Booking cruise without a name

taylor1293

We are planning to book a cruise for our daughters graduation in May 2018. She is allowed to bring a friend, however, she doesn't know which friend yet (since it is so far away). In addition, she will still be 17 when we sail. Any suggestions on how to book the two cabins? Will they even let us book if we don't know the name of the undecided person yet? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. I wasn't sure if a friend would accompany me or if I would be going solo. The PCC booked me as both the first and second passenger in the cabin. As things turned out, my friend wasn't able to come. One of me showed up and the other of me was a no show. ;)

As long as you change passenger number 2 to the actual friend before NCL's deadline for changing a name on a booking this technique should work. The name change deadline seems to be the same as the cancellation deadline according to this page on NCL's web site: https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

I usually travel solo and have decided to bring a friend with me on my Alaska cruise in June. I contacted my TA and told her I might be adding another person to my booking. She said she would need legal name and her age. When my friend confirmed she'll be able to come with me, I called and added her. There are no hoops to jump through--just add the friend to the booking when she decides. Be sure to check with your TA or NCL to find out if there's a deadline for doing that.

I think the bigger issues is booking the two teens in a room by themselves if that's your plan. I've seen posts where people have talked about doing it, but my kids are grown so I haven't paid enough attention to tell you with any level of confidence if it's doable.

We are planning to book a cruise for our daughters graduation in May 2018. She is allowed to bring a friend, however, she doesn't know which friend yet (since it is so far away). In addition, she will still be 17 when we sail. Any suggestions on how to book the two cabins? Will they even let us book if we don't know the name of the undecided person yet? Thanks!

Regarding the teenagers sailing, I do not believe anyone under the age of 21 is permitted to be in a cabin unless accompanied by an adult. If the cabins are connected, this may be ok but you need to check with cruise line. I would not rely on TA. Best to go straight to the cruise line.

The only way you could possibly get around this is to register an adult and a teen in each cabin, then once you get on board, switch. As a mom, the only way I would agree to do this is if the teens were in an adjoining cabin. Of course a bigger cabin to accommodate all would solve the problem but not afford you the privacy you would need.

Hope it works out.

GGBOXERS

You have to book with an adult in each room. Once you are on board who sleeps in what room is up to you! As for the no name. You can just book with the name of the person she is thinking of taking now. You can change the name once you know for sure. I do believe you have to have all final names in by final payment which is 90 days out from your cruise.

I've never booked without a name but twice I've done a booking with a name but sans birthday. (Once for the nanny whose birthday I did not know, and once for my daughter, who was not yet born but had a first and last name already known!)

When I booked the cruise for my daughter (probably I was about 36 weeks pregnant) and the TA asked for her birthday, I replied "I don't know." I could feel her confusion and puzzled look over the phone. I then explained that she wasn't yet born and I would be sure to call her with the birthday just shortly after letting our friends and family know :) We had a good laugh and she is still my TA 6 years later.

There are no hoops to jump through--just add the friend to the booking when she decides. Be sure to check with your TA or NCL to find out if there's a deadline for doing that.

No, no, no. Waiting until confirmation is the worst mistake one could make in this situation.

One should book John/Jane Doe right from the beginning in order to secure the place in lifeboat because if there are a lot of groups (families etc) with more than two persons in a cabin in that muster group, eventually one can't add extra persons closer to the cruise even if there were available beds in the cabin.

No, no, no. Waiting until confirmation is the worst mistake one could make in this situation.

One should book John/Jane Doe right from the beginning in order to secure the place in lifeboat because if there are a lot of groups (families etc) with more than two persons in a cabin in that muster group, eventually one can't add extra persons closer to the cruise even if there were available beds in the cabin.

It depends on when the friend confirms. In my case, she got back to me within a couple weeks and we were still 8 months out. OP's cruise isn't until 2018, I doubt lifeboats are anywhere near capacity at this point!

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Thank you everyone for your responses! I believe I have a lot to think about. Booking an adult in each cabin wouldn't be a big deal except when picking the "free" offers. What I would choose for them is different than what I would choose for myself and my husband.