Families At Christmas

kitty9

TreasureB: I can understand why children would enjoy a Tahiti cruise but, IMO, not all cruises offer as much "fun" time.

When someone compares unruly adults to having children on board I truly do not understand it. If an adult becomes unruly, they can be dealt with by the crew onboard - some are sent to their cabin to sleep it off if they have imbibed too much - if they are rude to other guests or the crew, they can be put ashore at the next port stop. If a child is running around and disturbing others, their parents/grandparents go ballistic if their children are reprimanded in any way.

My concern about your post is twofold: 1) You make it clear that you do not care about fellow passengers; and 2) I would worry about any child that can "insist" that they sail on a particular cruise line. This is setting them up for some huge disappointments in their lives.

Wow.

If you dial down the drama for one moment you might realize how ridiculous that statement is.

In fact, that statement is more childish than what I hear from my 8 year old niece.

Wow.

If you dial down the drama for one moment you might realize how ridiculous that statement is.

In fact, that statement is more childish than what I hear from my 8 year old niece.

I was responding (in kind) to the comment made by TreasureB that could also have come out of the mouth of an 8 year old "Unless you plan to buy up all the cabins, I will continue to bring my grandchildren on Oceania cruises."

Again, I do find it sad that the majority of cruise lines have facilities for children yet a handful of people have to pick a cruise line without those facilities and with passengers that prefer adult company. IMO, this is selfish from two perspectives: 1) Most children would enjoy larger cruise ships with more things for them to do and more children their age to interact with; and 2) posters on all luxury boards indicate that they prefer not sailing with children".

There is no drama here - only a sincere desire for passengers to be able to enjoy an "almost" adults only environment for a few days.

Edited by Travelcat2

Sounds to me like there are plenty of children who would be more companionable, less selfish, and far more enjoyable than some adults.

-If you believe that, then you should have them over to your house for some glorious companionship- :rolleyes:

Adults don't do enough of that

-which is why so many kids are chronically available for cruising!

-If you believe that, then you should have them over to your house for some glorious companionship- :rolleyes:

Adults don't do enough of that

-which is why so many kids are chronically available for cruising!

I do.

I judge people as individuals and I try not to stereotype by assuming that everyone in a particular demographic is the same.

Crazy, I know, but it works for me.

I do.

I judge people as individuals and I try not to stereotype by assuming that everyone in a particular demographic is the same.

Crazy, I know, but it works for me.

Interesting, because I've seldom met a child, let alone a toddler, who wasn't a self centered jerk at heart-

Get me water, get me food, lift me up, help me cross the street, what does poison mean? ; It's a never ending litany of "me me me".

We have seen perhaps a half-dozen children (say, 10-16) on our three O cruises. Were they well-behaved? Very. Were they having fun? Could not tell, though they seemed happy enough playing golf and ping-pong. These were all transatlantics, when there are very few ports to offer diversions, and I did feel their parents could have offered a more kid-appropriate vacation.

My point is that well-behaved children are welcome, but not best served on this line. And--like adults--if any start being truly disruptive, they will be subjected to my famous Raised Eyebrow of Disapproval. (My own kids could tell you how effective that is.:cool:) If that doesn't work, I will complain to the staff.

Interesting, because I've seldom met a child, let alone a toddler, who wasn't a self centered jerk at heart-

Get me water, get me food, lift me up, help me cross the street, what does poison mean? ; It's a never ending litany of "me me me".

+1 - but don't expect most parents to understand

Debbers: We have also seen children that were well behaved on ships but it only takes one family to ruin the vacation for others (running through dining rooms, screeching, monopolizing the dance floor late at night with their antics that their parents think is cute, etc.). Oceania seems to be doing better than their sister company in terms of keeping families to a minimum - Regent had 50 children on one of their Christmas cruises. People had to be asked to be reseated when they were seated next to one of the not so well behaved families with children.

Edited by Travelcat2