Options for jerk chicken in Falmouth

FlashFire

Hoping to get some advice from those experienced with Jamaica.

Funny side story: Back in 2010 I think it was, I became ill on our cruise. At the time I thought it was something I ate, rather than a viral infection like noro, but in hindsight it could have been either. Thinking I was safe to go out, I wasn't about to let my symptoms ruin a vacation so I was pushing through it and trying to enjoy everything we had lined up to do. When we stopped in Jamaica, I had booked the bobsled & Dunn's River Falls excursion. The two hour bus ride to the activity was terrible while sick, but activities themselves were fun. Afterwards we were treated to a lunch of jerk chicken and sides. It was the best chicken I'd ever had in my life. Despite having trouble eating until then, I ate my plate as well as DGF's (who was unable to finish hers due to the heat). Further, until that point I did not particularly like spicy food, and since that day have grown a taste for it. An hour later I felt better -- not even the least bit sick. The rest of the trip was awesome. It is probably a coincidence, but it seems the chicken had cured me!

Since then I've tried "jerk chicken" from a few places in the US. Even took a jar of seasoning bought in Jamaica and used it, but it wasn't the same. It wasn't even good for that matter; I didn't like the taste of the stuff from the jar. A bit of reading informs me that "real" jerk chicken is made with a different cooking process, not just a known list of spices. That's probably why the others aren't the same.

So we'll be in Falmouth in a couple weeks and I really want some real jerk chicken while there. Short of booking the same tour again and hoping for the same chicken again, what is the best option? I've searched (here and elsewhere) and so far found two:

1. The tour from http://jamaicaculinarytours.com/ supposedly includes a jerk chicken sample. I'd rather a whole plate than a sample, and I'm not sure if the one they offer is one of the authentic recipes or is it the tourist version I could get here? This option appeals for other reasons though too -- we'd enjoy the chance to try other foods as well, and being with a group would be safer in an area where the question of security is frequently raised.

2. Scotchies and Pork Pit both have a lot of excellent reviews. Unfortunately they are in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. Is it worth taking a taxi or a driver to get there? What is the most reliable and safest way to get there and back?

The threads on this subject are mostly a couple years old, especially the more informative ones. Hoping anybody has any recent advice or information to offer. Thanks in advance.

We did Scotchie's on our way back from our excursion, I would highly recommend it - but it appears to be an hour away from Falmouth so that seems unreasonable unless your going on an excursion that passes by like we did. Pork pit is closer, but I havent tried it to attest. Just doing a quick search and it was suggested by several people to hire a private driver. I dont trust most Jamaicans (ive had plenty of bad experiences we dont need to get into), so that might be the safest bet. It was suggested to use Reggae Tours - good luck! :)

We docked in Falmouth in August and found a private driver who took our group of 8 on a city tour into Montego Bay. It was fun. We asked him to take us to a good jerk chicken place and he took us to Scotchies. It was so good! Definitely the best meal of our whole cruise. We spent the day with this driver in a van and had a good time. I do not remember the cost of the van. Or the meal. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the advice so far. That lines up pretty well with what I've been finding. I want to try it enough to consider making the trip for the food alone. That is in itself the excursion.

Anyone have a private driver they can recommend? Did you arrange with them in advance, or just pick one of the ones standing around the port looking for work?

Thanks for the advice so far. That lines up pretty well with what I've been finding. I want to try it enough to consider making the trip for the food alone. That is in itself the excursion.

Anyone have a private driver they can recommend? Did you arrange with them in advance, or just pick one of the ones standing around the port looking for work?

I've been to Scotchies and Ocho Rios Jerk Centre. Both times I was on a private tour with Javia Shaw of www.knowjamaica.com

By the way: Ocho Rios Jerk Centre is BETTER than Scotchies. Fact. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Scotchies twice now. Even better the second time around! We use Chris Linton from Chris Jamaica Tours. Chris is awesome! He even orders for us, and knows just what to get! The jerk pork is very good, but the sausage was the BEST!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums