FLL--Hyatt Pier 66

amagar

We usually stay here pre-cruise. I read a few months ago that it is under new management. Among other things, the revolving bar was closed. And the pool was being refurbished. It was supposed to re-open 10/25.

Does anyone have any trip reports since new management? And how about that pool? Is it bigger, smaller, open?

Thank you

and again 11/5-11/6; the pool was definitely NOT open. Unsure how much was damaage from the hurricaine and how much was renovation. Not sure about the restaurant. Stayed the first weekend in an older terrace room in one of the wings. While the room was OK, the trek to the main building was lengthy. I complained and was put into a very new and beautiful lanai room : plasma TV, walk in shower etc (note the 2nd stay was through Priceline and cost 1/2 the first stay)

We've stayed there before three cruises....always via Priceline. Always good experiences until last year when our parents accompanied us. They're smokers (we're not) and the smoking lanai rooms were the pits. Overwhelming mold smell. After complaint, moved to room on the other side of the world (this resort is much larger than I ever realized) and it was fine.

We like the Hyatt for three reasons: a) Large pool that's never crowded b) Lovely grounds and facility c) Location/walk along yachts on canal leads to great casual restaurant/bar on second floor overlooking waterway (usually a guitar player or something).

We also enjoyed the view from revolving bar, but can live without it. If the pool is out of the equation, however, we'll look elsewhere.

I have seen a report of the Pier 66 since the hurricane, and it stated that there was much damage from the storm around the lanai area. However, some of the mess could be from the refurbishment process. December 1 is a date to shoot for, for completion or re-opening of the pool area. I will doublecheck my source tomorrow and report back more specifically if requested. Lynne

HERE IS THE SITUATION, THEY SUFFERED SOME DAMAGE TO THE ROOMS AROUND THE POOL, BLOWN OUT GLASS DOORS, THEY ARE WAITING TO BE REPLACED, THE POOL WILL BE OPEN AGAIN DEC.1ST, IT WAS READY TILL THE HURRICANE IT AND TOOK SOME DAMAGE. THEY ARE MAKING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THOSE WISHING TO USE A POOL AT A NEGHBORING PROPERTY. SOME BALCONY DAMAGE WHICH HAS BEEN REPAIRED.

THE RESTAURANT WAS RENOVATED FOR BANQUETS, SO NO MORE REVOLVING RESTAURANT, IT DOES A BIG BANQUET BUSINESS, SO SORRY FOLKS.

WE STAY THERE PRE AND POST CRUISES AND i KNOW THE GEN MGR WELL, THIS IS STILL MY FAVORITE HOTEL WITH MY TOWER ROOM AND INTERCOASTAL VIEW EACH TIME.

WE ARE BOOKED BOTH PRE AND POST FOR OUR UPCOMING CRUISE 12-14-05 CORAL PRINCESS.

I HAVE BOOKED CLIENTS THEIR ALONG WITH US, IT WILL BE FINE, SOME TREES HAVE TO BE REPLACED AROUND THE POOL AREA BUT IT WILL BE UP BY THE 1ST OF DECEMBER.

ALL THE REST OF YOU ENJOY YOUR VACATIONS.

LUV2CRUIZE

We stayed there on Nov 6 and Oct 29 - the week we were gone showed no construction activity, just some cleanup. The pool is in the middle of a large courtyard - the courtyard has a lot of work to be done for use - There is material laying around for underground drainage not yet installed - I would assume it is going to be grass or stone around the area - right now it is just sand and mud. The pool may be open shortly, but getting to it may be a problem.

Ron

You should probably call the hotel and ask them the status of the remodeling and hurricane damage repair. It is a nice hotel, however, not worth the $285 I paid on Oct 29, but well worth the $90 I paid on priceline for Nov. 6.

Ron

Hyatt Pier 66 front desk reps say Pool is out and so is the rotating bar - boo hoo! The ETA on completion is Jan 2006:(

Hyatt Pier 66 Rep also stated that shuttle service will be provided to a sister resort (the Bahia Mar) to use their pool and beach. Rep also states this hotel is located "on the beach" along A1A. I'll dig around and see what I see - a premilinary search on yahoo reveals several links to reviews of this hotel property right here on our very own cruise critic!

Hyatt Pier 66 front desk reps say Pool is out and so is the rotating bar - boo hoo! The ETA on completion is Jan 2006:(

Hyatt Pier 66 Rep also stated that shuttle service will be provided to a sister resort (the Bahia Mar) to use their pool and beach. Rep also states this hotel is located "on the beach" along A1A. I'll dig around and see what I see - a premilinary search on yahoo reveals several links to reviews of this hotel property right here on our very own cruise critic!

]

From what we saw on Nov 6 - even January sounds optimistic, but it is doable with a lot of workers, money and overtime.

Ron

Ron - can you tell me another nice resort nearby? We plan to use the pool, King Tut exhibit at the Museum of Art and watertaxi to Las Olas and touristy stuff for two days prior. I'd like to stay in a nicer property. Grounds and ammenities are important to me, as well as cleanliness and all that. I think being by the beach without taking a watertaxi would be nice but not completely necessary. The Hyatt has shuttles. Maybe we should just stay where we are....I dont have my book with me, I had chosen between this Hyatt and another property nearby Marina something I think it was a Marriott???:confused:

We stayed at the Pier 66 in Sept and it was a nightmare. Sounds like it still is. Really poor customer service plus great increases in price..:confused: Real kick in the pants. The pool they take you to is like a roof top type of pool.. surrounded by a parking lot. The only reason they take you to the Bahia Mar is because the owners of the Pier 66 also own that hotel. The Bahia Mar is not at all a 4* hotel. If they really wanted to treat you as a good and valued customer they would have taken you to the 4* Marriott's pool on the beach. I would not stay there if you want a relaxing time and service worth the big $$. There are many other hotels in the area that would afford you a better experience.

WOW! Thanks Torpedo! We did end up making reservations yesterday with the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort - its a better rate with the package we got for the King Tut deal. I appreciate you taking the time to post here. If we hadnt switched yet, I surely would have - after your comments here. It was just as I suspected... :( ....I know we'll be happy at the Marriott! Thanks very much/mahalo nui loa, Aloha_Jackie:)

Is a wonderful choice, better than the 66 and Bahia Mar. The pool area is the nicest layout of any of our beach hotels in ft. laud. I live in a condo right next to the Marriott HB and utilize their pools all the time.

have a great vacation!

Gary

Gary / Torpeedo - thanks for the warm fuzzy! Its refreshing to get some good news about my choice and with the package we got, I feel more comfortable about spending the dinero. I wasnt comfortable spending 187.50 a night (a good discounted fare) for a hotel that didnt even have a pool. I thought we could handle taking the shuttle to the pool/beach and thought for that kind of money we should be able to enjoy one at our own resort. I had visions of sitting in a shuttle van in a wet bathing suit and sandy beach mat at my feet...snorkel crappola in tow....not good. We got VIP Tut tickets, audio tour for two etc - so we are looking forward to that too! For $199 a night it is well worth the $10 difference, let alone the other amenities. I already had a certificate that guaranteed me tickets, but was worried about those too. Turns out Marriott is the official sponsor in the FLL area. This is going to be great!

BTW, anyone know how far the Museum of Art is from the Marriott Harbor Beach?

Thanks/mahalo to you all!

I forgot to ask about the snorkeling!

Gary - have you snorkeled out there? They have a room/tour package that includes one of the underwater propelled devices - I thought it would be cool to check it out. You havent done that one by any chance? I hope there are lots of fish and that it is warm and shark-free....:D

Archived