Western Caribbean Shore Excursions

Hollr

Hi All!

This will be mine and my husband's first cruise. I've been trying to research shore excursions. NCL's excursions seem so pricey. I just wanted to know my options out there.

I think on Roatan, we will look into the Victor Bodden's tours. I've read good stuff about them anyway, unless any of you can steer me differently.

We may just relax on the beach chairs at Harvest Caye.

That's leaves us with Cozumel and Costa Maya as completely undecided. I'm thinking of just enjoying the beaches on Cozumel, but I'm unsure of what is available to relax with restaurants/drinks nearby. I'd love to see some history at Costa Maya. Can anyone recommend some tour companies for me?

Thanks!

Check out TripAdvisor. Choose things to do for the city you want and there are tons of options to choose from. The reviews give you a lot of good info. We booked 2 independent excursions last year with companies we found on TA. Both were great and much cheaper than the cruise line.

When we were in Cozumel, we booked Fury Catamaran through NCL, and they were fantastic. It was organized and well-run, the staff was wonderful, and it really packed a lot in - catamran, snorkeling, beach time. I highly recommend it. My dd LOVED their private beach with all the water toys (slides, etc.).

In Costa Maya we went to Maya Chan, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. You won't get any history/culture there, but it was the most relaxing day every. It's an all inclusive and the staff takes such great care of everybody.

I second Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. The best beach we've found there because they limit the number of people they admit. You need to book online before you go (google, you'll find it). They'll take a deposit and you pay the remainder when you get there. Carlos is the best waiter!

In Costa Maya we usually just either grab a taxi or take the bus down to Mahajual and hang out on the beach. You can get free beach chairs if you buy food and drink from the restaurant/bar that owns them. Find the place you want (we like Faro) and plop down, they'll find you. Taxi back to the port when you're ready, taxis are easy to find. It's only a few minutes drive, you can see the ship from the beach.

Glad I came up on your question. It's our first Western itinerary for us next summer so this will be all new territory for us. I have our cabana booked for Harvest Caye. I think for Honduras we are planning Maya Key Private Island retreat through NCL. I am up in arms on what to do for Costa Maya and Cozumel. I've seen many people recommend the ones mentioned here to. Thinking very highly of Maya Chan Beach. It looks like so much fun and I have seen others trip reports and the pics from there. Cozumel I have no clue!! lol....there will be 4 other ships in port that day with us. So I'm hoping to come up with something soon.

My favorite excursion in Cozumel is the Cozumel Bar Hop. It takes you to the "other side" of Cozumel where there is no electricity. You stop at at least 4 fantastic beach bars. It is really amazing and super fun! We have not gone to Costa Maya yet. We will be there in a couple weeks & have booked the Mayan experience tour through the Native Choice. I'll try to remember to report back about it when we get back in early February. The reviews for the tour are very high on trip advisor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Seatbelt_Bag_LOVE

We do something different everytime we go to Cozumel. It is all very similar. The beaches are shelly and not fun to walk on but we always have great service and a great time whichever place we go. Our latest trip we took a cab to Mr Sanchos.

In Roatan go to Little French Key!!! We went last november and we loved it. It is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen! Check out their website.

In Costa Maya I suggest using Native Choice and see the mayan ruins. Its an easy walk to their office from the pier and it is way cheaper. I don't really like the port at Costa Maya, its my least favorite.

Hi All!

This will be mine and my husband's first cruise. I've been trying to research shore excursions. NCL's excursions seem so pricey. I just wanted to know my options out there.

I think on Roatan, we will look into the Victor Bodden's tours. I've read good stuff about them anyway, unless any of you can steer me differently.

We may just relax on the beach chairs at Harvest Caye.

That's leaves us with Cozumel and Costa Maya as completely undecided. I'm thinking of just enjoying the beaches on Cozumel, but I'm unsure of what is available to relax with restaurants/drinks nearby. I'd love to see some history at Costa Maya. Can anyone recommend some tour companies for me?

Thanks!

We just did all of these ports two weeks ago. We used Native Choice in Costa Maya to visit the Chacchoben Ruins, which was great. We hired a private driver from Victor Bodden in Roatan, which was also outstanding. As many others have said, Nachi Cocom in Cozumel is amazing; we've been twice now. If you follow my review linked in my signature I should have photos of all these places up in the not too distant future.

We just did all of these ports two weeks ago. We used Native Choice in Costa Maya to visit the Chacchoben Ruins, which was great. We hired a private driver from Victor Bodden in Roatan, which was also outstanding. As many others have said, Nachi Cocom in Cozumel is amazing; we've been twice now. If you follow my review linked in my signature I should have photos of all these places up in the not too distant future.

I'm already following your post. Good info for sure. I'll keep an eye out for pics!

Just returned from Dawn Western Caribbean today 12/30. I booked through NCL:

Costa Maya absolutely awesome ATV and beach club day. Ride is authentic and amazing. I was a first timer but others that did ATV in Jamaica said that one paled in comparison. The beach club was quite basic, but because of the age requirement for the ATV we ended up with an all adult beach excursion on Christmas Day.

Harvest Caye lots to choose from including spending nothing and have a beach day. I did the Mangrove boat excursion. We saw some pelicans, herons and had the chance to hold a star fish. However it poured and we got soaked and didn't see much else.

Roatan took my first zip lining excursion. Once again awesome and in the jungle as the ATV ride was. Strongly recommend this one, not the one at the pier.

Cozumel I went to the beach, Passion Island is beautiful, food good and friendly staff. Highlight was just laying in a hammock in the sea, amazing. Inflatables set up: rock wall, trampoline, etc. Massage priced high so I skipped, $45 for 30 minutes. Cheaper than ship, but more than Massage Envy at home.

Disclosure: solo passenger with $200 Shorex perk, spent a total of $140 for 4 excursions.

I have used local taxis to Atlantis or a local beach on my own. I generally book with NCL or walk on my own. I have never selected a 3rd party excursion.

When my family is with me I select a treat like the zipline or ATV, a moderate priced item like the boat ride and a free or cheap item. That gives us local experiences or exposure and a reasonable budget. Here's an example of how I used this strategy:

2015 Getaway Eastern: Tortola Baths, St Thomas local taxi for beach and Sky Ride passes, walked and shopped in Nassau. Seems like I did those three for a total.of $100- 120pp. We all pay Adult prices.

I hope that helps, especially on working with the NCL excursion pricing and budgeting.

Just keep in mind risk and flexibility if NCL changes times, pier or skips a port of you decide to book independently. We changed piers in Cozumel. It wasn't announced, we were just told we could walk off vs tendering as planned. An independent operator may or may not get that information and be able to adjust. Our NCL operator picked up the Dawn passengers then headed to the regular NCL pier to get the Epic passengers.

Edited by Nola26

We booked our next cruise just to visit Maya Chan while in Costa Maya - we loved it that much the last time we were there... hands down you wont get history while there but you will have the best most relaxing time with the best staff in the world.

We booked our next cruise just to visit Maya Chan while in Costa Maya - we loved it that much the last time we were there... hands down you wont get history while there but you will have the best most relaxing time with the best staff in the world.

I've seen so many raving reviews about Maya Chan, that I went ahead and made the reservation. I paid the deposit yesterday. [emoji4]

I'm only undecided in Cozumel at the moment. There are so many options there that it's hard to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Roatan we have done both Victor Bodden and Little French Key. VB was very good LFK was exceptional! Five minute boat ride to a private island. Lunch and two cocktails are provided.

Maya Chan in Costa Maya is also exceptional. It is run by expats from California. We have been there twice.

In Cozumel we have been to Tulum twice. The only place where Mayan ruins are on the Gulf of Mexico. Spectacular.

Jay