Island wedding or Cruise wedding?

So one other thing my fiance and I are having a hard time deciding is whether or not we get married on an island or on the boat. Does any one have a suggestion? We thought if we did choose an island it would be Cozumel. We heard it is the prettiest place to get married for the stops we will be making. Please let me know your opinions :D

I think both sound pretty great but Txrn is right about Cozumel.....what are your other stops? If you are doing Belize/Honduras/Grand Cayman, there are some beautiful spots in each of those as well.

We went with onboard b/c I was afraid of missing a particular port (my own worries, not necessarily reasonable all the time. ha) and we wanted to get married in our embarkation city so that non-sailing guests could still come and not have to fly to St. Thomas......Just for the record, our pictures (onboard) were wonderful, and not inside for the ceremony. We got married on deck, as have many other couples. Lots of pics with the ocean, port and blue sky in the background.

We are leaving Galvestion, TX, then we stop at Montego Bay; Jamaica; Grand Cayman; Cayman Islands; Cozumel; Mexico; then back to Galvestion.

We were told that Cozumel would be the prettiest of all the stops. We thought it would be awesome to have a beach wedding.

So you think that Cozumel might still be messed up in the beginning months of 2007?

Thanks for the idea's, we are so lost. We even have my fiance's best friend helping us decide some things :rolleyes:

Check out Grand Cayman. I think they had some decent packages and I think it's gorgeous there, just too crowded. Might be the perfect port for the wedding, maybe you would avoid the crowds. Also, I know Cozumel requires a blood test for the license. May not be a big deal, but personally, I wouldn't want to deal with that.

Good luck and congrats!!

I agree -- Grand Cayman is very pretty (very crowded right where you come in from the tender, but getting away from there it is very very pretty) I am not a huge Cozumel fan. I don't think the beaches there were all that exciting -- not that I'd turn my nose up at any beach, but I thought the water was bluer and the beach more picturesque in the other places than Cozumel. And in light of Wilma, that may be even more true now.

I have not done Jamaica yet -- I've heard mixed reviews -- some say "dirty and drug infested" while others say it is very pretty and they liked it alot. I think a lot of that has to do with where you go, what sort of personality you have, etc.....my DH was offered drugs at the horse stable we went to in St. Maarten. (He declined) Some people are quite scandalized by that which I think is part of the reason Jamaica might get the reputation it has for some cruisers (again, I have not made it there just yet!)

(I've done Chakkanab and Playa del Sol at Cozumel I think......GC and St. Thomas and St. Maarten all beat it.) Good Luck!

Well I guess we should look into the Cayman Islands. I am not so sure about a blood test in Cozumel. Not to be rude, but I don't think I want any foreign needles going in my body. Thank you all for your suggestions, I will talk to Ben and see what he thinks. Perhaps we can look some pictures up and try and see the difference between them. We would be lost without the help of others that have been through this, or about to go through this. :D

Personally, we are getting married prior to the ship leaving in Miami so that friends/family who do not wish to sail can still attend our wedding. We have been to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel and my opinion was that the beaches in Grand Cayman were beautiful. Don't get me wrong the beaches in Cozumel were nice too but Grand Cayman had them beat hands down. If I were having an island wedding and had to choose between the two I would go with Grand Cayman.:)

our daughter is getting married .....in....well we don't know how many days...because we do not know when or where....

however....the $2500 worth of invitations that went out say dec 17 at the hotel el presidente....in cozumel....

unfortunalty wilma decided she wanted to stay at the el presidente and did more damage than your average rock band!!!!!.... the hotel is destroyed and will not be up and running for close to a year....

we have always sailed during hurrican season...like in the very worst of the time of hurricans....and have never had a port canceled...and itenerary changed...we have skirted storms....but never had a problem...

so 10 months ago when we decided to do a destination wedding...to avoid the "banquet room look of the airport hilton"....face it no matter where you have the wedding or reception...it is never as wonderful as a sandy beach in caribbean!!!!....who thought decmber would be a problem....

and actualy it won't be....it was what october brought....

now we are scrambling to get rccl to let us have the wedding on the ship....and they are being less than helpful.....

would I plan this again.....of course....just make sure you have a reasonable back up plan.....that you can slide into place.....soemthing we did not....

as for a destination....you can not go wrong w/ any of them....

but this is what we did....we contacted a hotel.....and they were taking care of everything....all the destinations you listed have wonderful hotels....

we were to be in port from 7am - 7 pm....so this is what we lanned for the hotel.....

wedding at 3 pm......on the beach....open bar....and mirimba band...the entire time.....photographer....snacks like chips ad dip...perhaps some fruit...then at 5 - 530 the couple leaves from the beach i a motor boat...

we arranged with tho hotel for 2 rooms for the bride and her maids to spend the day....and dress ....

the hotel set up transprtaton .....flowers ....everything....

and by doing it at 3 pm...it allowed guests to have activities before the wedding....

the night before the wedding is the captains dinner....

everything was perfect....

was........

now....our only choice is the ship.....and ubnless we can convince them to do it on the deck.....we might as well be at th airport hilton...

if you need any info let me know....

good luck.....trish

Well I am starting to think that I definitely want to get married on a beach island, barefoot in the sand. So maybe that is the way we will go. Sounds like the Cayman Islands are possibly a better option then Cozumel. I will look up some pictures and let my fiance know and see what he says. All of your advice has really been helping us. We really appreciate it. Thank you so much. If we do need anything, we will be sure to ask ;)

What month are you sailing? How is the weather during that time? The Cayman Islands are gorgeous and one of my favourite ports but one thing you might want to consider is that you have to tender. If the water is too rough that day you will be unable to get off the ship (which isn't too uncommon from what I've heard...there are a few threads on this board that talk about missing the island b/c of rough seas).

I agree with the concern of tenders at Grand Cayman. At first, we considered Grand Cayman because we could cruise out of Houston/Galveston or New Orleans and save the airfare (and possibly have more guests cruise with us). However, knowing we almost missed Grand Cayman once ourselves due to winds - yet a beautiful day outside - that deterred us. It would be interesting if there is a website showing how many cruises are scheduled for Grand Cayman each month, and how many do not get to make land due to tender conditions (or tendering is delayed causing a shorter port day). On the other hand, Grand Cayman is beautiful, but definitely worth thinking about what pandabebe mentioned.

I found a thread regarding Grand Cayman. I was the one who actually posted it (duh...I'm such a dumb dumb for not remembering): Have you Ever Missed Grand Cayman

Just something you should probably consider. If you have your heart set on Grand Cayman then I suggest that you book your wedding through the cruise. That way if you can't get off the ship they will be more likely to accomodate or help you make arrangements to get married on another island! GOod luck!

our daughter is getting married .....in....well we don't know how many days...because we do not know when or where....

however....the $2500 worth of invitations that went out say dec 17 at the hotel el presidente....in cozumel....

unfortunalty wilma decided she wanted to stay at the el presidente and did more damage than your average rock band!!!!!.... the hotel is destroyed and will not be up and running for close to a year....

we have always sailed during hurrican season...like in the very worst of the time of hurricans....and have never had a port canceled...and itenerary changed...we have skirted storms....but never had a problem...

so 10 months ago when we decided to do a destination wedding...to avoid the "banquet room look of the airport hilton"....face it no matter where you have the wedding or reception...it is never as wonderful as a sandy beach in caribbean!!!!....who thought decmber would be a problem....

now we are scrambling to get rccl to let us have the wedding on the ship....and they are being less than helpful.....

would I plan this again.....of course....just make sure you have a reasonable back up plan.....that you can slide into place.....soemthing we did not....

but this is what we did....we contacted a hotel.....and they were taking care of everything....all the destinations you listed have wonderful hotels....

we were to be in port from 7am - 7 pm....so this is what we lanned for the hotel.....

wedding at 3 pm......on the beach....open bar....and mirimba band...the entire time.....photographer....snacks like chips ad dip...perhaps some fruit...then at 5 - 530 the couple leaves from the beach i a motor boat...

we arranged with tho hotel for 2 rooms for the bride and her maids to spend the day....and dress ....

and by doing it at 3 pm...it allowed guests to have activities before the wedding....

was........

now....our only choice is the ship.....and ubnless we can convince them to do it on the deck.....we might as well be at th airport hilton...

good luck.....trish

Breathe in...breath out...breath in...breath out....you need to let it go, it didn't work out as planned and it is not Cozumel or RCCL's fault, it was an act of nature. I am afraid you are not going to be able to move forward and enjoy the process (or your daughters wedding day) until you let the anger go. After reading all of your other posts on the other thread about this topic I am exhausted.

BTW, some girls would be thrilled to be married in a banquet room at a Hilton...... I am sorry you have had a hard time, I really hope you get it worked out.

was........

good luck.....trish

Why did you send those invitations out, you knew in Oct. there was a problem !

• 3 weeks later...

had not sent them out.....but they were already engraved....

and ....once again....let me point out....I am furious w/ RCCL because their lack of help with this....never have ai blamed them for the weather....

and finally....the point of this post....was to let the OP know....have a back up plan....we did not.....and shame on us for it never occuring to us that something like this could happen....after all....when was the last time a hurrican w/ 145mp winds sat on a destination for 60hrs....

I think a destination wedding is definatly the way to go.....just plan it all w/ a hotel....and I would not do it at a tender port....not only because of the rough sea situation....tendering is just a hassel

by the way...we are 10 days out...and RCCL finally gave us a venue for the wedding on the ship....and how ironic...it is a conference room... and we are thrilled to have it

trish

Island Wedding

and dont plan it through Royal Romance or The Wedding Experience. Plan it through an outside vendor.

Pick a port with the longest time and dont forget (if you are going to legally tie the knot as opposed to doing a symbollic ceremony) to research the legal issues.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Your daughter's wedding invitations cost $2,500?????? How many people are going on this wedding cruise? We had 60 guests at ours (52 sailed with us) (got married on the ship and it was very nice, didn't look like the Airport Hilton!) and our invitations didn't cost close to that! We ordered them individually boxed from http://www.bottlemeamessage.com and they turned out beuatifully. They actually were like souvenirs.

• 2 weeks later...

My son will be etting married on the Conquest ship while in port in Montego Bay. He is hoping to get off the ship to take some pictures at Montego Bay. This way they get the best of both. (the ship wedding and the pictures on the island). Anyone ever done this?????????????????????????????

Location comments - I've heard Cayman is incredibly gorgeous, and considered it, but I also heard that there are higher possibilities of port cancellations there due to rough waters; not sure how true this is, but something to look into.

I've been tracking Cozumel's progress, as we're going to be there in a couple of months, and it sounds like they're coming along. Huge investments going in there from the major cruise lines because it's so vital to the cruise industry. I would think by early 2007 it would be in much better shape than right now.

I always hear bad things about Jamaica as a port stop, so I can't give you any feedback on that idea, I didn't consider it on my list.

I choose Key West because it was a US port (less hassle with a marriage license), reliable port (close to departure point, reliable piers / schedule) and has a huge wedding industry for do-it-yourself-ers (i.e. those who want to avoid Royal Romance/Wedding Experience).

I also thought St. Johns would be beautiful for a wedding - maybe for our vow renewal someday!

• 2 weeks later...

Still the good ole USA!! That is what I was thinking.

Has anyone done a Key West wedding. We are looking at booking Celebrity for March 2007.

The wedding's are through royal romance I think. They us the Hyatt and I looked at it and it does not have a very big beach??

I may look at an independent vendor?

I was thinking March because that is a low rain month and great temps!

So many decision!! UGH!

The wedding's are through royal romance I think. They us the Hyatt and I looked at it and it does not have a very big beach??

I

Do not let the people at the Hyatt on Front Street/Duval Street try and tell you they have a beach. At best it is 10x10 feet. I think they have some gorgeous public areas though.

The Marquesa or The Banyon Tree and spectacular.

The rooftop of The Conch Hotel would also be gorgeous.

As for a hotel with beach, The Wyndham Reach or Wyndham Marquesa has the best hotel beaches.

Key West doesn't really have many beaches. What they have is all man made.

Archived