when you get off the bus, that is not where you'll get back on, so if you see something you want, don't think you can get it when you go back that way.

Also, have a few one dollar bills in your hand and think quickly. So if you see something you want, you don't have a lot of time to negotiate a price, as the guide isn't going to stop while you decide if you want this or that.

I found it interesting how some people would barter over a group of items, like 5 fans for $2 and they'd try to get 6 for $2. I figure a dollar isn't going to hurt me much, but definitely goes a long way to the vendors.

Felicia

I think you may be overestating the problems of the "boat". China is the most polluted place on earth. The air is grey; you can almost feel the particles in the air as you breathe. There were days on our trip, both land and sea (we spent an extra 10 days traveling independently on land), that we could not see more than 500 yards around us.

My husband and I both had respiratory problems when we got home and they lasted for several weeks. This is very, very common to anyone traveling in China who has not built up the immunity needed. I certainly did not think it was a problem with the boat.

I don't think anyone is overstating the problems of the boat. When people started coming down with illnesses, Viking should have served the food rather than keeping the buffets going. There are no sneeze guards, so sick people were handling the utensils and sneezing all over the food. There was no emphasis on using the hand sanitizer that was all over the ship. And the people with GI distress were also using the utensils and participating in the Chinese dishes, even diving in with their chopsticks instead of using the serving utensils. That's a prime way to spread disease. I'd say it accounted for a lot of the illness on the trip. We tried to be first in line at the buffets and not go back so as not to share the germs.

You're right, another complication is the number of people in China and foreigners' lack of immunity to the germs that are endemic there. Both my husband and I still have residual respiratory infections. My doctor took a tour to China and said that about 80 percent of her tour got sick. The air quality is pretty bad and that doesn't help.

I've intended to write Viking about it and may still do so.

Lani

I don't think anyone is overstating the problems of the boat. When people started coming down with illnesses, Viking should have served the food rather than keeping the buffets going. There are no sneeze guards, so sick people were handling the utensils and sneezing all over the food. There was no emphasis on using the hand sanitizer that was all over the ship. And the people with GI distress were also using the utensils and participating in the Chinese dishes, even diving in with their chopsticks instead of using the serving utensils. That's a prime way to spread disease. I'd say it accounted for a lot of the illness on the trip. We tried to be first in line at the buffets and not go back so as not to share the germs.

You're right, another complication is the number of people in China and foreigners' lack of immunity to the germs that are endemic there. Both my husband and I still have residual respiratory infections. My doctor took a tour to China and said that about 80 percent of her tour got sick. The air quality is pretty bad and that doesn't help.

I've intended to write Viking about it and may still do so.

Lani

We just got back Sat and loved it. You must have been on a different boat from us. I only know 2 people on boat who got sick, both with diareaia. Both roomed together and probably slipped up and used sink water to brush teeth! 2 Doses of Imodium AD and they were fine!

We go on 2 cruises a year and this is the 1st time in 10 years that my wife HASN'T got sick! We were more careful, and maybe lucky.

There was serving utensils in each dish on buffet and also on the lazy-susan at table! Our tablemates were nice and smart and used serving utensils to put food on plate and then used chopsticks to eat!

They did have hand sanitizers everywhere and even hot face towels when you returned to ship! We did spray all our purchases with Lysol before handling!

Ps. Chinese sim card worked for calling US for $0.40 per minute! Several people on boat borrowed to call home! Free Skype calls worked on WIFI from hotels but not ship since internet was free but too slow! And no WIFI on ship!

Archived