In the Wake of the Vikings inside Temps

Saxon830

Read the blog post when it came out. Didn't see any info on what public area temps were like. North Atlantic crossing in late September! Do we need layers for inside too?

That's a tough call no matter what the season. Everybody reacts differently.

Edited by Peregrina651

• 1 month later...

I agree that the subject of personal temp preference is unique to everyone, so I can only offer my personal opinion.

My wife and I have been on two cruises on the Star. One in the Baltic and one (we just returned from) in the Caribbean. Both had excellent temp control. Not once in the ~25 days total we have spent on the Star did we hear anyone comment or complain about the temp.

The 'Wintergarden' area, as the name implies, is kept noticeably cooler than the rest of the ship. But other than that, the temp control is IMO superbly handled.

I know folks have reasons they ask, and different tolerances.

Folks seem to think that the ship will be warm inside the ship while it is hot outside. And they also seem to think it will be cold inside the ship while in cold climates.

I have found over our many cruises from warm to cold climates that inside temps were about the same. If anything, the inside might be colder in warmer climates and warmer in cold climates.

I of course do not understand how folks dress sometimes. I notice during the winter that people will ride 4 hours in a plane with their winter jacket on. But, if they are flying to or from the southern states/countries, they have shorts on.

Planes, like ships and like malls, etc try to keep an average temperature year round.

I know folks have reasons they ask, and different tolerances.

Folks seem to think that the ship will be warm inside the ship while it is hot outside. And they also seem to think it will be cold inside the ship while in cold climates.

I have found over our many cruises from warm to cold climates that inside temps were about the same. If anything, the inside might be colder in warmer climates and warmer in cold climates.

I of course do not understand how folks dress sometimes. I notice during the winter that people will ride 4 hours in a plane with their winter jacket on. But, if they are flying to or from the southern states/countries, they have shorts on.

Planes, like ships and like malls, etc try to keep an average temperature year round.

I'm always cold, on airplanes, I gave a sweater or coat handy. On cruise ships, I bring a shawl. But in the cabin, I like it a little cooler because I like sleeping with blankets on, lol, to each his own

I'm always cold, on airplanes, I gave a sweater or coat handy. On cruise ships, I bring a shawl. But in the cabin, I like it a little cooler because I like sleeping with blankets on, lol, to each his own

I'm like that too. Layers layers layers! It's easy enough to put a sweater/jacket/shawl on or off depending on whether the sun is out or not. Or if the A/C is blasting or not.

As a side note. I haven't found a place or taken time to write a full report on our most recent trip, but while on the subject of temp....

One of the MANY reasons we love Viking Ocean are the bathrooms. The heated floors and heated mirrors (which as I understand, keeps the mirror from fogging). The heated mirrors do a wonderful job even after one of my marathon showers!

But my point I'd like to spread around as much as possible... The floors in the bathroom are slightly elevated from floor level of the rest of the cabin. Not by much, just a couple of inches or so. This creates a situation where when stepping out of the bathroom you are stepping onto a lower level, and onto a non-carpeted floor. If doing this wearing socks it can be very dangerous. Prone to slipping. So BE CAREFUL!!

I should note that both our cruises on the Star have been in a Penthouse JR Suite. I'm not sure if all cabins are the same way or just these. Regardless, be careful when exiting the bathroom wearing socks!