PNG or New Caledonia Vanuatu?

RMS Olympic

Hi

I've just come back from a fabulous PNG/Solomons/Vanuatu cruise :)

For me PNG wins hands down.......such lovely, warm and welcoming people and a fascinating destination

Vanuatu......well, disappointing to be very honest. Dusty, dirty......and I didn't feel very comfortable walking around :o

I adored Rabaul and Kitava.....and would go back in a heartbeat :D

We did the PNG cruise a couple of years ago and loved it, we were blown away by the beauty of the places we stopped. We did ship excursions in Alotau and Rabaul and although expensive, they were very safe and interesting. Infrastructure in these towns wasn't great so it was good to be with guides who knew how things worked. At the island ports you just wander on the beaches and through the markets, with a refreshing dip when you feel hot. We haven't done either Vanuatu or New Caledonia by boat, but they are lovely land destinations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did the PNG tour on the Sea in 2014 and it was amazing, The following year we did the Vila Caledonia tour which was also fantastic. However the PNG tour wins hands down for me, if it's not the natural beauty it would be the history that has interested me in going back.

With that said, Vila has changed over the years and it's now very easy to get around. It was a memorable trip and Luganville is a great destination, particularly if you like diving between ww2 artifacts.

Any pros or cons on these two itineraries.... Sailing out of Brisbane? I like both cruises but am leaning towards PNG. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Tom

We've done South Pacific twice. I would recommend New Caledonia and Fiji, the latter being very friendly. I agree that Vanuatu is hole. I haven't been to PNG for many years but I have read many favourable reviews. Princess and P & O are really turning their attentions to PNG and I believe facilities fo ship tourists are being well delivered.:D

Any pros or cons on these two itineraries.... Sailing out of Brisbane? I like both cruises but am leaning towards PNG. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Tom

We will be traveling on the golden princess to PNG departing Brisbane on the 08 September 2017. We are looking forward to tour of Volcano in Rabaul also interested in ww2 history of PNG, should be a great cruise!:cool:

Regards

Steve

This feedback has been very helpful. I will have to wait and see the 2018 scheduled to make a final decision. I have to admit I am hoping to sail the Sun Princess as she has a special place in my heart. I was fortunate to have sailed her maiden voyage in Dec 1995.....Princess really went all out on that cruise. To sail the same ship 23 years later would be very special to me. I just hope they offer the 10 or 11 day sailing because adding 2 days transit makes it a 2 week trip and I have the dog go consider. Yes I am one of those fog people that hates to be separated.

Thanks

Tom

We will be traveling on the golden princess to PNG departing Brisbane on the 08 September 2017. We are looking forward to tour of Volcano in Rabaul also interested in ww2 history of PNG, should be a great cruise!:cool:

Regards

Steve

We're doing PNG, Vanuatu and New Caledonia on Golden Princess in May. I'd love to hear more about this volcano tour mentioned above, is it a Princess excursion or independent?

Thanks in advance, Angela

We're doing PNG, Vanuatu and New Caledonia on Golden Princess in May. I'd love to hear more about this volcano tour mentioned above, is it a Princess excursion or independent?

Thanks in advance, Angela

For me it was back in 2014 though I doubt anything has changed. It is a princess tour and is quite good given that the 1994 eruption virtually wiped Rabaul out. First we visited what was left of an underground Japanese dug out and mini museum, there is part of a japanese planes wing there with the flag on it. Then to the volcano with the bubbling ocean etc etc, you get close enough to take some great photos and feel the heat. After that we went to see another downed Japanese plane, a reasonably small market with traditional dancing etc etc. Then off to the volcano monitoring station looking over Rabaul, a magnificent view. In my opinion it was all worth it.

For me it was back in 2014 though I doubt anything has changed. It is a princess tour and is quite good given that the 1994 eruption virtually wiped Rabaul out. First we visited what was left of an underground Japanese dug out and mini museum, there is part of a japanese planes wing there with the flag on it. Then to the volcano with the bubbling ocean etc etc, you get close enough to take some great photos and feel the heat. After that we went to see another downed Japanese plane, a reasonably small market with traditional dancing etc etc. Then off to the volcano monitoring station looking over Rabaul, a magnificent view. In my opinion it was all worth it.

Thank you! Do you think it would be ok or too dangerous for a (sensible, quiet, well behaved) 6 year old?

Thank you! Do you think it would be ok or too dangerous for a (sensible, quiet, well behaved) 6 year old?

It will be fine. You don't actually go up the volcano, but do get a great view of it. The hot springs were cordoned off with tape when we were there in September, and I think one of the locals was watching in case anyone tried to be "clever" and duck under the tape. You can get close enough to take great photos and feel the heat of the steam but not so close that you could accidentally slip in and get burnt. We enjoyed the tour immensely.

It will be fine. You don't actually go up the volcano, but do get a great view of it. The hot springs were cordoned off with tape when we were there in September, and I think one of the locals was watching in case anyone tried to be "clever" and duck under the tape. You can get close enough to take great photos and feel the heat of the steam but not so close that you could accidentally slip in and get burnt. We enjoyed the tour immensely.

Thank you so much! I think you've sold me, we'll be booking it! My Grandfather was in PNG during WW2, so I also like that there's some wartime history to the tour as well.

The ww2 history is certainly a strong point of the trip, It sounds like you'd enjoy this trip. I think back in 2014 on the Sea princess, I re-call the muster station saying it was a new destination. So we could walk across the springs unattended right up to the bubbling Ocean, even back then I thought that freedom wouldn't last long. With that said you're going to see exactly the same thing with a bit of safety included and I think this is a good thing. Just remember it's very very hot no matter were you go in PNG. A great tour that I'd commit to again any day.

So we could walk across the springs unattended right up to the bubbling Ocean, even back then I thought that freedom wouldn't last long.

Apparently they had a few people who stuck their fingers in to see how hot the water was, and at least one person who stood to close to the edge of the boiling stream and who got seriously burnt when the edge crumbled and his/her foot slipped into the water.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Apparently they had a few people who stuck their fingers in to see how hot the water was, and at least one person who stood to close to the edge of the boiling stream and who got seriously burnt when the edge crumbled and his/her foot slipped into the water.

I had no doubt that something of that nature would happen, If I stayed 20 meters back I would have had the same experience. Not to make the OP worry, it's a safe easy tour and a 6yo will be absolutely fine. I am inspired to go back and do the other tours.