Misbehavior in Steakhouse

A&Jfamily

We think Carnival has the best Steakhouse at Sea. We try to have at least one meal there.

We have been dining when a large family group had small children who cried, older ones who wandered around..........

I am a granny. My grandchild cruises with us once a year. She is Six. Well behaved. Very bright. We will take her when she is twelve or so. Taught school for decades. Do not think children under 12 should get special rates so more small children will come. Small Children cannot sit that long. Their attention spans are too short.

People pay good money to eat there. it is or was an adult dining experience. Wait times can be long. I know I will get flamed but it seems The FEW get all of the breaks and the MANY get flamed.

When a couple on their honey moon has shelled out money for a fine dinner, a bottle or two of wine.........they have to sit there and listen to a sleepy toddler wail? No. I don't agree,

Very well said!

I'm pretty positive my daughter who is now 6 would be perfectly fine as long she is enjoying the meal. We have taken her to nicer places since she was small and she is always taught that she is to be respectful of the others around her. Now if she is there and others are acting out then all bets are off and we wouldn't take a large group filled with kids to a gathering like that. On our last cruise we did a family cruise and there were 4 kids aged 13 down to 5 at the time and in the main dining room ALL of them behaved perfectly.

I think it's in what the parents allow and how they act. I've seen grown adults in the steak house and other nice places I think should be ashamed of themselves and have seen children that had I not seen them I would have never known they were there.

It really is about knowing your kid. My husband and I were planning on going to the steakhouse for my 30th birthday and having a family member (cruised with my parents and grandparents as well) watch our 16 month old. Everyone else decided they wanted to celebrate with us so we decided to bring her along. She's been in restaurants before and been well behaved (and quiet!) but this was going to be longer than normal so we agreed that at the first sign of crankiness one of us would leave with her. We booked the earliest time available and she was very well behaved. Right before it was time to order dessert she threw the napkin she'd been holding on the ground and we had her out of there before she could make a sound.

We have another cruise booked for august and she will be 2. Will we be taking her to the steakhouse again? No...because I know my kid and unless some miracle happens I don't think she'd be able to sit as quiet and content as she did just a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a child that is 12 years old, misbehaves in a restaurant, any restaurant, than it's not the child's fault but the parents. They either did not teach their kids how to behave, or in some cases, the child has some unique issues that the parent should have decided to eat in a more appropriate place. Either way, it's the parents that fail when a preteen/teen misbehaves.

If a child that is 12 years old, misbehaves in a restaurant, any restaurant, than it's not the child's fault but the parents. They either did not teach their kids how to behave, or in some cases, the child has some unique issues that the parent should have decided to eat in a more appropriate place. Either way, it's the parents that fail when a preteen/teen misbehaves.

Same could really be said for any age group child. It isn't on the child, its on the parents....If you have a fussy 5 yr old, what would possess parents to bring him into the Steakhouse? Lets cut to the chase, the parents know he will be fussy and possibly whiney but basically don't care. They want to enjoy the steakhouse and they are making a tradeoff in their mind that they can hopefully get thru the meal without to much disturbance. There is a condition for that, its called SELFISH. they justify with the behavior with "I paid my $$$$ so I am ENTITLED". I have seen young children in Steakhouses behaving absolutely perfectly. It depends on the childs makeup. Most people, after spending $80 (adults $35, child $10), aren't going to walk away from that to spare other diners....That is also SELFISH

Edited by First and Ten

There was a pretty heated thread about 6 months back discussing the new $10 kids menu in the Steakhouse. A lot of people indicated that they would no longer enjoy a meal there. Our boys are now 18 and 12 (he will be 13 in March) and we have decided that on the last night of the cruise we will all enjoy the Steakhouse. I for one am happy to see this menu because we are working on broadening his palette, but at 12, he cannot handle the sheer volume of food from the steakhouse and will enjoy the smaller 4 oz filet, while still being able to sample from the rest of us.

Go ahead and flame me if you like for taking my almost teen - but I am confident he is mature enough. What I really want to know if anyone has been and can report bad behavior of kids, in light of this new menu. I have seen first hand the poor behavior of adults in what "should" be a quiet, refined and relaxed atmosphere.

It was interesting to read the rabid responses of some people to a child's menu being introduced.

Children had always been allowed in the steak house. It was never an adult's only deal.

What is even more interesting is watching someone post a thread baiting people with a non existent question and the responses they get.

Children had always been allowed in the steak house. It was never an adult's only deal.

I don't think any reasonable person is disputing that children are allowed in the Steakhouse. They have always been. The frustrating part is with the new "childrens" menu, they seem to be encouraging children. When it was a blanket $35 a head, people would think twice about dropping $35 for their snowflake to take a bite and leave the rest. When its $10, that's an easier choice if you were on the fence about spending money for a night out....Don't get me wrong, that is Carnivals right. Its their ship, their rules. I always thought the Steakhouses were a more refined dining experience than the MDR and by encouraging children, they seem to be promoting a more "Chuckie Cheese" environment....disappointing, but again, their ship, their rules

Edited by First and Ten

I think the distress that some members here were voicing was about toddlers and preschoolers. There is no way I'd bring by 2 and 4 year old with me to the steakhouse, but if I had a well behaved bigger kid I might consider it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Too many posters on this board like to make up rules that don't exist (no kids in the steakhouse) and then flout rules that do (no smuggling alcohol, restricted smoking, etc.). Ignore them.

You could put this part of your post on just about every thread in this forum! I love this site and all of the information I get from it. I just get a bit tired of all of the holier than thou posters that feel their point of view is the only one that matters.

I don't think any reasonable person is disputing that children are allowed in the Steakhouse. They have always been. The frustrating part is with the new "childrens" menu, they seem to be encouraging children. When it was a blanket $35 a head, people would think twice about dropping $35 for their snowflake to take a bite and leave the rest. When its $10, that's an easier choice if you were on the fence about spending money for a night out....Don't get me wrong, that is Carnivals right. Its their ship, their rules. I always thought the Steakhouses were a more refined dining experience than the MDR and by encouraging children, they seem to be promoting a more "Chuckie Cheese" environment....disappointing, but again, their ship, their rules

And dumbing down the menu to chicken nuggies and hot dogs.