Using cell phone on the cruise

ajee622

You have to set this up with ATT prior to your cruise. They will walk you through setup. You also have to have ATT passport downloaded.

Hope this helps.

If you are wanting to use strictly wifi with no extra charges, you do not need a passport package or to set up anything with AT&T in advance.

The wifi hotspot access that is part of passport packages is a little different and limited to mostly European cities.

Also, if you have an ATT Family Share Value plan - you likely already have "free" calling, text and data in Mexico (and therefore Cozumel). They added it to most plans last year.

I had a look and this applies to 10GB and higher plans only.

Not for me. I have a 3 gb plan. They gave me Mexico (and my friends said the same thing) and they also gave me an extra 3 gb a month.

Maybe the offer was a one time thing but worth checking for it.

How did you find that you had the Mexico package - by checking your account online? I looked through fairly thoroughly and didn't find this Mexico thing listed anywhere - other than pages suggesting it only applies to 10GB plans. We have way more data than necessary on our 7GB plan, between rollover and bonus. Having Mexico would be a nice addition though.

ATT sent an email to me telling me about the addition. But frankly I could've just as easily have missed it because it looked like any other promotional email.

I called customer service and their billing people to confirm

• 2 weeks later...

An update. Celebrity does not allow the ATT cruise ship plan on their ships. And I find the xcelerate to be a notch slower than Royal's Voom internet.

My solution for this trip was to add a $60 call text and data ATT "passport"package that I am using today in Nassau.

Just off the Silhouette. I have a 5S and I did not buy an internet package on board as we were only gone for four days. I called AT&T before I left and was told that my phone would work at sea/on the ship, and that calls were around $2.50(ish)/minute. Texts were free for incoming and $.50 for outgoing. I did not buy one of the AT&T cruise packages as it was such a short sailing. On board, the cell carrier was "cellular at sea," and I had plenty of bars of service. I was able to receive and send texts from home; I never did try making a call as I didn't need to. On our port day in Mexico, the AT&T rep had told me that my current data plan included Mexico and I could use my phone as I normally would in the US with no additional charges, whether on wi-fi or not. That worked just fine.

We tried the AT&T Passport plan last year in South America. Maybe it's better now, but we found it kind of useless. You had to be somewhere actually on wi-fi to find the wi-fi hotspots. Made no sense at all.

Whatever you do, do not forget to turn OFF your data roaming!!!