Australian Cruisers - upgrade after final payment?

BekkaW

Hello fellow Aussie cruisers

We're booked on a 10nifht Voyager cruise this coming March, with final payment due this weekend. They've put it on cake this week and JSs have come down, but it's still $900 more than our balcony and I'm probably not prepared to pay that.

I'm thinking they may come down after final payment as there are still quite a few left.

Has anyone upgraded after final payment, and if yes did you just pay the difference or was it a cancellation with penalty? I know you can just pay the difference in the US but unsure if they would allow it here. Hopping someone with experience can assist!

Many thanks

In Australia if you booked with a local TA or even with RCI direct I believe you would be forced to cancel and rebook at whatever the current rate is losing whatever benefits such as OBC that you may have had included in your original reservation.

Terribly inflexible rules we have here in OZ.

In Australia if you booked with a local TA or even with RCI direct I believe you would be forced to cancel and rebook at whatever the current rate is losing whatever benefits such as OBC that you may have had included in your original reservation.

Terribly inflexible rules we have here in OZ.

It's with RCI direct but yes that's what I'm worried about, so keen to hear from someone who has done it what their experience was.

It's all about Australian Consumer laws- so inflexible here

Nothing to do with that. Consumer laws don't say a business has to make you cancel, or that you can't make amendments.

In fact, the name is a giveaway- "Consumer" - they're laws to make things better for the consumer. Whereas these policies are purely business beneficial. Which the business is entitled to do as they put in their terms. But it comes from the business decision.

I've asked RCI a few times and they have always told me the only way to upgrade is to cancel and rebook. In all cases, it was not worth it as I would lose the deposits paid (or whatever percentage of the fare depending on how close it was to the departure date). I would lose all the OBC from the original booking.