Heathrow to Southampton

Richw

No first hand experience, but I see they are also based near Southampton which makes them a rival for Smiths. They also get very good reviews on TA.

I would get quotes from both companies before you make a decision.

If you do, it would be good if you could post the result on here for the rest of us. The question in your heading is the most frequent on this board.

Edited by Bob++

There have been many, many recommendations for Smiths. Has anyone used a service called The English Rose Collection. If so how was it? Thanks

If you are comparing quotes, throw Aquacars.co.uk into the mix. We found the service very good...

We are a group of 8 disembarking in Southampton, and need to catch a 1 pm flight midweek in June. We've checked with a couple of private transfer operators, and they all recommend we allow 2 hours for the transfer itself. But none can advise how much time to allow at the airport. Can anyone advise what is a reasonable pickup time at the cruise terminal.

Thanks very much!

Sam

But none can advise how much time to allow at the airport.
Who are you flying with, and where to? And does anyone have any special requirements?

As a generality, if you arrive at Heathrow about two hours before your flight departs, you should be in good time.

You need to allow about 90 minutes for the drive from Southampton to LHR and two hours to get through the airport. I am surprised that the operators you contacted couldn't qoute times.

For 8 people with cruise luggage you will need a minibus (van). You could try for quotes from these operators as they are local to Southampton.

http://southamptonminibus.co.uk/

http://www.travel-gemini.co.uk/

Who are you flying with, and where to? And does anyone have any special requirements?

As a generality, if you arrive at Heathrow about two hours before your flight departs, you should be in good time.

Thanks very much for your advice. We're flying with Icelandair to Reykjavik. No special requirements.

You need to allow about 90 minutes for the drive from Southampton to LHR and two hours to get through the airport. I am surprised that the operators you contacted couldn't qoute times.

For 8 people with cruise luggage you will need a minibus (van). You could try for quotes from these operators as they are local to Southampton.

http://southamptonminibus.co.uk/

http://www.travel-gemini.co.uk/

Thanks, Bob++. I contacted Smiths for Airports and EnglishRoseCollection, both highly rated on TA, neither would advise on time to get through the airport, only the transfer time. I'll try the two operators you suggest.

Thanks again!

Thanks, Bob++. I contacted Smiths for Airports and EnglishRoseCollection, both highly rated on TA, neither would advise on time to get through the airport, only the transfer time. I'll try the two operators you suggest.

Thanks again!

We can say it takes a couple of hours and if we are wrong - ok, sorry about that. If they say two hours and you miss your flight because it took longer - you might sue; or they worry that you might; or their legal advisors think that; or, more likely - some bloke in the pub told them that someone once sued a taxi firm for £squillions.

We can say it takes a couple of hours and if we are wrong - ok, sorry about that. If they say two hours and you miss your flight because it took longer - you might sue; or they worry that you might; or their legal advisors think that; or, more likely - some bloke in the pub told them that someone once sued a taxi firm for £squillions.

Haha...you're absolutely right! :rolleyes:

We'll just allow a little extra time for the airport to be safe. We've heard some horror stories where people got caught up in unexpected traffic gridlock or passenger congestion at the airport. We don't want to leave the ship any earlier than we have to, but better safe than sorry, I guess.

Thanks again!

..... We don't want to leave the ship any earlier than we have to, but better safe than sorry, I guess.

We were on the Icelandair Heathrow to Reykjavik flight last May. If you are in either Icelandair's Saga Class or Premium Economy you can use their club room at Heathrow. I detest Heathrow so it was nice to sit in their club room enjoying a beverage and some snacks.

We were on the Icelandair Heathrow to Reykjavik flight last May. If you are in either Icelandair's Saga Class or Premium Economy you can use their club room at Heathrow. I detest Heathrow so it was nice to sit in their club room enjoying a beverage and some snacks.

If you are not using an airline with a lounge or have a ticket that does not give you access to one, you could still book a lounge.

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/terminal-facilities-and-services/lounges

Edited by Hatters cruiser

A 9am pick up at the pier will be after the worst of the commuter traffic & get you to the airport about 10.30.

Heathrow advises arriving 3 hours ahead, but IMHO that's overkill.

Two hours is plenty, and you have that extra half-hour of wiggle time.

JB :)

Thanks to everyone for your great advice. We've decided to go with John Bull's recommendation and book a 9 am pickup. Sounds very logical to miss the brunt of morning commuter traffic. The airport here in Toronto always advises arriving 3 hours before flight time, and we always end up sitting around waiting and waiting. Its been many years since we passed through Heathrow so we weren't sure what to expect there. I suppose there is always the chance of a backup due to unforeseen events, but 9 am will hopefully give us plenty of wiggle time.