Monster Jeep Tour Review (Pics and Vid!) - Cozumel

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to provide a small review about an excursion we did a few weeks ago in Cozumel.

Quick rundown of what happened:

1) 50 min-1hour drive from the port, into the city, through the jungle and along the coastline to a small Mayan Ruin

2) Stayed at the Mayan Ruin for about 30 minutes then off to a short trip to a private beach for taco lunch

3) Beach stay was about 1.5 hrs then climb into the Jeeps for the trip home

It was an excellent tour and well priced. The Jeeps we were able to drive were 4 door Wranglers, with 33-35" tires and a couple more cool mods.

There were 4 in total with 4 people per Jeep.

This is the one we had:

1.JPG

Drove about 50 minutes through the city. Forgive my horrendous farmer's tan :) Tried to fix it this trip but failed miserably lol.

2.JPG

The city drive was pretty cool. Got to see their city life and how they live. A lot of mopeds and motorcycles with a family of 3-4 on them.

Blasting through the jungle and over a few obstacles (excuse my quick and dirty editing skills lol):

Finally arrived at the Small Mayan Ruin:

3.JPG

5.JPG

4.JPG

Chilled here for a bit to take pics and listen to our guides Jesus and Angel tell Cozumel history.

Edited by MayorAdamWest

Hopped into our Jeeps and drove about 5-10 minutes to the beach.

6.JPG

First off I have to say, this beach was incredible. Only a handful of us for a beach that went on. It was perfect!

7.JPG

8.JPG

Freshly grilled tacos made for us right on the beach with all the trimmings:

9.JPG

Stayed for roughly 1.5 hours then drove back for an hour to the port.

Freedom of the Seas being fancy with the reversed parking :)

10.JPG

Hope everyone enjoyed this post! Definitely one of the best excursions we've done. I am now looking to purchase a Jeep lol.

Dang, That looks like fun. We'll be in Cozumel in August on the Equinox, I'll have to see if Celebrity offers it.

Definitely take a look!

Was this a private tour or through the ship?

This was through the ship. There's a possibility you could book directly with the company, I think the name was GoExplora.

is this something an 8 and 6 year old would enjoy?

Yes definitely. The holes and pits we had to drive through felt like a roller coaster. You have to hold on tight so you don't fly sideways into the window. The back seat is where its the most fun.

You get a great ab/core workout from stabilizing yourself!

Did each couple gets jeep or were you paired up with another couple? If so, how did you decide who drove...

It was 4 per Jeep. I drove going there and the husband of the couple that was with us drove back since the wives didn't really care.

Deciding on who to drive between husband and wife is another story :)

Hmm not sure why the video isn't embedding..

Here's the link!

The Jeeps look to be in good condition, were they?

We did a similar dune buggy cruise in Costa Maya and those vehicles were held together with chewing gum and duct tape.

The Jeeps look to be in good condition, were they?

We did a similar dune buggy cruise in Costa Maya and those vehicles were held together with chewing gum and duct tape.

They were in great condition for the beating that they get. One of the Jeeps had over 600,000kms and looked/drove mint!

We booked this for our January cruise. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, photos and video. There hasn't been much info available on this excursion.

Glad you had a great time!

Hope you guys have as much fun as we did. I, too tried to look for information about this excursion before I booked it but my results came up zero.

Now everyone has some info :)

Edited by MayorAdamWest

One other thing - in the description on RCCL's site, it does not state that the transmissions are standard like it does for many of the dune buggy and other jeep excursions. I emailed RCCL's shore excursions department for clarification, and they said there are both standard AND automatic transmission jeeps available.

One other thing - in the description on RCCL's site, it does not state that the transmissions are standard like it does for many of the dune buggy and other jeep excursions. I emailed RCCL's shore excursions department for clarification, and they said there are both standard AND automatic transmission jeeps available.

Good point! All 4 of our Jeeps were automatic.

I'm sure they could go grab a manual car if the request was made. They took us to a parking lot full of Jeeps.

Edited by MayorAdamWest