princess vs carnival

jdemps

I am diamond on Carnival and platinum on Princess. I have found that most of the people who disparage Carnival have never sailed Carnival or have sailed a short cruise during peak season.

When you sail Carnival makes a big difference. If you sail during summer, spring break or the week between Christmas and New Years you will see many families and 20 somethings, which will bring the party atmosphere. We generally take longer cruises, more than 10 days, so the age demographic is usually older.

The newer Carnival ships have a more subtle interior. A few years ago they switched interior designers so no more large grapes in the dining room, pink zebra stripes etc. Some ships still use table cloths, if they have switched over to the American table, then no tablecloths. The only issue I have with no tablecloths is that the glasses may slide if they sweat.

I have 25 cruises and 256 days sailed on Carnival. I have never seen a fight break out. I have seen drunk passengers on both lines. I have met rude people on both lines. I have witnessed seat saving on both lines. People are people, it doesn't make a difference what cruise line you choose. That being said, in general, I find the staff friendlier on Carnival. On my last Princess cruise there was an older man who wore denim overalls to dinner every night. Carnival has a more casual dress code for dinner, but some people like that, others will still dress for dinner.

Does Carnival have more goofy activities? Yes. But if that's not your style, you can go elsewhere on the ship and find something more to your liking. The shows at night, Carnival is OK, I find Princess has a little better quality for the fly in entertainment, not the production shows.

On our most recent Carnival cruise (Dream) we were asked if we wanted cabin service in the morning or night, we told our cabin steward both, and we got both.

There are differences between the 2 lines. Is one better? I can't say, that's really a personal opinion.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I am diamond on Carnival and platinum on Princess. I have found that most of the people who disparage Carnival have never sailed Carnival or have sailed a short cruise during peak season.

When you sail Carnival makes a big difference. If you sail during summer, spring break or the week between Christmas and New Years you will see many families and 20 somethings, which will bring the party atmosphere. We generally take longer cruises, more than 10 days, so the age demographic is usually older.

The newer Carnival ships have a more subtle interior. A few years ago they switched interior designers so no more large grapes in the dining room, pink zebra stripes etc. Some ships still use table cloths, if they have switched over to the American table, then no tablecloths. The only issue I have with no tablecloths is that the glasses may slide if they sweat.

I have 25 cruises and 256 days sailed on Carnival. I have never seen a fight break out. I have seen drunk passengers on both lines. I have met rude people on both lines. I have witnessed seat saving on both lines. People are people, it doesn't make a difference what cruise line you choose. That being said, in general, I find the staff friendlier on Carnival. On my last Princess cruise there was an older man who wore denim overalls to dinner every night. Carnival has a more casual dress code for dinner, but some people like that, others will still dress for dinner.

Does Carnival have more goofy activities? Yes. But if that's not your style, you can go elsewhere on the ship and find something more to your liking. The shows at night, Carnival is OK, I find Princess has a little better quality for the fly in entertainment, not the production shows.

On our most recent Carnival cruise (Dream) we were asked if we wanted cabin service in the morning or night, we told our cabin steward both, and we got both.

There are differences between the 2 lines. Is one better? I can't say, that's really a personal opinion.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I totally agree with your assessment and find they are more alike then different and each have strengths.....the biggest difference I see is that Princess has more diverse itineraries and goofier looking people instead of goofy activities...:)

We took our first Carnival cruise because it was half the price of Princess for a Mediterranean itinerary. We had such a good time that we took a Caribbean cruise on the same ship, as well as her sister ship. My husband still prefers the food on Carnival. We just had a wonderful cruise on the Regal but there were things we didn't like. We had a rowdy group of people having dinner in Sabatini's whose foul language and loud conversation ruined the atmosphere for everyone else in the room. We have also had groups of drunk teenagers roaming the hallways on previous Princess cruises, so rude, drunk, or obnoxious is not only a Carnival thing.

I totally agree with your assessment and find they are more alike then different and each have strengths.....the biggest difference I see is that Princess has more diverse itineraries and goofier looking people instead of goofy activities...:)

You're right about the itineraries. It's the main reason we started looking at other lines. There is a limit on the number of times I can go to Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas etc. We have been to Alaska twice with Carnival, this year we are doing the land/sea with Princess. I meant to mention that but felt my post was a little long winded.