Please help me choose my next cruise

Kelsey D

I've got it narrowed down to two options for March 2018. Please help me decide which is best for my family of five (kids will be 10, 14 and 18).

We've been to Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Maarten, San Juan, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts on the Sunshine and Liberty and loved both.

Option 1: 7-day Eastern on Magic

Ports: Amber Cove (only new port), Grand Turk, St. Thomas, and San Juan

Price: $2,928 with 5 people in 1 cabin

Pros: Newer ship with more amenities for kids, cheaper, one day longer, ports are farther south (warmer water?), and we love St. John from St. Thomas

Cons: Kids miss 5-6 school days, only 1 cabin

Option 2: 6-day Eastern on Conquest

Ports: Amber Cove, Grand Turk (only repeat port), Half Moon Cay, and Nassau

Price: $3,401 with 5 people in 2 cabins

Pros: Week leading up to Easter, so kids only miss 3 school days, 2 cabins, 3 new ports

Cons: 1 less day (will spend more time in FL though), more expensive, Nassau, less amenities on ship

Priorities are saving money this time, nice beaches for 18 y/o, and Amber Cove (27 waterfalls) for 10 y/o. Would love to have the kids miss less school because it's getting harder as they're getting older.

Option 1 is available the week leading up to Easter, but it's $3,828 for one cabin. Worth it?

I need some convincing one way or the other. Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've got it narrowed down to two options for March 2018. Please help me decide which is best for my family of five (kids will be 10, 14 and 18).

We've been to Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Maarten, San Juan, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts on the Sunshine and Liberty and loved both.

Option 1: 7-day Eastern on Magic

Ports: Amber Cove (only new port), Grand Turk, St. Thomas, and San Juan

Price: $2,928 with 5 people in 1 cabin

Pros: Newer ship with more amenities for kids, cheaper, one day longer, ports are farther south (warmer water?), and we love St. John from St. Thomas

Cons: Kids miss 5-6 school days, only 1 cabin

Option 2: 6-day Eastern on Conquest

Ports: Amber Cove, Grand Turk (only repeat port), Half Moon Cay, and Nassau

Price: $3,401 with 5 people in 2 cabins

Pros: Week leading up to Easter, so kids only miss 3 school days, 2 cabins, 3 new ports

Cons: 1 less day (will spend more time in FL though), more expensive, Nassau, less amenities on ship

Priorities are saving money this time, nice beaches for 18 y/o, and Amber Cove (27 waterfalls) for 10 y/o. Would love to have the kids miss less school because it's getting harder as they're getting older.

Option 1 is available the week leading up to Easter, but it's $3,828 for one cabin. Worth it?

I need some convincing one way or the other. Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Magic is the "nicer" ship with much more for the kids to with sports square. And it is $500 cheaper but with everyone in one room. We don't travel with our kids in our room; 2 rooms is a must so in my opinion you are not comparing apples to apples. But given your list of priorities, I would take the cheaper trip and put everyone in one room. You are going to have additional costs on this trip with more ports where you will spend $ for shore excursions.

We just came back from this exact trip on the Magic. Be warned about the waterfalls...it s a 45 min hike across a flowing river (your shoes will flood with sand and you can't get it all out for the hike) and then mostly up hills/stairs - but some down and the stairs are slick. The path was rocky, muddy and slippery and you absolutely must have closed toed water shoes with a good bottom. This would not be an excursion that would be allowed in the US; you are wearing a helmet but jumping into small pools of water from as high as 7 meters - we often hit bottom. We enjoyed it, and are glad we did it but would not do it again. All 4 of us (my, DH, and 18 and 12 yo sons) walked away with scrapes, bumps and bruises. We lost out because they told us not to take our waterproof camera, but DH could have managed it easily - they were just trying to sell the video - and because they allowed a grandma and special needs child to go that slowed us down and we missed the plantation stop at the end.

PS due to time we only did the 12 waterfalls and that was ENOUGH for us.

Edited by A&Jfamily

Magic is the "nicer" ship with much more for the kids to with sports square. And it is $500 cheaper but with everyone in one room. We don't travel with our kids in our room; 2 rooms is a must so in my opinion you are not comparing apples to apples. But given your list of priorities, I would take the cheaper trip and put everyone in one room. You are going to have additional costs on this trip with more ports where you will spend $ for shore excursions.

We just came back from this exact trip on the Magic. Be warned about the waterfalls...it s a 45 min hike across a flowing river (your shoes will flood with sand and you can't get it all out for the hike) and then mostly up hills/stairs - but some down and the stairs are slick. The path was rocky, muddy and slippery and you absolutely must have closed toed water shoes with a good bottom. This would not be an excursion that would be allowed in the US; you are wearing a helmet but jumping into small pools of water from as high as 7 meters - we often hit bottom. We enjoyed it, and are glad we did it but would not do it again. All 4 of us (my, DH, and 18 and 12 yo sons) walked away with scrapes, bumps and bruises. We lost out because they told us not to take our waterproof camera, but DH could have managed it easily - they were just trying to sell the video - and because they allowed a grandma and special needs child to go that slowed us down and we missed the plantation stop at the end.

PS due to time we only did the 12 waterfalls and that was ENOUGH for us.

Thank you for the feedback. We'll definitely have closed-toe water shoes and stick with 12 waterfalls. Despite the bumps and bruises, was it worth it? If one of us is scared of a big jump, is there an alternate way to get down the fall? Are there other ports that have a similar excursion?

The sports deck on Magic is a major selling-point for us. My only hesitancy about this option is pulling the kids out of school longer. One cabin isn't ideal, but it's not a deal-breaker.

I'm inclined to say Magic seeing that money is a factor. The issue though is the room overcrowding. What category room is it?

Ensure you get the work from the school for the kids before you leave. This way the days missed doesn't really affect them too much.

If you do not like all those repeat ports then you should go on Conquest.

I'm inclined to say Magic seeing that money is a factor. The issue though is the room overcrowding. What category room is it?

Ensure you get the work from the school for the kids before you leave. This way the days missed doesn't really affect them too much.

If you do not like all those repeat ports then you should go on Conquest.

We're looking at a deluxe ocean view cabin on Magic, which has two washrooms. Should help out when we're getting ready for dinner.

We had one OV cabin for the five of us on the Sunshine. It was tight, but we managed.

We left the kids at home for the southern itinerary on the Liberty. ;) Loved the space!

We like all of the repeat ports. Magic really is my preferred ship and itinerary, but Conquest offers two cabins and Easter week.

I can do Magic the week of Easter for about $3,828. Tempting, but is sparing the kids three more missed days of school worth an extra $900?

Have you checked pricing on other lines? Just curious. We started out on Carnival, 1 NCL, and last 2 on NCL.

You can't beat some of the perks NCL offers.

I'm locked in with Carnival, unfortunately. I have the same Magic itinerary already booked with Early Saver (two cabins for $4,088) this Thanksgiving, and I have to cancel. I'm losing $250 to switch, which is upsetting. That's one reason why I'm trying to keep costs down with this rescheduling.

We're looking at a deluxe ocean view cabin on Magic, which has two washrooms. Should help out when we're getting ready for dinner.

We had one OV cabin for the five of us on the Sunshine. It was tight, but we managed.

We left the kids at home for the southern itinerary on the Liberty. ;) Loved the space!

We like all of the repeat ports. Magic really is my preferred ship and itinerary, but Conquest offers two cabins and Easter week.

I can do Magic the week of Easter for about $3,828. Tempting, but is sparing the kids three more missed days of school worth an extra $900?

That cabin would be fine. I would say call the school before booking and see how much information the kids will miss if they are away from school. That should be prioritized before booking. If it is something they can do before or after the trip then go for the cheaper one. If they have to miss exams or something important then you may have to pay the extra money for Easter. Consider it your Easter spending and vacation in one. Just don't do anything you will regret later.

Are your kids still in elementary? I would like the Magic but with the school days missed I would have said Conquest. If you kids are still young not HS students then Magic.

My kids will be 18, 14 and 10 and will be in grades 12, 8, and 4. It's the last week of the 3rd quarter. My fourth grader will have no issue missing a week. My eighth grader will have to work a little to make up missed work, but I know the teachers personally, and they are all very reasonable. I'm not sure about my senior. When I was in school, the last semester was a breeze for most students, but I'm not sure how much things have changed in the past 20 years.