Penalty for leaving the ship early

julierika

Friends booked a four night on Monarch of the Seas to Baja last week. They boarded Monday and set sail for their first port - San Diego. Tuesday morning it became necessary for them to disembark, due to business reasons. They were told that if they stayed onboard until Thursday and "jumped ship" in Ensenada there would be no charge. But they couldn't wait that long. So they had to pay $300 each to leave on Tuesday in San Diego.

They were told it was relevant to customs, which didn't make sense to them since they hadn't yet left the country. They suggested to me that it was a "scam". I told them that, after many cruises with RCI, I know that they are reputable and honest. There must be some law/rule I am not familiar with that dictated that they must pay this fee/penalty.

I am hoping my fellow CC readers can enlighten me as to what and why, then I can inform my friends and ease their upset. Thank you!

Your friends violated the Passenger Vessel Services Act, often called the Jones Act, which forbids foreign-flagged vessels transporting passengers between US ports. The fine for each violation is $300. It is a ridiculous and out-dated law that puts a lot of unnecessary restrictions on cruise vessels.

By leaving in San Diego, your friends were transported between US cities without stopping at a foreign port, which is forbidden by the PSA for foreign-flagged vessels. Had they disembarked in Ensenada, they would not have had that problem, although they might have had to pay a small fee ($35 or so) for doing so.

By leaving in San Diego, your friends were transported between US cities without stopping at a foreign port, which is forbidden by the PSA for foreign-flagged vessels. Had they disembarked in Ensenada, they would not have had that problem, although they might have had to pay a small fee ($35 or so) for doing so.

They probably were in international waters at some point, although I'm not sure that is relevant.

I understand the outdated Jones act, however if you carry your luggage off the ship they cannot physically stop you from disembarking with your seapass card.....or would they try? Would the $300 just be added to your seapass accounr when you didnt reboard? What if you missed the ship by accident? :confused:

I understand the outdated Jones act, however if you carry your luggage off the ship they cannot physically stop you from disembarking with your seapass card.....or would they try? Would the $300 just be added to your seapass accounr when you didnt reboard? What if you missed the ship by accident? :confused:

Yes the cruise line would charge you for that even if you miss the ship by accident. The cruise line has to pay the fine and they will force you to reimburse them for it.

Also, keep in mind that the fine is not levied by the cruise line's choice or at their discretion. They are merely following federal regulations. Nor do they get to keep the money. It's a fine imposed by the federal government.

Archived