Parsippany or Somewhere else?

Jyllie63

We stayed in Secaucus 6 years ago and it was easy transport to NYC by train. The Sheraton provided shuttle service to train station. This time around we will once again be driving to the Port and want to visit NYC but it will be on a saturday instead of a weekday. Is staying in another area an option? The hotel prices are cheaper in the Parsippany area. We will have a car that we can drive to a bus or train station. Secaucus would be okay, but The NJ turnpike and me did not get along very well the last time ;). My son in law will be doing the driving this time around so it's not a huge issue. We just thought stopping in Parsippany will cut down our drive time that day from Ohio.

We stayed in Secaucus 6 years ago and it was easy transport to NYC by train. The Sheraton provided shuttle service to train station. This time around we will once again be driving to the Port and want to visit NYC but it will be on a saturday instead of a weekday. Is staying in another area an option? The hotel prices are cheaper in the Parsippany area. We will have a car that we can drive to a bus or train station. Secaucus would be okay, but The NJ turnpike and me did not get along very well the last time ;). My son in law will be doing the driving this time around so it's not a huge issue. We just thought stopping in Parsippany will cut down our drive time that day from Ohio.

What date would you be doing this, how many people, and how many rooms? Are you coming in I80 or I78?

Stopping in Parsipanny would certainly cut down your drive time, but if you're planning to stay 2 nights and want to go into NYC for the day, Parsipanny is too far out IMO. Secaucus offers both train and bus transportation.

Another place folks have been staying is at the Hilton Gardens in Ridgefield Park. This is close to I80, which means you could take the George Washington Bridge into Manhattan instead of dealing with the turnpike and Lincoln Tunnel. This hotel also offers a park/sleep cruise for the Manhattan cruise Terminal.

You could also look at Comfort Inn in Edgewater, NJ.

Thanks...I will check those out! We prefer to NOT drive into the city. We will be staying over March 24,25...Anthem leaves on the 26th. I did find the Hilton Parsippany for under $100 ( I think it's on Hotwire for $81) and it said complementary shuttle ride to train station. Although we don't mind driving to a train station so this isn't actually needed. Not sure of our route yet. We came in I-80 last time.

Edited by Jyllie63

Thanks...I will check those out! We prefer to NOT drive into the city. We will be staying over March 24,25...Anthem leaves on the 26th. I did find the Hilton Parsippany for under $100 ( I think it's on Hotwire for $81) and it said complementary shuttle ride to train station. Although we don't mind driving to a train station so this isn't actually needed. Not sure of our route yet. We came in I-80 last time.

Forget all that I said. You said New York, so I gave you the Manhattan Cruiseport directions. Anthem sails from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ, so the advice needs to be completely different.

How many people and how many hotel rooms?

2 rooms...3 adults...3 children. :) I thought my grandson might like the train ride :)

I believe Morristown is the closest train to Parsipanny. Adult fare to Manhattan is $14 each way and kids under 12 are $6.25, so that's a minimum of $60.75 each way for your group. Ride is 1 1/4 hours with about 15 stops. Hourly trains on weekends.

I would suggest looking at hotels at Newark Airport or Secaucus. To go into NYC drive from the hotel to Secaucus Junction train station (NJ Turnpike Exit 15X on the eastern turnpike) where you will pay $10 to park on a Saturday (http://www.parkfast.com/secaucus-parking?ibp-adgroup=adwords&gclid=CJPzmuvSwdACFYZKDQodB2cN9A) and $4.25/pp adults and $1.90/pp children each way to and from New York Penn Station.

If you want to keep your hotel expenses down, stay in Parsipanny one night, drive to Secaucus Junction, and stay at the airport or Secaucus the 2nd night.

I was actually thinking about this idea...to switch hotels...Secaucus will probably be the stop for both nights though since I remember how easy it was before. Do you know if the Sheraton there has changed names? You helped me last time, and now your info is helping again! Thanks so much!

I was actually thinking about this idea...to switch hotels...Secaucus will probably be the stop for both nights though since I remember how easy it was before. Do you know if the Sheraton there has changed names? You helped me last time, and now your info is helping again! Thanks so much!

Honestly we don't get a lot of questions about Secaucus on this forum. I think that what used to be the Sheraton has been rebranded. The Hilton Garden is reasonably priced for your date on Expedia and Priceline.

Honestly we don't get a lot of questions about Secaucus on this forum. I think that what used to be the Sheraton has been rebranded. The Hilton Garden is reasonably priced for your date on Expedia and Priceline.

The Sheraton became a Hilton in 2013. http://archive.northjersey.com/news/meadowlands-sheraton-to-switch-to-hilton-1.634723

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info! While we liked the Secaucus area, we hated that hotel location. I'll try to stay away from it this time around lol.

Hey Jyllie, we are on the same cruise. We are staying at the W in Hoboken, but we only had to get 1 room.... You can find decent rates, on the PATH, in Newark, Hoboken and Jersey City. We chose Hoboken due to it being on the Hudson.

• 5 weeks later...
Hey Jyllie, we are on the same cruise. We are staying at the W in Hoboken, but we only had to get 1 room.... You can find decent rates, on the PATH, in Newark, Hoboken and Jersey City. We chose Hoboken due to it being on the Hudson.

are you parking at the port or getting a taxi/car service?

We had originally planned on renting a van for all of us to drive together but it seems cheaper to just take 2 cars, but then we have the parking fee for 2 cars at Cape Liberty. I'm now wondering if staying in Newark/Elizabeth might be the better option and then taking a car service.

are you parking at the port or getting a taxi/car service?

We had originally planned on renting a van for all of us to drive together but it seems cheaper to just take 2 cars, but then we have the parking fee for 2 cars at Cape Liberty. I'm now wondering if staying in Newark/Elizabeth might be the better option and then taking a car service.

Hi Jyllie - here's my plan C suggestion for you with two cars.

Look at the Ramada Plaza.

Trinityreservations.com - March 25 -$204 tax included for room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people. For March 24 you book the second night for about $100 on a third party site like Kayak, LastMinuteTravel, or United.com. You might have to pay parking for the extra night. So that's a little over $600 for two nights lodging, parking for 7 days, and

round trip port transportation for 6.

On March 25 you drive to Secaucus Junction at exit 15X on the eastern spur of the NJ Turnpike and pay to park (I think it's $10 on Sat but check it out). Train one stop to Manhattan is $4.25 and under 12 $1.90.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are my 3 finalists and some insider insight is wanted ;)

Parsippany (Sonesta Suites). This is the most cost effective hotel for us but we would have to drive to a train station to visit NYC on saturday.

Country Inn and Suites Elizabeth. Not sure how much of a pain it is to shuttle to the airport and then get a train into the city. We will have a whiny 16 year old with us as well as a 3 year old and a 9 month old.

Secaucus (thinking about Red Roof Plus). This seems like a decent hotel...close drive to the train station, but looks like there is a bus stop very close to it that we could take instead of a train.

Thoughts...Pros and Cons?

Here are my 3 finalists and some insider insight is wanted ;)

Parsippany (Sonesta Suites). This is the most cost effective hotel for us but we would have to drive to a train station to visit NYC on saturday.

Country Inn and Suites Elizabeth. Not sure how much of a pain it is to shuttle to the airport and then get a train into the city. We will have a whiny 16 year old with us as well as a 3 year old and a 9 month old.

Secaucus (thinking about Red Roof Plus). This seems like a decent hotel...close drive to the train station, but looks like there is a bus stop very close to it that we could take instead of a train.

Thoughts...Pros and Cons?

Another question - do you need a refrigerator and microwave for the baby? IMO with a whiney child and two babies, you need a flexible, quick, and easy trip into Manhattan and that would be a train.

Sonesta - too far out and too long a trip.

Country Inns - must drive to Secaucus Junction to catch train. Train costs $25/pp round trip adults from EWR and $8.50/pp rt adults from Secaucus Junction. Little ones are free. About 4 trains per hour.

Red Roof - hotel is out in the area near the hotel you stayed in before and didn't like. You should drive to Secaucus Junction. Bus stop appears to be 4-6 blocks away-probably involves some sort of overpass crossing of Route 3. You'd have to call the hotel to find out - Sat bus schedule is 1 bus/ hour - not really good.

I have stayed at Country Inns several times. It has a pool. It has free breakfast. It has Jersey Gardens Mall. It has a Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Applebees, Johnny Rockets, and a mall food court.

Edited by 138east

We don't necessarily need a fridge or microwave.

I tend to agree about needing the quickest way in and out of NYC which is the train.

I prefer Country Inn and Suites but didn't think about driving to Secaucus. My SIL prefers to walk/shuttle to the train which is why we thought taking the airport shuttle to EWR and then getting the train there. But I also read this is about an hour long ordeal (and I see much more expensive). Any idea how far this hotel is to Secaucus?

Carol, do you know what hotels might be the closest to Secaucus Junction? The area wasn't so bad the last time as the access. We couldn't turn left out of the hotel so we always had to get back on the highway to go anywhere. It was just very confusing.

I thought about the Ramada through Trinity for the 2nd night, but with 6 of us we really don't want to shuttle. I've read shuttles AND private cars so I'm not sure what we would really get.

You've given me some good things to think about! Thanks!

We don't necessarily need a fridge or microwave.

I tend to agree about needing the quickest way in and out of NYC which is the train.

I prefer Country Inn and Suites but didn't think about driving to Secaucus. My SIL prefers to walk/shuttle to the train which is why we thought taking the airport shuttle to EWR and then getting the train there. But I also read this is about an hour long ordeal (and I see much more expensive). Any idea how far this hotel is to Secaucus?

Carol, do you know what hotels might be the closest to Secaucus Junction? The area wasn't so bad the last time as the access. We couldn't turn left out of the hotel so we always had to get back on the highway to go anywhere. It was just very confusing.

I thought about the Ramada through Trinity for the 2nd night, but with 6 of us we really don't want to shuttle. I've read shuttles AND private cars so I'm not sure what we would really get.

You've given me some good things to think about! Thanks!

It's about 10 miles on the Turnpike (MUST follow Lincoln Tunnel signs to get to 15X) and a $3.20 toll each way. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom

Country Inns is an easy on easy off from the turnpike as is Secaucus Junction.

There isn't much at Secaucus Junction. I think the closest hotel is probably Candlewood Suites.

I am using the Trinity package next week and will be posting about my experience.

Carol, How difficult would it be to return a car. We thought about renting for the 10 days we'll be gone, but now thinking about one way rentals. Is the best option EWR or a neighborhood location? We may consider the Ramada/Trinity option depending on the ease of car return.

Carol, How difficult would it be to return a car. We thought about renting for the 10 days we'll be gone, but now thinking about one way rentals. Is the best option EWR or a neighborhood location? We may consider the Ramada/Trinity option depending on the ease of car return.

Returning or getting a rental car is always annoying, but it's not a process that everyone has to participate in. Avis, Hertz, and National are at the P3 Airtrain stop and Budget and Dollar are at the P2 Airtrain stop. These locations are about 3.5 miles from Frontage Road.

To drop off someone would have to drive to the rental car location,return the car, and take the Airtrain back to P4 to connect with the hotel shuttle. Coming back folks could get off with all the luggage at the Ramada while one person continues on the shuttle to P4 to get the Airtrain to the rental cars, rent the car, and drive back to the hotel to pick everyone else up.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/Travel-Guide-AirTrainNewark.pdf