NCL Star, Singapore-Hong Kong, 12/11/16 - my opinions of the ship and NCL

walkingsoon

We are on the Feb. 6th sailing and would love to see Hanno again. Did he say how much longer he would be on the Star?

I believe he's going to be onboard until the Star gets back to Europe so you'll probably see him. Apparently, NCL wants him to cover the return cruises as he's already done the legwork and had the experience of the ports on the outbound cruises. He had some choice words about disembarkation and embarkation in India and, especially, check-in and embarkation in Singapore on our Dec 11 cruise.

He is a character, isn't he?

We are on the Feb. 6th sailing and would love to see Hanno again. Did he say how much longer he would be on the Star?

I thought he said he is on through January and then taking some time off in Germany before the European cruises begin on the Star (but I could be wrong). I have never been fond of any concierge on NCL before and generally found them useless, but I found Hanno very helpful and entertaining at the same time.

I believe he's going to be onboard until the Star gets back to Europe so you'll probably see him. Apparently, NCL wants him to cover the return cruises as he's already done the legwork and had the experience of the ports on the outbound cruises. He is a character, isn't he?

I thought he said he is on through January and then taking some time off in Germany before the European cruises begin on the Star (but I could be wrong). I have never been fond of any concierge on NCL before and generally found them useless, but I found Hanno very helpful and entertaining at the same time.

Thanks for the updates. Hanno was extremely helpful on our Baltics cruise two years ago. I talked to the preconcierge desk in Miami yesterday and she said Hanno is leaving the Star before our Feb. 6 sailing. Too bad as we would have liked to see him. He is a great problem solver. Karin will be the concierge on our cruise. She is good too.

My Goodness!

I booked this journey for a specific reason and the rest part of the trip was the bonus. When the first notice of itinerary change came it was, for me, disastrous; I needed to go to Thailand to deliver some items to a Children's home. Of course I grumbled to myself, but tried to adapt, accepting that things do happen.

But when the second change came it completely eliminated my reason for the journey. Despite my writing (multiple times) to NCL and receiving acknowledgements of receipt, not once have I ever received the courtesy of a reply. In mounting desperation I finally asked to cancel. I certainly did not want to spend a day sitting in port then half the journey sitting 'at sea.' But alas, no reply.

Got the travel company to phone them. Of course, told "NO REFUNDS- EVER!" (Sounded like Joan Crawford and "No Wire Hangers - Ever!").

Then the third itinerary change came. And frankly, that was little more than a kick in the rubber bits, if you get my drift. And I had already committed myself to the flights to SIN and the flight back from HKG.

I'm gutted. NCL's pleasant response initially was that they're proud to offer a 20% discount on a future 'experience' with NCL. Sure...it's what I live for!

I spent my life on the old grand dame ships growing up and my later years have only been Cunard, P&O, Ponant, and Hurtigruten. Perhaps because they're culturally different than an american company operating with a Norwegian Flag, I don't know. But it seems to be the attitude of "we don't care, why should we, we're NCL!"

Simply put: It's not what was presented, it's not what I bought, it's not what I want. So the choice is mine today: toss the money I spent out the window and go spend copious sums more to get myself and my bags to Thailand, find accommodation, then get myself a flight to HKG to head home...or to sit on the ship for days...and clearly, be bombarded with more encouragements to spend money with NCL.

Hobson's choice I suppose. But regardless, I for one, am most certainly not happy. Perhaps there are others who are boarding today who share similar displeasure over the multiple changes and forced stay-over in SIN. I'll keep an eye out for pitch forks and clubs being hoisted on the pier.

And for anyone else destined for this 11 Day voyage to nowhere, I wish you all a Bon Voyage.

Fr B+

It is much easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission!

I talked to the preconcierge desk in Miami yesterday and she said Hanno is leaving the Star before our Feb. 6 sailing.

My apologies for the misinformation. I'd have sworn he said that he wasn't looking forward to going through India again.

My apologies for the misinformation. I'd have sworn he said that he wasn't looking forward to going through India again.

Both are correct, Hanno leaves the ship when it returns to Singapore in a couple of weeks and rejoins in Singapore when the ship returns from Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums