Solo Travelle, Celebration.

I can't comment on any of the Thomson cruises. I have had a few on my own recently and had an amazing time (don't tell anyone, but more fun on my own) :D

You get to meet loads of nice people and can do what ever you want when you want. I hope you have a great time.

As no solo travelers have replied I will give you my observations, firstly IMO you have chosen a great ship we have noted and spoken to solo travelers many times and they all appeared to be having a great time they have meet & greets and can mix or not with similar cruisers I think you will have a great time.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

As no solo travelers have replied I will give you my observations, firstly IMO you have chosen a great ship we have noted and spoken to solo travelers many times and they all appeared to be having a great time they have meet & greets and can mix or not with similar cruisers I think you will have a great time.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

I agree with you 100%. As a solo traveller I have had a brilliant time. I'm sure Thomson will be great.

My mum has just gone into a nursing home and for the 1st time in years my dad can come on holiday with us..... all searches on Thomson for next year say no solo cabins available..... how on earth do you book for a couple and solo... beating me ?....

Try your local Thomson travel agent. They will, hopefully, be able to help.

My mum has just gone into a nursing home and for the 1st time in years my dad can come on holiday with us..... all searches on Thomson for next year say no solo cabins available..... how on earth do you book for a couple and solo... beating me ?....

Just noticed. You have been on OV1 and Ov2. I lived both of these ships and was heart broken when the went to Australia and I had to go on proper P&O ships. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, first cruise as a Solo Traveller on the Celebration, 13th March 2017.

A bit apprehensive, cabin 732 on deck 2.

Anyone any experience of being a solo traveller on the Celebration?

Hi, I haven't been on the Celebration, but have been on a few of the other Thomson ships as a solo traveller.

I've always had a great time. There are solo events, announced in the daily events paper, usually a get together on the first sea day, which always clashes with something else I want to do so I don't often go to that. They also usually have a solos dinner and if it's early enough in the week you can choose to meet up with the others for dinner later on. Alternatively I just turn up to the restaurant and asked to be seated with a mixed group. Couples are just as much fun to talk to and I have often been "adopted" 😀. On my first solo cruise I went to the buffet and ate on my own every night. A few cruises later I had fixed seating, so went to the main dining room & discovered the joys of multi-course meals & that's all I ever go for now, the food is one of the best bits of cruising for me!

I've also met people on trips, or even just sat in the theatre for the shows. If you go with the attitude that you'll talk to anyone you tend to find people are glad to have someone different to talk to as well.

The entertainment is the other good bit of cruising, there's always something to do. I've been on other cruise lines, but I think the Thomson show teams are the best - maybe just my opinion, but I've already booked on the Tui Discovery 2 for this summer as I found the entertainment on the ship I was on last year disappointing in comparison.

Hope you have a brilliant time!

I've not been on Celebration yet (going on it in June though) but have been on Spirit twice as a solo traveller.

First time was quite apprehensive but met lovely people, even just sitting in the port waiting to board I met a nice family who I saw a few more times throughout the cruise, also had an older couple take me under their wing which was really nice. Again I saw them a few more times. Best thing I did though was went to the solo traveller's meetings. As has been said they're advertised in the ship's newsletter and depending on how long you go for there'll be a few. Two weeks is usually a couple of breakfasts, dinners, drinks. Met some fantastic people who I'd meet in the evenings for drinks and the entertainment.

Second time I actually met up with people from this forum, check the Roll Calls forum to see if anyone's posted a thread for meeting up, if not, post one yourself. We met up for drinks and everyone was great, a lot more folk turned up than I expected! Again I went to the solo's meet ups, I even randomly bumped in to a couple I'd met from the first cruise on the second!

Eating in the main dining area is probably a better bet for meeting people than the buffet, as that's very much a sit-where-you-want affair rather than being seated with different people. Easy enough to get talking to people as the easy openers are asking if they've cruised before and what trips everyone's doing.

As an aside, I'd be really interested to know how you got on with the cabin (pictures would be wonderful!) as I'll be on Deck 2 for my cruise too.

Colleague of my husband who has cruised several times with Thomson and was on the re-positioning cruise to Dubai recently said he was very disappointed that there was only one meet up for solos on this two week cruise. He also said the entertainment was lacking on the six days at sea and cut backs were very noticeable throughout the ship. Staff although polite and doing their best had no time to interact with guests due to shortages and a few looked really unhappy, which is unusual for Thomson's crew.

Having paid a lot for his cruise due to the single supplement he expected a bit more in the way of lunches, dinners etc. as is the norm for solo guests on board.

Have a lovely time. Please let us know how you get on.

We were just wondering if the recent cruise which had only one meet up for solo passengers on a two week cruise was a one off or was another one of Thomson's cost cutting exercises.

Anyway I am sure you will meet some lovely people and have a great time.

Have a lovely time. Please let us know how you get on.

We were just wondering if the recent cruise which had only one meet up for solo passengers on a two week cruise was a one off or was another one of Thomson's cost cutting exercises.

Anyway I am sure you will meet some lovely people and have a great time.

It had better not be a cost saving exercise. The solo cruiser 'social programme' is what distinguishes Thomson from P&O. On P&O it is little more than a lot of old ladies sitting gossiping on sea days. The programme on Discovery last July was excellent. Coffee on sea days, hosted lunches, hosted dinners, pre dinner cocktails and the best seats reserved in the theatre.