Damaged Luggage

Florry

Hi folks I'm looking for some advice. I'm on Arcadia and this is the last night of our 5 night cruise. I've got the suitcase out only to realise that there is a large crack all around one of the wheels. I love this hard-shell Samsonite luggage which you can't buy anymore [emoji31] Anyway I took it to reception and they explained that their policy was to see if the luggage could be repaired before they discussed the next steps, so I had to leave my luggage with them. Some hours later it was returned to my cabin with no message and someone had tried unsuccessfully and without permission to glue it together [emoji31] I went back to reception and said that this couldn't be considered to have concluded the matter as my case was still cracked, the integrity of the case compromised and it is no longer waterproof. They then proceeded to offer me £20 OBC to cover the excess on my insurance, I said that wasn't good enough and they increased it to £50. I really don't want to claim on my insurance as this will increase my future premium and I think that if P&O broke my suitcase then this is their liability, and as such they are responsible for replacing it. The current situation is that I have refused any OBC as this was not being given as a goodwill gesture and could be seen as accepting it as a final settlement. I know I need to take this up with shore-side when I disembark but has this ever happened to anyone else? The suitcase was about £250 new.

It's put a bit of a dampener on the holiday as I've spent most of the afternoon trying to sort it out. Combined with the fact that service at dinner last night resembled something out of faulty towers (our table was served courses all at different times, my husbands grouse still had its feathers on, they served me egg and I'm allergic to it and all we could do was laugh), this last 24 hours has been a bit of a trial. On a positive note, we have avoided the Noro Virus, the Ocean Grill and our Steward have been wonderful, the cruise has been lovely and Hamburg fireworks quite spectacular!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Florry

Did you not notice the damage when you unpacked? Has the damage been caused by the bed, if it was underneath?

Don't know what else to suggest. I wouldn't have thought that the insurance would raise your premium that much for one claim. I claimed for £1000 for medical cover and my premium didn't go up at all.

You try to get P&O to give you the money it would cost to get a very similar suitcase if you can prove that the structural integrity is now compromised.

Alternatively you could claim for a new one and get P&O to pay the excess.

As Jean said I don't think one claim of £250 will make your insurance go up by much, if anything.

Dan

Did you not notice the damage when you unpacked? Has the damage been caused by the bed, if it was underneath?

Don't know what else to suggest. I wouldn't have thought that the insurance would raise your premium that much for one claim. I claimed for £1000 for medical cover and my premium didn't go up at all.

No I didn't notice [emoji53] I just put the contents on the bed and slid it under (open). It's really solid heavy duty luggage that would have to have had a significant impact to break.

I can claim on the insurance I suppose but I don't think that's where the liability lies and P&O have already accepted responsibility, this is what pushes everyone's premiums up - and I suspect the insurer would point me back in P&Os direction - this is different to a medical claim.

So it had a large crack in it caused by the loading at embarkation and you didn't notice it? My husband's case just goes under the bed and we noticed that the bed touched it if we didn't put it under far enough.

Anyway, if they have accepted responsibility, they will pay I assume.

So it had a large crack in it caused by the loading at embarkation and you didn't notice it? My husband's case just goes under the bed and we noticed that the bed touched it if we didn't put it under far enough.

Anyway, if they have accepted responsibility, they will pay I assume.

Yes, but because the crack is around the wheel it wasn't immediately obvious (had it been on the actual lid or base I would have seen it). We know this luggage doesn't fit when closed so we always leave it open and it doesn't come anywhere near to the base of the bed.

My suggestion is to suck it up, ask for some Duc tape, cover hole and have a drink with friends. Ive had zippers broken on flights and had my clothes flapping in the wind as they came down chute at airport. I understand your plight but you are safe and had a great cruise. Lighten up [emoji322][emoji322]

No I didn't notice [emoji53] I just put the contents on the bed and slid it under (open). It's really solid heavy duty luggage that would have to have had a significant impact to break.

I can claim on the insurance I suppose but I don't think that's where the liability lies and P&O have already accepted responsibility, this is what pushes everyone's premiums up - and I suspect the insurer would point me back in P&Os direction - this is different to a medical claim.

Florrie....try david.noyes@carnivalukgroup.com

Worked for me. Keep it simple factual and polite.

My suggestion is to suck it up, ask for some Duc tape, cover hole and have a drink with friends. Ive had zippers broken on flights and had my clothes flapping in the wind as they came down chute at airport. I understand your plight but you are safe and had a great cruise. Lighten up [emoji322][emoji322]

Probably the solution involving the least effort [emoji23] on the bright side it happened once I was here! Whilst I've had disasters on long haul flights and been without my luggage for several days on business trips, I now think myself lucky that my pants haven't flapped in the wind [emoji23]

We had a similar issue on Ventura in the Caribbean some years back. It was raining when we boarded and my sisters case had obviously been left stacked in the rain. When she opened it the top layer of clothes were wet, the suitcase was ripped on the corner and a sun hat that was new which had got damp had bled colour from its band to the hat. She dried out all the clothing in the room just leaving the damaged suitcase and the hat. We spoke with reception who took the case and to their credit repaired it so you never knew it had ripped. For the hat they said 'claim on your insurance'. We were not happy with that and elevated it and as my OH still had the receipt for the hat in his wallet as he bought it as a gift for my sister they finally, after a lot of discussion, gave my sister OBC to the value of the hat.

I don't agree with them saying to claim on your own insurance. They caused the damage, they are liable and I certainly don't agree with Lucy Jane saying to 'suck it up' and 'lighten up'. That's not helpful at all and just lets the cruise line off the hook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a Carnival cruise out of Port Canaveral one year, we had a couple of left over beers in one of the cases. Anyway, the case arrived in the room with the lock forced open (one of those locks where you put the two ends of the zipper) and a note inside the case saying that we had brought alcohol on board and that it had been confiscated.

Not bothered about the beer, but the case lock actually had a crack in it where they had presumably used a screwdriver or something to break it open.

Reception were very good and agreed that it should not have happened and told me to write to Carnival (in USA) when I got home and ask for refund. However, correspondence went backwards and forwards until Carnival practically accused me of lying about the broken case and saying that it wasn't their responsiblity. After a lot of wrangling, I eventually got a US dollar cheque from them.

I was not pleased, to say the least.In fact, I think I will go back through my email and find the response from Carnival to post here.

Email from Carnival in Miani in 2012. I have crossed out the memeber of staff's name.

"Thank you for getting in touch with me again!

It is my pleasure to assist you. In response to your inquiry and upon further research with our onboard chief security, we have been informed that all locked luggage are opened in the presence of guest. It is our procedure to page and/or send a letter to our guest’s stateroom informing said guest to visit the Empress deck gangway to conduct search. Please note that our security does not forcibly open any luggage, which is locked.

We regret you continue to be dissatisfied, however, during our security screening any and all prohibited items found will be removed and stored for safekeeping. In your case, we have no records your lock was broken by our staff, as such only the beers were removed, which was indicated on the letter provided within your luggage. We extend our deepest apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

We hope you understand our position and thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx

Luggage Coordinator, Guest Care"

I had even sent photos of the lock and the note inside the case. Eventually though, this is what I received (again a Samsonite case).

"Thank you for choosing Carnival Cruise Lines.

Keeping customers happy is at the heart of our business. A cruise is meant to be an escape from the stresses and strains of everyday life: a time to feel pampered, to enjoy fabulous food and great entertainment, to lie in the sun without a care in the world.

Please accept our apologies for your damaged luggage. A check for $200.00 will be issued under separate cover. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing.

Come back soon – we’d love to have you join us again.

Sincerely,

xxxx"

The last one is a bit odd it's like the two paragraphs don't belong in the same letter! Glad you got it sorted, there is nothing worse than getting back off holiday and having to sort something that went wrong out.

The reception staff were lovely on Arcadia, but the problem is they have to follow a process even if that process doesn't make sense in a particular circumstance, this means that as a customer you feel like you are having something done to you as you are subjected to the internal complexities of P&O.

I will have to send them an e-mail tomorrow, I can't face the thought at the moment [emoji53]

Edited by Florry

The last one is a bit odd it's like the two paragraphs don't belong in the same letter! Glad you got it sorted, there is nothing worse than getting back off holiday and having to sort something that went wrong out.

The reception staff were lovely on Arcadia, but the problem is they have to follow a process even if that process doesn't make sense in a particular circumstance, this means that as a customer you feel like you are having something done to you as you are subjected to the internal complexities of P&O.

I will have to send them an e-mail tomorrow, I can't face the thought at the moment [emoji53]

They are from different emails!

I never thought to get a letter from reception to prove that they had done it - never for one moment thought they would deny it.

One email was denying responsiblity (and practically accusing me of making it up), the other email was from a different date giving me money towards replacing the case. Probably thought I would give up and not bother to chase it up.

Tracey

They are from different emails!

I never thought to get a letter from reception to prove that they had done it - never for one moment thought they would deny it.

One email was denying responsiblity (and practically accusing me of making it up), the other email was from a different date giving me money towards replacing the case. Probably thought I would give up and not bother to chase it up.

Tracey

No, I meant the second email seemed to jump from why cruising should be great to here's your cheque [emoji23] I suppose they just paste standard paragraphs in.