Things to do near the port?

moonieelf

I'll be visiting Tortola for the first time in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for something near to the pier to do. Maybe a little shopping? Is it anything like Nassau where everything is pretty much right there? I don't want to book an excursion through my cruise line (they only have a few and none of them are in my budget or are something I want to do.) I'm really low key. Local museums and culture are more my speed.

Thanks!

There's a botanical garden and some churches a 15 - 30 min walk from the pier, and some nice small shops near the port. Tortola is known for her gorgeous beaches, lush vegetation, and panoramic hilltop views. Consider an island tour as part of your visit? Drivers at the dock offer a variety of tours - some with beach stops - at very reasonable prices.

Wanted to add that these are group tours, private tours are a little more expensive. You'll find several ideas in other threads here, but most involve a taxi and a ferry. Beaches are just an $8 taxi each way, Brewers Bay would be the least busy for you.

Road Town itself is mostly a financial district. But the people of Tortola are wonderful, so if you spend time around the port and enjoy meeting people you'll see that.

Edited by blue_water