My aunt just got back from Carnival and staff said this about Cozumel...

IBRelaxin2

About six months till they would fully return there, most ships would be replacing it with Costa Maya (that leave from Miami), mainly the Victory. I don't know how true it is, but she asked the staff since she knows I'm supposed to go in a month and they said that to her.

I'm due to be in Coz in about 3 months. I don't care if I have to tender in, I sure hope to get there! Costa Maya and Belize are already on our Itinerary, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and sending an email to Uncle Bob!:confused:

The Gov. of Coz and the local paper and those that live there said the cruise ships would start returning Nov.14. People would be tendered in. Some jewlery stores will not be open at that time due to ins. reasons. Diamonds Intl. has 7 stores redone and ready to open its doors.

Those shops that will not be ready will be boarded with white plywood so as to look clean.

Over 50 tour operators are resdy for that date.

I hope they meet their target date-north end had less damage -Cinco Soles had none for example. The east side of the island recieved the brunt of the storm from all local reports.

The crew is usually the last to know. I usually take what they say with a grain of salt. RCI is looking to start the return to Coz on 11/14 with some of their ships. My bet is ships will be returning quicker than most think. They do not need the piers as tendering used to be the norm on the island.

I know that Coz wants and needs the tourist dollars and I have absolutely no problem with the tender process - although the docks were very convenient.

But.......my real concern is that if the city is not ready for tourists what is the point of tendering cruisers in to see damage and destruction and rebuilding. :eek: I'm sure that the cruise lines are looking at alternative ports as a way to ensure a pleasant experience for their travellers.

I only hope that they truly wait until Coz is ready for "company" before they start sending the cruise ships. A rush to return might leave the cruisers with a bad feeling about their experience in Coz. It has been such a wonderful place to visit...I hope it will be again :(

I will be curious on what is decided. We are scheduled to be in Coz on Dec 6. I have always wanted to go there but not really interested if the place is going to be 10 percent on what is normally is. I will look forward on what others say if it is open on Nov 14.

Oh, *THAT* will get the piers rebuilt faster. :rolleyes:

I am such a fan of sarcasm, I love reading yours. But you forgot to mention the Billion dollars and lifetime of free cruising that everyone will get for a port change :rolleyes: because they deserve it!!!

I know that Coz wants and needs the tourist dollars and I have absolutely no problem with the tender process - although the docks were very convenient.

But.......my real concern is that if the city is not ready for tourists what is the point of tendering cruisers in to see damage and destruction and rebuilding. :eek: I'm sure that the cruise lines are looking at alternative ports as a way to ensure a pleasant experience for their travellers.

I only hope that they truly wait until Coz is ready for "company" before they start sending the cruise ships. A rush to return might leave the cruisers with a bad feeling about their experience in Coz. It has been such a wonderful place to visit...I hope it will be again :(

US too, Love it but, so sorry., not coming to rebuild physically.

who's uncle Bob, CEO:confused: like a statment from them isn't overdue:(

I only hope that they truly wait until Coz is ready for "company" before they start sending the cruise ships. A rush to return might leave the cruisers with a bad feeling about their experience in Coz.

From what I've read, it seems like they will be ready a lot sooner than any of us could imagine. Since they are so geared towards cruisers, they're cleaning up with that in mind. As for how visitors view Coz when they arrive, I really hope that people will take into account that the area was just devastated by a hurricane, and look for the good things, not the bad. :(

Just keep in mind that even tho they are planning to start allowing cruise ships into Cozumel by Nov. 14th., that does not necessarily mean that ALL ships will return there by then. I doubt that Coz will be able to handle several ships each day in the beginning. This is just a guess but I would think it will be a gradual process. They might start with just one or two ships per day and as things are rebuilt and they can handle more, more ships would be allowed in. We're scheduled to be there in March and I think we will probably be going there by then but I'm not holding my breath. I'll just go with the flow and whatever happens, happens.

Just keep in mind that even tho they are planning to start allowing cruise ships into Cozumel by Nov. 14th., that does not necessarily mean that ALL ships will return there by then. I doubt that Coz will be able to handle several ships each day in the beginning. This is just a guess but I would think it will be a gradual process. They might start with just one or two ships per day and as things are rebuilt and they can handle more, more ships would be allowed in. We're scheduled to be there in March and I think we will probably be going there by then but I'm not holding my breath. I'll just go with the flow and whatever happens, happens.

Exactly my thoughts! I would LOVE to go to Cozumel, but if we go to Costa Maya or somewhere else, so be it...I will still enjoy my cruise! I'm scheduled to be there in January and would like nothing more than to sit on the beach drinking a cold Mexican beer! BUT, I will go wherever Carnival takes me:)

I'm just wondering how that pier is in the center of town that they used to tender. Ya got to get off somewhere.......:eek:

It will be a BUSY LITTLE AREA... I read on a SCUBA BOARD that many of the small hotel piers that were used for dive trips were damaged, and they are directing people to that same pier...

Tom

Archived