#1100 Jewel-I got it!!

tarps14

I had a JS booked on the Radiance for the week of 1/15/06. I have been keeping an eye on the Jewel for 1/14 just for kicks and giggles and low and behold, I click on a few minutes ago and JS 1100 AFT was available!! The only balcony that was available!! What dumb luck. We had an aft on Diamond Princess back in January and my DH absolutely loved it. The balcony was huge. What a great unexpected anniversary present. We had been batting around upgrading to a GS on the Radiance because 1556 on the hump is now available but decided not to because of the price ($1200 smackers for both). This aft is gonna run about another $1000 but sooooo worth it. I'm on cloud nine. Now I just gotta figure out how to change my box below!:D

I had a JS booked on the Radiance for the week of 1/15/06. I have been keeping an eye on the Jewel for 1/14 just for kicks and giggles and low and behold, I click on a few minutes ago and JS 1100 AFT was available!! The only balcony that was available!! What dumb luck. We had an aft on Diamond Princess back in January and my DH absolutely loved it. The balcony was huge. What a great unexpected anniversary present. We had been batting around upgrading to a GS on the Radiance because 1556 on the hump is now available but decided not to because of the price ($1200 smackers for both). This aft is gonna run about another $1000 but sooooo worth it. I'm on cloud nine. Now I just gotta figure out how to change my box below!:D

So let me see if I read this right......you got an aft JS for $200 less than what you could have got a GS for????

($1000 (more) for Jewel aft...or $1200 smackers (more)to go to GS on Radiance)...personally I'd a sprung for the $200 and had a Grand Suite! (on the hump no less)

Is the Jewel 1 day more or 1 day less than the Radiance cruise?

So let me see if I read this right......you got an aft JS for $200 less than what you could have got a GS for????

($1000 (more) for Jewel aft...or $1200 smackers (more)to go to GS on Radiance)...personally I'd a sprung for the $200 and had a Grand Suite! (on the hump no less)

Is the Jewel 1 day more or 1 day less than the Radiance cruise?

Radiance of the Seas 7 nighter 1/15/06........GS on that sailing is $600 more per person then the JS........$1200 total more to upgrade to a GS from a JS.

Jewel of the Seas was a 8 nighter and alot more expensive, might save some money on that sailing though since that ship leaves from Ft. Lauderdale and gernerally air fares are lower into there as opposed to Miami.

So what she ended up doing was getting a JS on Jewel for $1000 more then what she had the Radiance Js for but got and extra day of cruising and possibly cheaper air to offset the higher price plus a cabin that faces the aft with a much larger balcony that she really wanted.

Jimbo:)

Think I would take #1100 over #1602 even though #1602's balcony might be a few square ft larger from looking at the deck plans. I Just like that #1100 has only one neighbor and is not next to that Large Grand Suite Cabin which is next to #1602. #1100 would be a a quietier location.

I have never seen pictures of #1602's Balcony, but have seen #1100 plenty of times. I like the fact that you can see toward the port side forward also, plus you can get a little bit of a breeze by being on the corner aft in Cabin #1100.

Another nice Balcony for the money is Category D1 Cabin 9256, it's fine for just 2 people. :) :D :) :D

Jimbo:)

Congratulations!

I loved that cabin--well worth the upgrade price, in my opinion. As Jimbo said, the corner location is quiet and the view is fantastic. Every night, we'd leave the drapes open and fall asleep watching the stars.

Think I would take #1100 over #1602 even though #1602's balcony might be a few square ft larger from looking at the deck plans. I Just like that #1100 has only one neighbor and is not next to that Large Grand Suite Cabin which is next to #1602. #1100 would be a a quietier location.

I have never seen pictures of #1602's Balcony, but have seen #1100 plenty of times. I like the fact that you can see toward the port side forward also, plus you can get a little bit of a breeze by being on the corner aft in Cabin #1100.

Another nice Balcony for the money is Category D1 Cabin 9256, it's fine for just 2 people.

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo

We happen to be in That Large Grand Suite on that week are you saying we are noisy?? :D :D

Regards

royhand.gifchrishand.gif

Thanks so much Jimbo for that explanation. Have been working all day and haven't been able to get on until now. You are correct in that we gained an extra day as this is an 8-dayer (word?). We were looking to fly into Miami on Sat but airfares from Atl have not dropped far enough yet. We are looking at Ft Lauderdale now for Sat am but are considering driving as we live about 9 hours away (not as bad as it sounds, interstate all the way). We are thinking of leaving Fri and staying around Orlando as my DH has Marriott points and can get a free room. Gotta save that $1000 somewhere! I was not that impressed with the layout of the grand suite, much preffered the JS layout. My DH is a big gambler and I get bored with it quickly and spend alot of time on the balcony or watching a movie or two. I didn't like the way the TV was across the room and you couldn't lay on the sofa to watch. I also liked the ports on the Jewel as we have never been to St Johns or Atlantis on Nassau. To each his own where cabin choice is concerned.

Just to add on a side note. We almost lost the cabin today as it is 3 days past final payment. RCCL didn't want to change the ship and date (1/15 to 1/14) as this would have constituted a re-booking and I could have certainly understood this. However, TA was able to plead with customer service and got the change without penalty. She also pointed out to them that we were actually providing more revenue as we are taking a more expensive cruise. I'm sure the fact helped that as of this morning there were no JS available on the Radiance and they knew it could be resold without problem. (I believe there is now a few available in addition to the one we had.) Sometimes it helps to go with a well known cruise-only agency as they have some pull due to shear volume of bookings. It worked out for the best and I couldn't be happier.:D

Way to go, Tarps on getting 1100 and getting RCI to yield on payment! We've had 1100 (Radiance) and 1600 (Brilliance) and loved them both. We'll have 1602 on Jewel next year. The balcony on 1100 is far superior to that on 1600 - although we had 2 loungers, two chairs & a table, it was a little crowded - 1100 has a wider balcony, and 1602's is deeper and wider, so they accomodate the extra furniture with ease.

I understand that the cabin layout in 1600 is not typical for a GS. Although it is a gorgeous cabin (I will post my pics one of these days), the closet is positively tiny compared to the walkin you get w/a JS. DH and I were constantly in each other's way whenever we had to get in there.

We were vewy, vewy quiet, so I'm sure we didn't disturb the occupants of 1602.:)

I don't think you can lose with any of the aft cabins on a Radiance-class ship.

1600 only has the sliding door onto the balcony, same as a D-1 cabin. The JS cabins have the sliding door plus an extra window, so they are wider at the point where you go out onto the balcony. I haven't seen a "standard" GS, but I understand that they have the slider plus another double-wide window, and that 1600 is unique in that regard.

All things considered, I prefer the JS for just DH & me. It's a whole lot less expensive on most cruises (we only booked the GS the one time because we got it for $100 more and just had to try it), and the layout works for us. And we're Diamond, so we get the same perks (Concierge Club access being the primary one) as the suite dwellers.

I had booked 1100, but changed to 1602 for the larger balcony. Not sure if it was a good idea, but a great room none the less! A lady named Bonnie from Cruise Critic jumped on 1100, so we will have a bunch of people from CC in the AFT. Stop in and say hello.

Jo Ann and Al from Jersey

Archived