Packing for a 15 cruise?

Queen of Adventure

We are sailing the Amsterdam from San Diego to Hawai'i and back in just 27 days (Woohoo!:p ) This will be our first 15 night cruise, and our first cruise longer than 7 nights with traditional dining dress at dinner. I am wondering how many formal nights there will be, and would eagerly accept any and all tips on how to pack for this long of a cruise.

Thanks!

Regarding packing for a cruise, I guess I could re-post what's been written before. Lay out on your bed all the clothes you think you'll need and all the money you think you'll need. Now, put half the clothes away and go to the bank and get twice the money! (More truth than poetry to this one!)

I'm guessing you'll have three formal nights.

We are sailing the Amsterdam from San Diego to Hawai'i and back in just 27 days (Woohoo!:p ) This will be our first 15 night cruise, and our first cruise longer than 7 nights with traditional dining dress at dinner. I am wondering how many formal nights there will be, and would eagerly accept any and all tips on how to pack for this long of a cruise.

Thanks!

I'm boarding the Amsterdam in January for a 30-day cruise, and I've heard that we only have four formal nights.

Tips for packing are simple. Pack for a week or so and do laundry mid-cruise. Alternatively, you can have the ship do it for you and I believe the prices for simple laundry (no pressing or dry cleaning) are very reasonable.

No way am I gonna even attempt to pack for a 30-day cruise. As a solo traveler there would be no way for me to get that many suitcases to the airport and back anyway. Planning on doing or sending out laundry seems the only way to go.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Wow, I'm scratching my head over 15 nights... 30 nights might just take me over the top (though I'd certainly be willing to put it to the test:p )

I think doing laundry must be the ticket.. I just can't imagine packing a different outfit for every dinner like I do for a 7 night cruise;) Thanks for the tip.

Twice the money, eh? I guess I better bring triple then and be safe:)

We have always been on longer cruises of 14/17 days and our next one is 21 days and then the big one of 35 days.

We usually have 3 or 4 formal nights on this length cruise. I usually take a long black skirt and then have different tops to wear for the different nights, though on the 21 day cruise in January, I am going to take different formal wear.

We always send our laundry out. Usually for this length of cruise it is around $90 for as much as you like each day. If it is not published in the daily news I go to the front desk on the first day and ask about the laundry specials. It comes back beautifully pressed and is well worth it though I wouldn't send out any silk or fine materials. I would do definitely do that myself.

I do a lot of mixing and matching and find I do not wear the same look twice. I only bring one large Samonsite Oyster case as we are very conscious of the weight problems with flying.

I also try to cut down on shoes as these are the heaviest of all to pack. I usually bring about 5 or 6 pairs.

Jennie

Thanks!

Your cruise documents will list the number of formal/informal/casual nights. Unless you booked air/cruise, you should have received your docs by now.

An option is to visit the roll call board. Surely someone has received their docs:confused: .

The number of formal nights often depends on the itinerary. We're on a two week S. Caribbean with only two formal nights. It's very port intensive with only four sea days. You'll have lots of sea days, thus plenty of opportunity for formal nights.

Wow, I'm scratching my head over 15 nights... 30 nights might just take me over the top (though I'd certainly be willing to put it to the test).

LOL ... believe me, I'm going over the top with this too. I haven't even begun packing, but I think my "challenge" is gonna be with things other than clothes. Books, CDs, etc. take up a lot of room in the suitcase unfortunately.

By the time I pack that stuff, and allow for some spare room in my suitcases for things bought in port, I don't have a whole lot of room left for clothes. Shoes? Forget it. I wind up bringing about three pairs tops.

Another option HAL offers on some cruises ... and I'm sure hoping they do on this cruise ... is a FedEx service. For a set price (one for three-day shipping and one for overnight), they give you a box at the front desk and you can fill it up with things you wish to have shipped home. Then, a FedEx truck meets the ship in port and picks up all the boxes for shipping.

They had this service on my Zuiderdam cruise last year and as I recall the prices were very reasonable, especially for the three-day shipping. I'm just hoping they do this on my Amsterdam cruise this coming January. It is sure an easy, cost-effective and convenient way to get all those heavier, non-clothing items home.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We've taken several "longer" cruises, and basically pack about the same as we do for a ten or so night cruise - and know that some laundry will have to be done.

I do send out my dress shirts to the ships laundry, but do the rest myself, in the laundromat.

My wife tends to "mix and match" outfits, rather than trying to pack a separate outfit for each day.

Another option HAL offers on some cruises ... and I'm sure hoping they do on this cruise ... is a FedEx service. For a set price (one for three-day shipping and one for overnight), they give you a box at the front desk and you can fill it up with things you wish to have shipped home. Then, a FedEx truck meets the ship in port and picks up all the boxes for shipping.

Great tip... a whole new world of shopping has just opened for me:D

Hi Jennie,

Your upcoming 35 day.... would that be Prinsendam, next 21st May Lauderdale to Amsterdam?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Nice to hear from you. No, our 35 day cruise is not on the Prinsendam but on the Veendam, sailing from Vancouver through the Panama Canal and then up the Amazon before finishing in Tampa. We are going to fly into Vancouver a few days beforehand and have a look around. At the end of the cruise we are going to fly to San Francisco for a few days and then fly home. We will be away for six weeks. 2006 will be the first year for over 12 years that we will not visit Europe.

Jennie

Jennie: We've heard the Amazon cruise on Veendam this year was wonderful..... I think it was a similar itinerary to what you are doing. Wish we had the time. It sounds so interesting.

Sail,

It does sound a wonderful trip especially as we are starting in Vancouver and calling into Seattle along the way. :)

It will finish off South America for us as we are leaving here on 30th December. We are visiting Rio and the Iguazu Falls, then doing the 21 day cruise, then off to Machu Pichu and finally doing the Galapagos Islands. ;)

We are very excited and yesterday we had our 4 injections plus a dose booster of polio. Amazingly I am feeling normal and my arm is not sore. At least we will not need anymore injections for next year but will need to take tablets for malaria. :rolleyes:

Jennie

We did a 16 day Med on Rotterdam in 04, my wife and I each had a suitecase which was full to the brim. We did stay in Athens with my wife's family for 10 days prior as well. We used ship's self laundry and service laundry while on the cruise. Here's the thing to keep in mind. First almost all the airlines limit the wieght of checked baggage to 50 pounds (domestic, 70 overseas) and limit to two or three checked bags and two carry ons (one being a computer bag or personal hand bag for the ladies). Anything else, break out your wallet! With that in mind, pack accordingly. Use the ship's laundry service or self service laundry as required.

As far as formal nights go, there were three that I recall on our trip. As we have not gotton to the point yet for me to buy a tux, I rented from Cruiseware Formal which got me the tux, shoes, 2 dress shirts, suspenders, cumberbund, studs, and cuff links all for $120 for the entire curise. The package was in the cabin when we arrived and I only had to change out the trowsers for a better fit (which was handled by the cabin steward)

Hi Ahnalira,

I'll be on the Amsterdam December 22nd - San Diego/Hawaii/San Diego. I already have my documents and there are four formal nights listed.

The secret to packing for more than a 7-day cruise is simple and has been mentioned several times already on this thread: separates/mix and match.

We did the 35-day San Diego to Rio cruise a few years ago and only took one regular-size suitcase and one carry on bag each. It was kind of difficult to pack for the trip since we would be facing temperatures anywhere from hot hot hot (and humid in Rio) to literally freezing. However, we did take advantage of the ship's laundry service and it was well worth the money. It certainly beat shlepping another suitcase each.

Have a great cruise.

Valerie

p.s. RITA - that's a great tip about FedEx. I didn't know that and that's what so great about this board, one learns something new every time one logs on. Thanks.:)

Archived