Carnival Fantasy Dec. 8 mini review

bamagirl16

We returned yesterday from our 4 day cruise out of Mobile on the Fantasy. It was Thursday through Monday. We had a great time and I thought I would share some of my thoughts. This trip was just my mom and me.

We are from Birmingham so Mobile is about a 4-5 hour drive depending on traffic and how many times we stop. We stopped a few so it took us a little longer. We had selected 12:30 to 1:00 as our check in time. After dropping off our luggage and getting parked and all of that taken care of we were still 30minutes early. We were going to just wait outside but were told we could in fact enter the terminal. There were lines but they moved at a steady pace. We were on the ship by 12:30. Rooms were not ready so we just found somewhere to sit on deck 9 and had a drink while we waited. So check in was painless. Just a note for anyone who sets up a cash account....on this ship I had to set mine up once we were on board and not at check in. I just went to the kiosk on deck 9 once we boarded and I had it set up within 5 minutes.

Our room was on the Verandah deck. I loved our room location except for the hallway ceiling speaker right outside our door. The music starts early!!! Marvin was our room steward and he was great. We received twice a day service. We were not given a card or asked if we wanted it any other way.

The food on this trip ranged from just ok to really good. I had the blue crab ravioli on elegant night and while it wasn't bad it was just....ok. And the buffet food was ok except for the excellent jerk chicken I had one day. Everything else was really good. We had Guy's burgers, burritos from Blue Igauna, Sea Day brunch on the 2 sea days, and main dining room at dinner. We had anytime dining and normally went between 6:30 and 7:00. Our longest wait was 5 minutes on elegant night. Elegant night was also the night that took the longest to eat at about an hour and a half. The other nights took about an hour.

We spent most of our time during the day relaxing and reading our books around the ship and outside. We did go to trivia a few times and also went to the ladies pamper party at the spa. We saw both the Brits and Motor City shows and enjoyed them. We never made it to any comedy shows despite our best intentions.

In Cozumel, we took a taxi to Paradise Beach for a few hours. It was very nice and I am looking forward to taking my teenage boys back in March. We then got a taxi downtown and did some shopping before going back to the port and having a margarita before boarding the ship.

The worst part of this cruise was debarkation. And not just because we had to leave! There were some issues getting the gangway attached to the ship so it delayed everything. We were zone 1 and did not get off the ship until 10:15. But if I only have a complaint about the end of the trip that must be pretty good.

We really enjoyed this cruise. I was nervous because it was a 4 day and have heard the party boat reputation. So either it really wasn't that bad or I just missed those things. We are looking forward to our 5 day cruise in March with the whole family.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the mini review. Also appreciate everyone else's comments about Fantasy. So many negative reviews out there, glad to hear someone enjoyed themselves. Been on over 55 cruises and none of them are that bad:)

Not expecting luxury, but also didn't pay luxury price for this cruise.

What was the ladies pamper party like? That sounds interesting for our trip next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Basically it was a mini-facial and mini makeover. It is free but you do have to sign up for it in advance because they only have something like 30 spots. We didn't know we had to sign up when we went for the one on the 1st sea day but we were able to then sign up for the 2nd one. It lasts about an hour. They talk about skin care and of course their skin care products. They are trying to sell their products but they were not pushy about it at all. They did offer special pricing on the products for those who attended. They also offered discounts on other selected spa services. It was fun and I did like that they did not put pressure on you to buy anything.

Thanks for the mini review. Also appreciate everyone else's comments about Fantasy. So many negative reviews out there, glad to hear someone enjoyed themselves. Been on over 55 cruises and none of them are that bad:)

Not expecting luxury, but also didn't pay luxury price for this cruise.

I have been worried about going back on the Fantasy, because it seems like a lot of negative reviews lately. This will be our 3rd time on the Fantasy. I noticed we are going on the same one with y'all. You need to join our Roll Call.

hope we have good weather in February. :) We plan to go with a positive attitude and make the best of it.

• 2 months later...

I'm wondering if Fantasy is having thruster problems. I watched it back down the river today and turn in the lower basin with tug assist. Usually they go to the upper basin to turn and then come back down to the terminal. It was unusual. Might be nothing.