Electrical adapters

JJean

I did a quick web search on Argentine electrical adapters. Answer is you can probably get away with a strd euro 2-prong. Ditto Chile. That matches my recollection of what we found. But there are always two fall backs. Any good hotel desk will have loaner adapters. And they can tell you which nearby street market has people selling adapters. So this isn't an issue you need to stress about. (It is an issue I do stress about, even though I know it is no big deal. Do as I say, not as I do.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Both Chile and Argentina use 220-240 Volt, 50 cycle, power (vs. 110 V, 60 cycle in North America). Of course, many (not all) devices can operate on either without needing a converter.

In Chile, I believe we encountered mainly plugs with "two round pins", as in Europe. Some may have a third round pin (ground) mid-way between the other two.

In Argentina, we encountered predominantly the outlets and plugs with two blades at an angle to one another -- the same as in Australia or New Zealand or (I understand) China. Grounded plugs have a 3rd blade at an "intermediate" angle. European-type 2-prong plugs may also be present, but my recollection is that the "Australian" angled-style were the common ones in Argentina.

This is a useful source for these and other countries:

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plug-voltage-by-country/

John

Edited by J-D