Thoughts about a long wedding cruise

CanPan

Hi everyone!!

I met my guy when I came to Latin America to work. We've been together for 4 years and decided we want to have a cruise wedding since our families come from opposite ends of the globe. We felt it would be fair to both sides to hold our wedding in the middle.

We will be getting legally married at home before. So this will be a symbolic wedding ceremony. However, we really really want to take advange of the vacation and really celebrate big by going on a 13 night cruise. We haven't booked it yet or mentioned the idea to family. (the date is still more than 1.5 years away)

I know many people won't be able to come even if it was a short cruise but I certainly know there will be some who simply cannot afford the $ or have the time to travel for that length of time.

What do you all recommend? Should we still do it, even if our guest list is very minimal? What about hurt feelings of family members?

The hard part is, regardless if we had the wedding in my home country where my family lives, - his family would have to travel. And if we had it in his home country where his family lives, -then my family would have to travel. Hence the reason why we thought we'd be "fair" and choose a destination in the middle, while fulfilling our desire to cruise.

So what do you think? is a 13 day cruise too long for a wedding cruise?

I do think it is an awful lot of time and money to ask your friends and family to dedicate to your wedding. Perhaps a wedding in one of your home countries followed by a shorter cruise and ceremony from the other. Unless of course you know that both set of parents, siblings, and closest family can afford the time and expense. Best wishes to you and your fiancé.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with WineKnit and also think you'd probably have a better cruise experience if you aren't feeling responsible for making sure your invited guests are having fun. Leave the option of joining you on the cruise open to those who'd really, really like to go and feel good about spending the money, but see if there isn't a way to make the actual wedding accessible to more of your families. Congratulations and have a wonderful wedding, however you do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At first it seemed like a great idea, but as the time goes on, the anxiety comes along with it. We are booked on a cruise for 2018 and we invited all of our wedding guest to cruise with us for 11 days. The choice was made because we needed a cruise that would depart locally and our only choices were 10 or 11 day cruises. We are not getting married aboard the ship, were getting married on St. Thomas through an Island coordinator. We are happy with our decision but we also said to ourselves, that we needed to be understanding to those whom will not be able to make it for multiple reasons. The truth is regardless where you have your wedding (unless you live in the same town as your relatives) you will be traveling, might as well make it memorable. Weddings are an expense for everyone. You should definitely cater to those you want there the most. My parents don't fly, so for me it was out of the question to have a wedding that required flying. I have a lot of family that is planning to fly to St. Thomas, because either they can't take off two weeks from work, or they don't like cruising (mind you they have never been on a cruise), or for many different reasons. As the time gets closer (haha I know I have a year and 3 months to go) I do worry about keeping my guests happy or entertained throughout the length of the cruise and question will be spending enough time with them. On our wedding website we did mention that we are only asking for one day, our wedding day and that they should treat the rest of the cruise as their own personal vacation. I think a long cruise is fine you just have to prepare yourselves for family and friends declining to attend.