How "real" is the upgrade fairy???

laura1960

Just out of curiosity, for those of you that found out your cabin assignments via the website, did they "stick" when you got to the pier? I know there's always a chance of getting an upgrade, and then getting reassigned to your original category once the cruise starts.

We paid for a 6A oceanview guarantee on Victory, and were THRILLED beyond belief that we were upgraded to 8C balcony on Verandah deck...room 8414. Sounds too good to be true!

I know I probably shouldn't get my hopes up, but I'm really, really excited about this possible upgrade!

So, an informal poll - how many of you had the same room as you were assigned on the website? Is the upgrade fairy for real? I keep telling myself, "if you believe, you shall receive.'":)

Laura

Laura:

New to Carnival, so can't tell you for sure - but a couple of things may help people answer you.

When does your ship leave - you don't have this information included on your post, just ship name. I would think the closer you are to departure, the more likely it is to be true.

Have you gotten your docs yet?

We bookd an inside guarantee on the Sensation in January - our docs still said TBA, but our stateroom WAS the one we found using the gift method on Carnival's site - we were placed in an inside stateroom on the Upper deck. This time around we bookd an OV guarantee, and about 50 days out Carnival's site indicated we were in 1109 - we just got our docs, and the docs state 1109. I'm ASSUMING that's where we'll be.

PPaxton,

We're sailing on the same day as you, only on the Victory instead of the Valor. No, no docs yet - I'm guessing I'll get them next month.

I am entirely aware that things can change at any minute, but it's hard not to think of a balcony! If we end up with a regular oceanview, I'd be entirely satisfied - after all, that's what we paid for - but an upgrade to balcony would be absolutely terrific!

Laura

We have been upgraded within category twice, (ie from balcony to balcony) and once (our first time sailing with NCL) we got upgraded from balcony to a Penthouse Suite. This wasn't just one of the regular suites, this was an incredible room with a bathroom larger than my master bathroom at home. It came with two butlers. The largest balcony you can ever imagine. We had a party out there for 6 of us with a large table and chairs for 6, and there was still room for the lounge chairs and the regular deck furniture. (The large table nornally wasn't out there, but our butlers were nice enough to mve it from inside the suite to outside the balcony.) It was incredible. It was one step down from the owner's suite.

The wierd thing was they called to offer us the upgrade at home (we booked directly with the CL). I think they called because the two butlers require extra tipping $50 each, but well worth it, we gave them another $50 each at the end of the cruise. I was at work at the time and my DH answered the phone and told them,"Uh, I don't know - my wife makes all those arrangements. Let me call her and I'll call you back." He called me on my cell phone and I told him if that room was gone when he called the guy back I would kill him.

That time the D in DH really did stand for dumb. (All the other times it is darling, dear, dreamy) but boy that time.... what was he thinking????

This will be our first cruise since. Not that it was going to happen to us because for one of the first times we booked assigned cabins - so we could have the cabin next to my brother who is traveling with his 3 kids. (Techically 2 kids are in his room and one is in our room.) But we have both DS and DH travelling with us with their SO. We booked them in GTY cabins and I keep checking the web site to see if they have gotten assigned rooms to see if they get an upgrade! (I could get excited for them couldn't I - It could happen - think little JP in Angels in the outfield!)

It is strange because our boat is practically SOLD OUT. Only inside rooms (4) and 1 minisuite that someone must have cancelled on, and then a 6b GTY ocean view. I would think with all the categories above us being sold out, that we would be able to tell the cabin numbers, (which is how I found this thread). But when I try modify this booking it still shows guarantee. I even talked with Carnival yesterday because I found an error in the seating arrangements (one twosome had 5 something dinner the rest of us are at 8:00) and they said cabin assignments haven't happened yet.

Oh well - keep waiting. Conratulations - it certainly sounds to me like you got an upgrade! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Our cabin was upgraded twice after I received my docs and luggage tags on recent Valor cruise. We went from Deck 1 ocean view to Deck 6 balcony and we had booked a specific cabin, not guarantee. We were quite pleased, especially after so many on these boards have said that the upgrade fairy doesn't visit those who book a specific cabin. We were notified by phone each time. The second time being the day before we left.

Archived