FYI Harv and Marv 10% off for November

JasonV1

Code NOV10 provided on website (http://www.harvandmarvs.com/), enter at payment screen. 50% deposit required.

Cheaper than most cruise line tours even without the discount ($165pp for 6 person boats, $145pp for 14 person boats), and well worth it when you see the mega whale watching barges that always seem to be multiple hundreds of yards away from the whales. I did the 14 person boat tour and there was plenty of room.

My review: I sailed with them in 2015, and am doing so again in 2017. Bring a good camera with a 300mm zoom if you want pictures worth putting on your wall (I've got ones of tail breaches, pods all blowing at once (with juveniles in the pod!), bubble feeding, etc).

Edited by JasonV1

Code NOV10 provided on website (http://www.harvandmarvs.com/), enter at payment screen. 50% deposit required.

Cheaper than most cruise line tours even without the discount ($165pp for 6 person boats, $145pp for 14 person boats), and well worth it when you see the mega whale watching barges that always seem to be multiple hundreds of yards away from the whales. I did the 14 person boat tour and there was plenty of room.

My review: I sailed with them in 2015, and am doing so again in 2017. Bring a good camera with a 300mm zoom if you want pictures worth putting on your wall (I've got ones of tail breaches, pods all blowing at once (with juveniles in the pod!), bubble feeding, etc).

Thanks for the heads up on the discount. I am interested in booking a tour for my husband.

I hope you don't mind my asking a related question. I'm reluctant to try whale watching on a small boat due to sea sickness, even with Bonine, although on their website site they say they have only had 15 seasick passengers in 11 years!

I'm sure it depends on the weather, but in your experience, was there a lot of bobbing during your excursions? I'm fine on a small boat when it is moving forward (the faster the better!), but bobbing in place has been a problem for me in the past

I'm sure it depends on the weather, but in your experience, was there a lot of bobbing during your excursions? I'm fine on a small boat when it is moving forward (the faster the better!), but bobbing in place has been a problem for me in the past

There’s certainly more movement on the smaller boats. In several trips out there was only once that it became very rough on the smaller Harv and Marv boat for us. So rough that we had to change to a larger boat in order to safely make it back to the dock. They usually cancel before it gets that bad.

If seasickness is a potential issue, go with the larger boats.

We did a small boat tour a couple of years ago, and I take the sea sick pills everyday on the big ship, and had no problems. I would suggest that you take one the night before and day of and then should have no problem. It is definitely worth taking the small boat tour.

There’s certainly more movement on the smaller boats. In several trips out there was only once that it became very rough on the smaller Harv and Marv boat for us. So rough that we had to change to a larger boat in order to safely make it back to the dock. They usually cancel before it gets that bad.

If seasickness is a potential issue, go with the larger boats.

By larger boats, did you mean their 14-passenger? (I know it's all relative!)

Thanks!

We did a small boat tour a couple of years ago, and I take the sea sick pills everyday on the big ship, and had no problems. I would suggest that you take one the night before and day of and then should have no problem. It is definitely worth taking the small boat tour.

It sounds like a great tour. I just need to find the "less-drowsy" Bonine balance of not getting seasick and being awake enough to enjoy the ride!

By larger boats, did you mean their 14-passenger? (I know it's all relative!)

Thanks!

At least the 14 passenger boat. For me, if I was prone to seasickness I'd stick with the ship's excursion which is operated by Allen Marine and go out on one of their catamarans.

We transferred to a 14 passenger boat and it was still rough although we were able to safely make it back to the dock. Harv and Marv canceled the next trip out. We had water breaking over the bow onto the top of the cabin and spilling onto the back deck.

Chances are you will have no problems and could take craftygrandma's advice although she wasn't on our trip.

At least the 14 passenger boat. For me, if I was prone to seasickness I'd stick with the ship's excursion which is operated by Allen Marine and go out on one of their catamarans.

We transferred to a 14 passenger boat and it was still rough although we were able to safely make it back to the dock. Harv and Marv canceled the next trip out. We had water breaking over the bow onto the top of the cabin and spilling onto the back deck.

Chances are you will have no problems and could take craftygrandma's advice although she wasn't on our trip.

Sounds like a little frightening transferring to another boat in rough seas!:eek:

The word catamaran brings back memories. I was as sick as a dog one time on a catamaran going from Oahu to Hilo several years ago. The catamaran company assured me the water was as smooth as glass and that "no one ever gets sick" on their excursions! (This even though I told them I would send my husband in my place.) The wrist bands I had didn't help at all. Fortunately, another passenger had a spare Dramamine which helped a lot by knocking me out. Unfortunately, I slept through the rest of the excursion (snorkeling and BBQ) and awoke only in time to see the catamaran tour company passing out Dramamine for the trip back!

Remembering this, I think I'll just book my husband on the whale watching expedition, and ask him to take a lot of pictures!:)

Thanks, again, for the helpful advice.

Remembering this, I think I'll just book my husband on the whale watching expedition, and ask him to take a lot of pictures!:)

Chances are things will be fine, regardless of the boat size. Of several trips we’ve taken out of both Juneau and Icy Strait Point, It has been choppy in the past but certainly not bad. Harv and Marv normally provide excellent customer service and I’m sure you’d be happy with them. Just be prepared for the possibility of it being rough, so rough that they do cancel those smaller boats at times.

I like the smaller boat but have opted to book larger boats just to avoid the possibility of the trip being canceled. I only make it down that way a couple times per year and would hate to miss an opportunity to go on a whale watch.

Sorry for the delay in responses.

You aren't in open water, so the waves aren't as bad as you might think. My wife and daughter are prone to seasickness and had no issues. I know they had the seasickness bracelets, and I don't think they needed the pills.

Thanks for the heads up on the discount. I am interested in booking a tour for my husband.

I hope you don't mind my asking a related question. I'm reluctant to try whale watching on a small boat due to sea sickness, even with Bonine, although on their website site they say they have only had 15 seasick passengers in 11 years!

Sorry for the delay in responses.

You aren't in open water, so the waves aren't as bad as you might think. My wife and daughter are prone to seasickness and had no issues. I know they had the seasickness bracelets, and I don't think they needed the pills.

Glad to hear your wife and daughter did fine! Thanks for the response.

Chances are things will be fine, regardless of the boat size. Of several trips we’ve taken out of both Juneau and Icy Strait Point, It has been choppy in the past but certainly not bad. Harv and Marv normally provide excellent customer service and I’m sure you’d be happy with them. Just be prepared for the possibility of it being rough, so rough that they do cancel those smaller boats at times.

I like the smaller boat but have opted to book larger boats just to avoid the possibility of the trip being canceled. I only make it down that way a couple times per year and would hate to miss an opportunity to go on a whale watch.

This is our first Alaska cruise, but, hopefully, not our last. I might just have my husband go and bring back a report this time. (and pictures)

Harv and Marv sound like a great duo!