Royal Family Suite on Radiance of the Seas

NightRN

Hi! I'm thinking of doing an Alaskan Cruisetour on Radiance of the Seas. There's 6 of us - me, my husband, two kids will be 17, one will be 15, and one will be 13. Does the Royal Family Suite have enough room for all of us? I know it says that it holds 8, but is that realistic?

NightRN

On my Alaskan cruise aboard the Serenade, we had a Royal Family Suite. The Serenade is a sister ship to the Radiance, so they will be the same as far as features and dimensions. I do believe that this cabin will be fine for you and your family.

There is a master bedroom which sleeps two and has it's own bathroom. This bathroom has a tub/shower combo and is quite large. More than one person could get ready in this bathroom. This bedroom has a huge walk in closet. It has shelves in the back for accessories, shoes, folded clothes, or whatever. I was able to put my very large suitcase in there on the floor and have it open the whole time and it wasn't in the way. Actually, there were two open on the floor! I unpacked almost all my clothes! Lots of hangers, too. There is a vanity and bench in the bedroom as well as the one in the bathroom.

The second bedroom sleeps 4. There's the two beds like usual that can be together or apart and then two that pull from the ceiling. Set up, it would be "bunk bed" style. Then you have the sleeper sofa, which can be made out into a bed that sleeps two. Bedroom two has a decent size closet, probably a little bigger than what is in a standard cabin. There's an additional coat closet in the living area.

In other words, there's plenty of room for your stuff! Plus more room!

Those cabins are aft, which are wonderful for the Alaskan scenery and fjord sightseeing.

We found the bedrooms great for afternoon naps. You can shut the door and have dark and quiet, while everyone else can go about the room.

There is a second regular size bathroom as well. I know this is important for all of those kiddos getting ready to go. You will have the two bedrooms, two bathrooms, plus lots of storage. An added benefit, concierge service, if that matters to you.

I hope this helps.

SeaBreezy

SeaBreezy,

Did you find there was much vibration/motion in these aft cabins? We are booked in an Owner's Suite on Jewel for next month. We chose the OS over the Royal Family Suite because of concerns about motion/vibration in the aft area of the ship. Now I am having second thoughts. I like the idea of having two separate bedrooms and a separate living room so we can have more privacy when the kids go to sleep. The layout is more open in the OS. There are sill RFS available so we could still upgrade but are hesitant because of vibration concerns. DH is prone to motion sickness.

JessLCH,

Vibration was not a problem. The only time I really felt any was when we were lining up to dock or pulling away from the dock. Cruising along, we never felt vibrations. Even when you did feel it, it didn't last that long and it just reminded me that we were cruising!:D

I also expected more movement, but didn't feel much more than the usual cabin types we had booked in the past (E2 or 3).

If you want the space and privacy, go for it! I truly don't think that motion sickness will be a problem and especially not the vibration.

Have a great trip!

SeaBreezy

SeaBreezy,

Did you find there was much vibration/motion in these aft cabins? We are booked in an Owner's Suite on Jewel for next month. We chose the OS over the Royal Family Suite because of concerns about motion/vibration in the aft area of the ship. Now I am having second thoughts. I like the idea of having two separate bedrooms and a separate living room so we can have more privacy when the kids go to sleep. The layout is more open in the OS. There are sill RFS available so we could still upgrade but are hesitant because of vibration concerns. DH is prone to motion sickness.

You should have taken the Royal Family Suite!!!!!!!!

Still deciding whether or not to upgrade to the RFS from the OS. While I prefer the OS' midship location, I do like the idea of the separate bedrooms of the RFS since wh have small kids with us. Does the RFS have a DVD player in cabin?

Yes, the RFS does have a nice sitting area with a sofa, full size coffee table, club chair and ottoman and another club chair. There is also a breakfast area with a small table with 3 chairs. The fourth chair is at the other make-up vanity in beside the 2nd bathroom. There's also a little bench for the vanity in the master bedroom. So, all in all, you have seating for 10 easily and that doesn't even include the chairs on the balcony.

The RFS has a TV in the master bedroom and a larger one in the living area. There is a stereo/DVD system in the room with speakers all around.

You get robes and nice full size toiletries in the RFS.

This is funny: The RFS even has a DOORBELL! That just cracked me up!

SeaBreezy

Just back from the 10/29 sailing of the serenade and absolutely loved the RFS. We had 5 in the suite (DH, DD-22, DD-19 and DS-15) there was more than enough room for all of us and we never felt crowded. Storage was no problem at all. There are drawers and shelves every where plus 3 closets.

Thanks. Just contacted TA. We have decided to upgrade to Royal Family Suite. Is there in suite hook up for internet? DH will, unfortunately have to quickly check in with the office each day. And, I don't suppose anyone has any photos of the RFS to share. Would love to see them. How was the balcony?

Thanks SeaBreezy! All that information was extremely helpful in putting my fears to rest. The thought of the doorbell cracked me up too.

Tammie - I was told that 1st & 2nd passenger pay full rate and then it's cheaper for the other 4. I can't book ours because the prices aren't available yet.

Is the balcony large enough for all 6 of us to sit out there at once? I think it would be nice for us to all have dinner out there one night - if I don't freeze my behind off! This desert rat still isn't sure about the temperature in Alaska! :D

Archived