Tourist Tax Refund in Darwin port

Happy New Year!

Can anyone please tell me if there is a TRS counter at Darwin Port? We will be on the Ovation from Sydney and Darwin will be our last port in Australia. Since we wont need to check in at Darwin, will there be a TRS agent stationed there or can I only get refund from Sydney?

Happy New Year!

Can anyone please tell me if there is a TRS counter at Darwin Port? We will be on the Ovation from Sydney and Darwin will be our last port in Australia. Since we wont need to check in at Darwin, will there be a TRS agent stationed there or can I only get refund from Sydney?

I have never seen a TRS counter in the terminal. However, on one around Australia cruise where Darwin was our last port before we went to Indonesia, Customs officials came on board the ship in the late afternoon. I am aware of this because we bought an item that day in Darwin and were able to claim the tax refund. Check at the Passenger Services desk on board to see if the Customs officials are boarding and where and when you can see them. You will need to show them your passport, the item you purchased and the receipt for same.

Happy New Year!

You would do it in Sydney

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/18298/Cruise_Terminal_Info_sheet_Jan_2013_FINAL.pdf

TRS desk is available in both terminals on international cruises. TRS enables you to claim a refund for the Goods

and Services Tax (GST) and Wine Equalisation Tax (WET) that

you paid on goods you have purchased in Australia. You can

claim the TRS from Customs at embarkation after you have

checked in.

(both terminals refers to the old Barangaroo - now White Bay)

I have never seen a TRS counter in the terminal. However, on one around Australia cruise where Darwin was our last port before we went to Indonesia, Customs officials came on board the ship in the late afternoon. I am aware of this because we bought an item that day in Darwin and were able to claim the tax refund. Check at the Passenger Services desk on board to see if the Customs officials are boarding and where and when you can see them. You will need to show them your passport, the item you purchased and the receipt for same.

Thanks, thats great advice.

Happy New Year!

TRS is processed at the last port of call before leaving Australia and guest services can advise where and when that will happen. It will not be done in Sydney as this would obviously defeat the purpose and you could walk off the ship in Darwin with the goods without paying duty on them.