Carnival reception concern - alcohol consumption

Hi all!

I have a bit of a concern, and I was wondering if anyone had any helpful suggestions or experiences dealing with this.

I'm getting married onboard Carnival Vista in May. We have a couple people who will be attending who can get a little overzealous with their alcohol consumption. It's a touchy situation, and I'm not sure how to handle it. I know I can't control them throughout the cruise itself, and they will certainly overindulge and get intoxicated during the cruise - and while I won't judge that, I'd like it to not happen at my reception, due to drama and having to make it through muster drill without getting kicked off the ship.

I know on cruises I've been on previously people get overserved/intoxicated. Does this happen at shipboard receptions, as well, or are the bartenders careful at moderating their serving? If I have a delegate (my mother or the maid of honor, perhaps) speak to the bartenders, would they be cautious about this (either in general or with specific people)?

I wouldn't worry too much about the reception, unless they're hardcore alcoholics how bad could they get in an hour/hour and a half? Especially considering some of that time will be spent watching the first dance, cutting the cake, etc.

I'd be more worried about the 2ish hours between when you board the ship and the wedding. They could do some damage in that time and show up to the wedding drunk. And it's not like you can run around the whole ship asking evert bartender to watch out for them. You could ask someone to babysit them, but that's not really fair to the person babysitting them and could still lead to a lot of drama.

As touchy of a subject as it is, I think your best bet is to have a conversation with them. I had to do this with two people we were on the fence about inviting. One of them isn't getting invited because of how the conversation went, and one of them is because he understood that it's our wedding and assured us he wouldn't cause any problems.

I've seen several pax cut off. Some were betting crazy at the tables, others were too boisterous and others were too 'happy'.

If you're this concerned, do you really need a bar at your wedding? How about just serving wine?

I wouldn't worry too much about the reception, unless they're hardcore alcoholics how bad could they get in an hour/hour and a half? Especially considering some of that time will be spent watching the first dance, cutting the cake, etc.

I'd be more worried about the 2ish hours between when you board the ship and the wedding. They could do some damage in that time and show up to the wedding drunk. And it's not like you can run around the whole ship asking evert bartender to watch out for them. You could ask someone to babysit them, but that's not really fair to the person babysitting them and could still lead to a lot of drama.

As touchy of a subject as it is, I think your best bet is to have a conversation with them. I had to do this with two people we were on the fence about inviting. One of them isn't getting invited because of how the conversation went, and one of them is because he understood that it's our wedding and assured us he wouldn't cause any problems.

I hadn't even thought about the time between boarding the ship and the wedding - that's a valid point. We've had conversations about the need to be careful, and the very real possibility that they could be kicked off the ship prior to even sailing if they can't keep it together through muster drill. They've said it will be fine, but there are still some concerns.

I've seen several pax cut off. Some were betting crazy at the tables, others were too boisterous and others were too 'happy'.

If you're this concerned, do you really need a bar at your wedding? How about just serving wine?

I suppose I could discuss with our wedding coordinator for Carnival the options. Unfortunately, I think it's an "all or nothing" kind of deal - maybe if we only had a champagne/wine toast, that could work.

I suppose I could discuss with our wedding coordinator for Carnival the options. Unfortunately, I think it's an "all or nothing" kind of deal - maybe if we only had a champagne/wine toast, that could work.

If you only serve wine and they're determined to get messed up they can leave and get a drink and just pay for it themselves. If they get so drunk they get kicked off before it leaves it's their problem, not yours (which I think would be hard, I'm usually quite intoxicated by muster and I've never been threatened to get kicked off). You can't control what they do on a ship with that many bars and it'd be a shame to limit your other guests because you try to

This might be a silly question but does anyone know if non sailing guests can purchase alcohol before the ceremony?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. When we did a "site inspection" (tour of the ship on a day that there is a wedding to see the different ceremony and reception areas) we were able to use our credit card at any bar. They just tell the bartender they are a guest and not staying on the ship and they don't have any problem taking a credit card.

Yes. When we did a "site inspection" (tour of the ship on a day that there is a wedding to see the different ceremony and reception areas) we were able to use our credit card at any bar. They just tell the bartender they are a guest and not staying on the ship and they don't have any problem taking a credit card.

Good to know! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have much to offer to this conversation.. except I'm getting married on the Vista in August!! Yeah Vista Brides!!!!!

We'll have to stay in touch so you can let me know how your experience is. :)

I'll be sure to give my review when I come back! I know there are a few other Vista brides here, but I think I might be the first of us!